PDA

View Full Version : The Way of The Scout.

Sarge47
12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I've made it no secret how I feel about the role Boy Scouts have played in learning so much about the outdoors. That's the key to Outdoors Survival; not to "Survive" in the outdoors, but to "THRIVE" in the outdoors. Yes, crap can still happen, but a good outdoors-person is ready for just about anything that comes their way. I want to share something here from the 1943 Handbook For Boys that was put out for the Boy Scouts of that day. I don't believe it just pertains to boys, but to the Wolves, and others like us. Read it and tell me what you think.

What is a Boy Scout?

A Scout, what fun he finds hiking in the woods! He tells North from South by the stars or East from West by the shadows.

He can talk to a brother Scout across a river by signaling. He knows the principle trees and birds and animals that he meets. He knows which are poisonous weeds or reptiles. He can find his way as did the Indians and pioneers before him.

If matches are forgotten, he laughs and proceeds to kindle a fire by rubbing sticks together or by striking steel on flint. The fire once started, what good things he can cook out there in the open!

He keeps himself physically fit. He avoids poisons of alcohol or tobacco. He guards his tongue against from loose speech or boasting or sacrilege. When he speaks of anyone he tries to speak well of them.

His Scout "Good Turns" to someone each day make him many friends- for the way to have friends is to 1st BE one. His motto is "Be Prepared" and he thinks through in advance what he would do in fire or storm.

When someone is injured he is ready to help them with his 1st aid knowledge.
He always tries to be a useful citizen. He helps his community.

Another big thing a Scout enjoys is camping- there he finds fun in game or swim- finds new friends in woods and other fellows- and there among the trees, or under God's silent stars, or by the camp fires ruddy embers, he dreams out his great TOMORROW.

See anything familiar? And remember, this stuff was taught to boys age 11 and up. :cool:

Rick
12-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Sure do. I was an Explorer Scout and our leader had done a solo down the Mississippi by canoe. It was a lot later than '43 but he still taught along those lines. We spent a lot of time outdoors and community service was a must in his book.

Sarge47
12-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Sure do. I was an Explorer Scout and our leader had done a solo down the Mississippi by canoe. It was a lot later than '43 but he still taught along those lines. We spent a lot of time outdoors and community service was a must in his book.

I was at a Job Corps center in McCoy Wisconsin and a Vista Worker came there and started up an "Explorer" group. We had some great times camping out by a lake where there was nobody else around. Loved it! Miss it!:(

Nativedude
12-03-2007, 01:36 AM
All the Scouting programs are excellent and should be mandatory in school for all kids. . .IMHO!!

From Tiger to Eagle all are character builders for kids, and for their future. :)

Proud American
12-03-2007, 11:13 AM
The Current Scout Book does not sound like that. Even though they teach you all those things. I dont know of any page or intro like that in my currnent scout book.

Im with Nativedude but Scouting sadly isnt importamt to alot of people anymore, the only reason im in Scouts is that my church is a big time supporter and emphasises Scouts. Who knows maybe where you live theres alot of Scouts, but in my area at High School age there just not alot of them.

Sarge47
12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
The Current Scout Book does not sound like that. Even though they teach you all those things. I dont know of any page or intro like that in my currnent scout book.

Im with Nativedude but Scouting sadly isnt importamt to alot of people anymore, the only reason im in Scouts is that my church is a big time supporter and emphasises Scouts. Who knows maybe where you live theres alot of Scouts, but in my area at High School age there just not alot of them.

The pages aren't in your Scout Handbook because they've been deleted. That was my point, Scouting has lost it's initial focus on the woods and the outdoors. No, there are not a lot of scouts around here. One troop I used to belong to as an Asst S/M has vanished and no one remembers it. But here's my points:

A.) Look for "like-minded people" in your troop, if you can find any, and start your own "Survival Group" within the troop.

B.) Find other "like-minded" people OUTSIDE of your troop if the above fails and start your own club.

Hope this helps. If nothing else, start your own book on Survival.:cool:
C.) Hang out here no matter what and learn as best you can. However there is no substitute for "hands-on" training.

Sarge47
12-03-2007, 01:04 PM
The pages aren't in your Scout Handbook because they've been deleted. That was my point, Scouting has lost it's initial focus on the woods and the outdoors. No, there are not a lot of scouts around here. One troop I used to belong to as an Asst S/M has vanished and no one remembers it. But here's my points:

A.) Look for "like-minded people" in your troop, if you can find any, and start your own "Survival Group" within the troop.

