PDA

View Full Version : Concerns

oly
03-27-2010, 09:13 AM
As soon as I heard of this search party was starting I told my wife I was concerned about the experience some might lack, Rattle snakes, coyote dens, mine shafts that has been concealed from claim jumpers, and UXO's. I hope all come back safely.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=10159431

Here's a picture of a heard of wild mustangs in that area.

welderguy
03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
What are the UXO's from ? I have never been to the Utah desert, but if the conditions are anything like Arizona, I hope the searchers have at least the sense to bring plenty of water and stay in groups. And hopefully there wont have to be a search party looking for the search party.

RobertRogers
03-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Beautiful land, to be sure. Thank you for sharing the wild horses pic!

Mine shafts, like old well shafts, possibly explain a number of vanished people. I've come upon several old wells deep in the forest where there are abandoned farms. Imagine falling into one, twenty feet down a narrow shaft. It would be very difficult to locate someone in such a situation.

oly
03-27-2010, 10:57 AM
What are the UXO's from ? I have never been to the Utah desert, but if the conditions are anything like Arizona, I hope the searchers have at least the sense to bring plenty of water and stay in groups. And hopefully there wont have to be a search party looking for the search party.

There is a training area near there and its a similar environment as the northern parts of AZ with water being very scarce unless you know where the springs and watering troffs are.

Mine shafts, like old well shafts, possibly explain a number of vanished people.
I have two friends ( separate incidents) that was riding in the desert that fell into mine shafts, one was riding a dirt bike and luckily just broke his leg and the other was riding a 4 wheeler and died.

Rick
03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Think of the odds of something like that happening. A great big old desert and you ride off into a mine shaft. That's terrible.

hunter63
03-27-2010, 02:11 PM
My experience with dirt bikes or even 4 wheelers, the are two kinds of riders, those who have crashed and those that are going to.........Don't have a dirt bike any more, but do have 4 wheelers, and the same rule applies.

I would imagine this also applies to horses, but they are smarter than a machine.

You just never know, caution need to be used with anything.

LowKey
03-27-2010, 03:16 PM
UXO's = unexploded objects?

BLEUXDOG
03-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Close...unexploded ordnance. Either way TROUBLE!:eek2:

finallyME
03-28-2010, 11:44 PM
Yeah, Dugway proving grounds is right there. The Air force, and Army both still use it as a weapons test area. I even went camping with the boy scouts last weekend near there (we went to white rock, which is north but in the same valley).

Justin Case
03-29-2010, 11:40 AM
There are a Lot of UXO's around here, General Patton used to have a Tank training Base located just outside Needles Ca, (Just across the river)

Pretty Interesting stuff,

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/moja/adhi2b.htm

trax
03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
the wild mustangs aren't setting off any uxo's? smart horses, I reckon.

Justin Case
03-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Snippet,

California
NEEDLES DESERT STAR
Unexploded ordnance to remain at Camp Ibis
By Lee Choquette
March 3, 2004

NEEDLES -- A panel of experts from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the
Bureau of Land Management and the California Department of Toxic
Substance Control came to Needles on Feb. 25 to discuss the results of a
search for unexploded ordnance at Camp Ibis. They also presented the
Corps' proposal for dealing with the ordnance. The Corps will accept
comments on its proposal until March 19.

Camp Ibis lies about 21 miles northwest of Needles. It covers over

Continued @ http://www.cpeo.org/lists/military/2004/msg00167.html

oly
03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah, Dugway proving grounds is right there. The Air force, and Army both still use it as a weapons test area. I even went camping with the boy scouts last weekend near there (we went to white rock, which is north but in the same valley).

I usually go hunting for coyotes in that area about 10 times a year just to get out of the house and sometimes I come across these folks.
http://www.aliendave.com/

finallyME
03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
the wild mustangs aren't setting off any uxo's? smart horses, I reckon.

Probably. We saw a few wild horses when I was there last. I guess they are just smarter, or we just don't hear about a horse getting blowed up. :splat:

finallyME
03-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I usually go hunting for coyotes in that area about 10 times a year just to get out of the house and sometimes I come across these folks.
http://www.aliendave.com/

They are just jealous that they don't live in Arizona or New Mexico.

So, you hunt coyotes by simpson springs. How are the pickings? I have been looking for a good spot. How about rabbits?

oly
03-31-2010, 07:30 PM
They are just jealous that they don't live in Arizona or New Mexico.

So, you hunt coyotes by simpson springs. How are the pickings? I have been looking for a good spot. How about rabbits?

Well the yotes has alot of pressure from hunters, sheep, and cattle herders and are very smart and hard to find or call in ( I haven't tried a electronic yet) and from what I hear is that they need to poison them every year there.
Now for the rabbits. I went out in that area just after a snow storm and walked for about 10 miles and didn't see but 1 rabbit track and several yote tracks.

Rick
03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
We saw a few wild horses when I was there last. I guess they are just smarter

A lot of practice picking their way through a mine field.

"I got one!"
"Mark it and keep moving."