B.) Find other "like-minded" people OUTSIDE of your troop if the above fails and start your own club.

C.) Hang out here no matter what and learn as best you can. However there is no substitute for "hands-on" training.

Hope this helps, but no matter what, never quit learning.:cool:

Beo
12-04-2007, 11:07 AM
We used to pick on and intimadate boy scouts when I was young and stupid, took their little brass wolf thingy that held the neck bandana around their neck, it shames me now to think of the ones we picked on and if knew where they were now I'd apologize for that. Being older and more mature (for the most part) I think it was more a jealousy thing because they were apart of something bigger than the group of punks I hung with. That group only lasted a year or so and then we went our ways, the Scouts have endured many many years always showing pride, learning, and teaching what needs to be taught to kids all over.

Sarge47
12-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Probably a good thing you weren't in Wareagle's or Trax's neck of the woods, that would have been baaad! Those scouts were tough!:D:D

trax
12-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Ever see the movie Spy Game? Scouts grow up to be army snipers and CIA assassins dude, I've spent the best part of my years lookin' over my shoulder for the one I punched in the nose. :D :D

Beo
12-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Bring'em on bro :D I can still snatch a knot in their azz a boy scout couldn't untie, pardon the pun :D Does that mean I'm not really sorry? Besides I may be old but I can still take this cane and make a scoutsicle outta them. :D lol... ohhhh I kill myself>

trax
12-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Scoutsickle??? Awww man, just when I start thinking there's hope for you...yeah ok, I'm laffin'. I don't worry about the ones that I can reach with my walking stick bro, it's the one that can sit a thousand yards out and pop the top on my lid in a high wind. (Sneaky ba##ard boy scouts!) You best be nice, Scouts America may just have a merit badge with your name and face on it...("OK troop, here's a special badge for the scout that ..takes..this ...guy..out!) LMAOOO

Beo
12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Ever see the movie where the guy says: "Don't work like that son this ain't the movies." and I'd pit my skills against a military sniper any day, not that I'm better or thnk i'm better but think of the great test of skills.

trax
12-04-2007, 03:04 PM
I just mentioned the movie because Brad Pitt tells Robert Redford he learned to shoot in the boy scouts and sure enough..he's a sniper. As far as trying my skills against a sniper....hey, you only get to be wrong once right?

Rick
12-04-2007, 03:04 PM
You guys keep that crap up and the President Elect of the BSA will be on here reaming us next. Then, of course, he'll be off to Aspen for the fresh powder......

Beo
12-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Oh noooo the BSA's head hunting me!!! Help I'm fleeing to Canada. The BSC is om my side :D Wouldn't that cause an internal civil war, The North & South Part II Battle of the Scouts.

Rick
12-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Part II? Like the first one is over? Shoot, the South did give up. They're just taking a breather to regroup.

trax
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Now you guys have me picturing these little cub scouts making those boats out of two by fours with a nail in the middle for the sail as fast as they can crank them out so they'll have naval forces...floating them up and down rivers at each other...Oh the humanity!

Rick
12-04-2007, 03:25 PM
To paraphrase Robert Duvall, "You smell that? Do you smell that? Hot cocoa, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of hot cocoa in the morning."

Beo
12-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Dude the South got whipped, and we won. And those from Kentucky I don't wanna hear a thing cause you guys sceded to the union first. But that was over more than two hundred years ago, I'm moving on now since I wasn't here for the battles. I'm talking bout.... oh never mind I'm going back to Beowulfistan.

Rick
12-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Uh, negative there Beo. Restin' and regroupin'. The South's gonna rise again.

Beo
12-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Rick your from Central Indiana, not the south.

Rick
12-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Ah, but I was raised in Southern Illinois....ya'll.

Rick
12-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Back home we warsh things. Ain't got stuff. Don't make no never mind. Shore 'nough. And ya'll come back now. It's where redneck is spoken, lived, breathed and country music reins supreme along with Winchester and Budweiser. Although I was always a PBR man, myself.

Beo
12-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Southern Illinois is not the southern United States, its the mid-west. You're outta the fight bro, :D And wouldn't join a fight here in the U.S (except invasion) I'd head to the wilds and leave ya'll to fight it out.

Rick
12-04-2007, 03:45 PM
It's like goin' to Portsmouth, Ohio, Beo. Tell them they ain't in the South.

Beo
12-04-2007, 03:49 PM
They ain't in the south. Nowhere in Ohio is in the Southern US, simple geogrophy. But I don't get into the whole North vs South deal anyway. A country boy can be found anywhere.

nell67
12-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Back home we warsh things. Ain't got stuff. Don't make no never mind. Shore 'nough. And ya'll come back now. It's where redneck is spoken, lived, breathed and country music reins supreme along with Winchester and Budweiser. Although I was always a PBR man, myself.

True story. I was an all white kid in and all white family in an all white neighborhood in an all white county. That's the truth, too.

Rick? Are ya shore you werent born'n raised in Indiana???We talk like that here too,oh wait yore in CENTRAL Indiana!!!!!!!!LMAO!!!:eek:

Beo
12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Still not the South.

Smok
12-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Sarge47 your right the kids need help they need to go out in the woods more. A girl Friend of mine had a son 13 years old then , he was in the Scoots . I went with the group a few times and kept my mouth shut . But I can only take so much the group leaders new absolutely nothing . So soon I was tailing them little things like , how to sharpen a knife , what type of boots you need in the woods , way that fire is so smoky. I had only been there 3 times and the leaders were more then willing to step back and lat me show the boys how the woods can work for you and not against you. ....Now I am retired and have time. I am thinking of going to the Scoots and help out if I can . Your post has given me the push to go " THANKS ".* :rolleyes:** I think ????* :D

Sarge47
12-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Sarge47 your right the kids need help they need to go out in the woods more. A girl Friend of mine had a son 13 years old then , he was in the Scoots . I went with the group a few times and kept my mouth shut . But I can only take so much the group leaders new absolutely nothing . So soon I was tailing them little things like , how to sharpen a knife , what type of boots you need in the woods , way that fire is so smoky. I had only been there 3 times and the leaders were more then willing to step back and lat me show the boys how the woods can work for you and not against you. ....Now I am retired and have time. I am thinking of going to the Scoots and help out if I can . Your post has given me the push to go " THANKS ".* :rolleyes:** I think ????* :D

Glad to hear it Smok; I can't tell you what a difference you can make in someone's life. I'll be posting more on this later.:cool::cool:

Sarge47
12-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Elsewhere I've printed the "Survival list" that The Boy Scouts had printed out in their 1984 Field Book. In their 1969 FB they had a 33pg. chapter(#16) dedicated to Survival, with a "how to make a SK" in chapter #24. My last visit to a Boy Scout supply store revealed how dissapointing the current Field Book is/was. The fellow at the shop was selling Paul Tarwell's 1st book in their place to any interested. I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this but it comes from the 1984 FB's chapter #12: "Survival Preparedness" as a quote proceeding the chapter. BTW, this chapter is only 4 pages long. They kept losing their informative thrust to an important topic.

"The worst thing you can do is get frightened. The truly dangerous enemy is not the cold or the hunger, so much as the fear. It robs the wanderer of his judgment and of his limb power; it is fear that turns the passing experience into
a final tragedy...keep cool and all will be well...use what you have, where you are, right now." Ernest Thompson Seton, 1908.

Truer words were never spoken. If one can teach this to young people what a strong adult they can become.:cool:

Rick
12-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Smok, a bit of the obvious. Teaching your skills and sharing your knowledge is just one more way of achieving immortality. I'm sure you've heard the old saying that no man dies until he's forgotten. I think that is also true of the knowledge and skills we pass on. Sort of, "No man dies until what he has taught is forgotten." My youngest son and I are already passing our knowledge on to my grandchildren. Giving your time to the Scouts is an admirable, thoughtful, and giving present that can allows you to live on through them.

My humble thoughts.

Smok
12-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Thanks Rick I've thought of that as I have no kids . I was too busy with work to even get married ,and now ...Well :o..You all know, it is the same old story ..:cool:

Beo
12-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Yeah, but even Jermaih Johnson got a squaw. :D

pgvoutdoors
12-20-2007, 01:41 AM
As a District committee member, and now a Assistant Scout Master, I've seen the good and the bad in the BSA as well as the boys. The bottom line is that the BSA still offers a great program for boys to have fun, plus learn a bit about responsibility. It may not lean as heavily on the outdoor activities as it once did, but I can't think of many programs left that do as much as the BSA. I have a troop of forty boys, we camp every month, and have a High Adventure Program every other year. The boy do good, they try hard and always come away learning something. No man I've met speaks ill of his time as a scout, be it one year or all the way to Eagle. Yes, I was a Scout and my son is working on his Eagle!!! I believe outdoor skills should be passed on in any reasonable manner possible.

Sarge47
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
As a District committee member, and now a Assistant Scout Master, I've seen the good and the bad in the BSA as well as the boys. The bottom line is that the BSA still offers a great program for boys to have fun, plus learn a bit about responsibility. It may not lean as heavily on the outdoor activities as it once did, but I can't think of many programs left that do as much as the BSA. I have a troop of forty boys, we camp every month, and have a High Adventure Program every other year. The boy do good, they try hard and always come away learning something. No man I've met speaks ill of his time as a scout, be it one year or all the way to Eagle. Yes, I was a Scout and my son is working on his Eagle!!! I believe outdoor skills should be passed on in any reasonable manner possible.

Yeah, like he said! There's always room in the scouts for Survival training.:):)

FVR
12-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Boy Scouts offer a great program if you're religious beliefs are the same as theirs and if you are not .......................no need to go there.

But then what do I know, I went and got kicked out for beating the crap out of a fellow BS, (big SOB) one for hitting me with a stick. So, I hit him with a chain, alot harder. Then my mother hit me with a belt even harder.

Boy, I just opened a can of worms.

Sarge47
12-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Boy Scouts offer a great program if you're religious beliefs are the same as theirs and if you are not .......................no need to go there.

But then what do I know, I went and got kicked out for beating the crap out of a fellow BS, (big SOB) one for hitting me with a stick. So, I hit him with a chain, alot harder. Then my mother hit me with a belt even harder.

Boy, I just opened a can of worms.

See? I told those Boy Scouts were a tough outfit, but get a load of that "Den-Mother!" Talk about tough!:D

awfoxden
03-17-2008, 12:34 AM

I agree 100%. i also am in scouting and have been for the last 3 years even though i don't have a son in scouting yet. one of the many things that adult leadership training (woodbadge) teaches is "leaving a legacy". there is also another saying "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

a local troops focus nowdays is based on what the direction of the local troop wants to do. if you have active adult leaders (very dificult to find responsible adults unselfish enough to give of themselver these days; life always gets in the way) you can still lead, influence, and direct the troop into these kinds of outdoor programs as in the old days. its just requires more involvement and planning. the limits that i have seen in bsa have always come from what the adults are willing to do or invest. the kids imaginations run like wild fire and they love camping and being outdoors.

as for being apart of the religion that the troop is apart of - bsa doesn't prescribe to any one religion and all are welcome and tolerance and respect for all faiths is (or should be) taught and encoraged. i realize this is not always the case but again individual units run their programs differently. all should conform to the national bsa program but unfortunatly many do not. it is like just about any organization you will always have some chaff with the weat. its apart of human nature.

i see the scouts as an extreamly valuble organization that still benifits everyone in the country. yes its not what it was a generation ago, that is too bad, i wish i could be, but as most things in life it has changed with time. i still believe that its a good organization that i'm willing to invest my time into and if i can help 1 boy to grow into a good man then that is all the legacy i need to leave behind. i cant wait for my son to be old enough to start scout as this will be great times for father and son to spend together, but also it will aid him in growing into a good and moral person, a strong leader, and a responsible american.

the other benefit for me is a great excuse for me to get out backpacking and camping at least once per month and gives me the oportunity to pass on some of the woodsman skills ive learned. the great part is when a young man looks at you right in the eye and says thank you, and you know he realy means it. what more reason to you need to help them out.

i would encourage anyone with the types of outdoor skills that i've seen on this site to get involved and volunteer you time with a local bsa troop. i promise you won't be disapointed.

ok - i'll get off my soap box and stop giving my sales pitch. but it is a great program

Beo
03-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Here's my only problem with Boy Scouts, when my son was old he got into it and supported it whole heartedly. I taught the first aid portion and a little woodworking, then it came time to make those stupid boats and have that dumbazz race and weeks on end went into this, then it as time to make those little cars or dragesters and weeks of preperations went into this, then one meeting was having the boys drive nails into 2x4s (not sheee-it and I thought that was really stupid) then they went to Disney Something or other on Ice (stupid) and then we did the stars (only the mom teaching it didn't wanna go outside and did it on the ceiling with some goofy thing she made) then it was paintball to teach about guns (now that made me mad), then any money we raised didn't stay for our boys went somewhere else, and the list went on until my son asked about going camping and learning about animals, they blew him off and he said "Daddy, I wanna learn about the outdoors. So we quit and I taught him for several years, then he went his way for a while, and now he's back wanting to learn all he can.
Boy Scouts did nothing for survival, outdoors skills, or nature here and that is sad. They have gone down hill, maybe not in your area but at least here they have.

trax
03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
When my kids were still kids and when it comes to teaching kids....There was this buddy of mine who happened to be a minister of a certain church. I wasn't a member but we were pretty good friends. He tells me one year that they have these "day camps" for kids. I think ages 8 to 12 or something like that. My boys were 8 and 9 at the time. He tells me all about the great activities and they'll get to go on day hikes out in the bush etc etc, so I asked them and they said "sure!" so I signed them up.

After their one day hiking in the bush, the leaders came to visit the parents. Oldest son's group leader got the group lost and my boy had to show them the way home. Youngest son's group leader couldn't get a campfire started so my kid got the fire going.

The group leaders said to me "you must spend a lot of time with your boys in the outdoors for them to know these things"

I said, "heck no, that stuff just comes natural to Indians." I did it with a straight face too. When they came back with their day camps the next summer, the boys didn't want to join.

marberry
03-17-2008, 02:23 PM
i learned to shoot in the boy scouts , we have a different kind of system in canada i think.. im pretty sure i was a wolverine scout; anyone herd of that or am i misremembering?

Beo
03-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Naw he's an X-Men:D

Catfish
03-17-2008, 02:39 PM
What is a Boy Scout?

He avoids poisons of alcohol or tobacco
I was a Scout from when I was 11 to when I was 16, (Britain dropped the word 'boy' from the name quite a bit before my time), but obviously whoever wrote this handbook never saw our troop. :D

canid
03-17-2008, 02:44 PM
you can take the man out of the south but you can't take the south out of the man. sometimes not even out of the whole family tree.

Beo
03-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Scout sounds better than Boy Scout, to me any way.

awfoxden
03-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Here's my only problem with Boy Scouts, when my son was old he got into it and supported it whole heartedly. I taught the first aid portion and a little woodworking, then it came time to make those stupid boats and have that dumbazz race and weeks on end went into this, then it as time to make those little cars or dragesters and weeks of preperations went into this, then one meeting was having the boys drive nails into 2x4s (not sheee-it and I thought that was really stupid) then they went to Disney Something or other on Ice (stupid) and then we did the stars (only the mom teaching it didn't wanna go outside and did it on the ceiling with some goofy thing she made) then it was paintball to teach about guns (now that made me mad), then any money we raised didn't stay for our boys went somewhere else, and the list went on until my son asked about going camping and learning about animals, they blew him off and he said "Daddy, I wanna learn about the outdoors. So we quit and I taught him for several years, then he went his way for a while, and now he's back wanting to learn all he can.
Boy Scouts did nothing for survival, outdoors skills, or nature here and that is sad. They have gone down hill, maybe not in your area but at least here they have.

Beowulf,

it sounds like the cub scouts. they do alot of what your discribing. if it was a boy scout troop i would urge you to send you concerns to your local council or national level since this is not as it should be. i'm sorry for your experience. i've seen stories like this time and again since ive been involved with them. all i can say is if i don't try to make a difference who will?

cub scouts generally go from ages 8-11years old. are very family focused and do very little outdoor experience.

boy scouts are 11-18 years of age and a healthy unit should have the outdoor experience as their main focus as well as exposing the young men to many different fields i.e. merit badges, which they may want to pursue once in college.

varsity scouts - 14-18 more team based activities - some outdoors stuff. i've not spent alot of time with this program.

venturing scouts 14-21years old. high adventure. if the scouts can think it they are encouraged to try - mountaineering, whitewater rafting, rock climbing ect. may also have a large emphasis on community service depending on unit. used to be known as the rangers i think. it is also a coed program.

Rick
03-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Explorer Scouts were the 14-21 year olds (officially Explorers is I remember right). I was in that. We had a branch that did outdoor stuff as you describe and a branch with Civil Air Patrol. We even had a group with Civil Defense.

Beo
03-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Scouts shmouts, I can teach my boy and his friends more than he'll ever learn in the Scouts and have done so for years, from wilderness survival to firearms. No mansy pansy boat races or wooden car races here that teaches nothing to them, IMHO.

Rick
03-18-2008, 09:54 AM
To each his own. I enjoyed the Explorers and we never did boats or cars. We did do first aid, weather (even tornado spotting), camping, and survival. The county Civil Defense had an underground bunker that we "maintained" (cleaned, made sure stocks were rotated, everything was functional). We even took care of their REO truck (again, cleaning and that sort of thing). I look back on that with some fond memories and walked away not only with a lot of knowledge but a healthy respect for people and things.

trax
03-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Scouts shmouts, I can teach my boy and his friends more than he'll ever learn in the Scouts and have done so for years, from wilderness survival to firearms. No mansy pansy boat races or wooden car races here that teaches nothing to them, IMHO.

Beo, I taught my kids too, and I'm teaching my grandkid, the thing is there are a lot of kids out there that don't have a guy like you or me around, anything is better than nothing. When I was a kid, after my Dad died, there was a group of guys at our local Legion hall who put on Christmas parties and a big summer picnic for the kids of dead veterans. My Mom used to drag me out to them, I wasn't much interested and would have rather been out in the bush doing my thing. It took me some time to realize that those guys didn't have to do what they did, they volunteered and did what they could, so in retrospect I have nothing but gratitude and respect for them.

We've had plenty of laughs over my experience with the scouts, but I have to say, like I mentioned in that other thread, those guys could be out swilling beer at the local bowling alley or pool hall, or working on cars in the backyard, instead they're trying to do some good shtuff with some kids. Those kids could join the scouts or they could join whatever your local name for the posse is, but if those scouts aren't there, they just lost an option, didn't they.

Sarge47
03-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Beo, I taught my kids too, and I'm teaching my grandkid, the thing is there are a lot of kids out there that don't have a guy like you or me around, anything is better than nothing. When I was a kid, after my Dad died, there was a group of guys at our local Legion hall who put on Christmas parties and a big summer picnic for the kids of dead veterans. My Mom used to drag me out to them, I wasn't much interested and would have rather been out in the bush doing my thing. It took me some time to realize that those guys didn't have to do what they did, they volunteered and did what they could, so in retrospect I have nothing but gratitude and respect for them.

We've had plenty of laughs over my experience with the scouts, but I have to say, like I mentioned in that other thread, those guys could be out swilling beer at the local bowling alley or pool hall, or working on cars in the backyard, instead they're trying to do some good shtuff with some kids. Those kids could join the scouts or they could join whatever your local name for the posse is, but if those scouts aren't there, they just lost an option, didn't they.

Man, you are now one of my hero's!! I'm really getting choked up about this and I'm not kidding around! My dad never paid much attention to us kids, the family dog got more attention than us,and that's not saying very much. His goal was to be like Al Capone since he grew up in Chicago. The only time he went hunting was with a brand new .22 rifle he'd just bought. He shot a song bird, then cried because he killed it. That was it, no more outdoors. When I was 8 I wanted to join the scouts, Cub Scouts 1st & later Boy Scouts, it was all the same to me; but my folks said no. Nieghborhood politics and finances stood in the way, and I had no positive role models like you guys would have been, so I raised cain in my late teens and early 20's, just missing jail time by blind, stupid, luck! The 60's introduced me to grass, booze, and speed. I wish I had a dad like you guys are to your kids, my hats off to you all! Trax, you're right, man. There are kids out there who don't have the adult leadership they need; I'm glad you're there for them!:cool:

trax
03-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks Sarge, actually I do it because those kids know where to score the really good sh*t, know what I mean? Kidding people I like working with kids.

Sarge47
03-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Since another thread was started along the same lines, I thought I'd revive this old one of mine! I've also included part of it as a blog. :cool2:

Alaskan Survivalist
03-15-2010, 11:01 AM
My father taught me the things you never learn in Boy Scouts, Church or school. He came out of WW II and Korea with a bad attitude and like so many of that era came to Alaska because he was fed up with the United States and most of humanity. Boy Scouts helped to bring balance to the rest of life. Boy Scouts in 1960's Alaska was an experience few can imagine. We did community service too and as part of that there was a 112 year old woman in my neighnorhood that I would help. She had a natural garden and I would walk her out to a bench where sat and told me what to do around the garden and while I worked told me stories of the Gold Rush days in Alaska. It was a bit strange to look at this frail old woman and imagine her as the young wild woman she was as she told me stories about Soapy Smith and Wyatt Earp. I started working young in life so did not make it to higher levels of the Scouts but if I had anything that resembled a childhood it was in the Boy Scouts!