PDA

View Full Version : What would you take on a long road trip?

doug1980
03-26-2010, 04:56 PM
My wife and I are planning our trip back down to Indiana for next summer. We will be driving from Anchorage, AK to Haines Junction, Yukon on the first day. Then to Muncho Lake, B.C on the second day, then to Grande Prairie, Alberta on day three. From there we will head to Saskatoon on day four, then to Grand Forks, N.D and to Topeka on days five and six. Finally on day seven we will arrive home at last. We did this trip in 2008 and made it in 5 days but this time we will have a dog and a 15 month old baby boy. Driving 16-20 hours a day might not work this time. We were going to get a camper for this trip but decided to stay in hotels instead, since the Military will pay for them, not a camper. We had zero mishaps on the way up but we still brought extra gas, spare tires, tools, first aid kit, water, food, blankets, our clothes of course and misc crap. What would you all bring on a trip like this? Baby stuff and pet stuff will be required this time but I feel we were a little light on the survival/emergency stuff last time.

canid
03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
i would be sure to take as much of the food you plan to eat with you as possible, since eating out for such a long period of time is a huge money waster.

bring extra water, extra fluids for the vehicle. keep extra insulating material [blankets] handy. make sure you have extra dry socks for everybody.

bring all the basic vehicle safety equiptment; road flares, a tire kit, extra car key to be on your or your wife's person [not in a purse or pack which might get left in the vehicle] at all times in case of an accidental lock out.

i recommend a tarp, in the event of a lockout or similar during wet weather, and because it's so versatile.

you pretty much know the routine as well as i, so i don't know if i'm adding anything useful.

doug1980
03-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Well two heads are better than one I always say. With everything that we have on our plate to think about and plan for things will get missed or forgotten. Thought it would be wise to get some other opinions and advice, can't hurt.

Rick
03-26-2010, 07:04 PM
A good general first aid kit. Make certain prescription meds are topped out just in case you get stuck some place for a couple of extra days. Make certain the vehicle is safety inspected (belts, hoses, lights, tires). Some extra cash in small bills and some change. Something to keep you and your wife engaged if you are held up for any time (books, magazines, games). A CB radio if you have one.

crashdive123
03-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Doug - the longest road trip I have taken was 15,000 miles in 60 days. It was on a motorcycle so I was limited in space. I took my camping gear, two changes of clothing, some extra foot wear and two bottles of scotch. I was good on everything, but had to replenish the scotch from time to time.

Pal334
03-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Doug - the longest road trip I have taken was 15,000 miles in 60 days. It was on a motorcycle so I was limited in space. I took my camping gear, two changes of clothing, some extra foot wear and two bottles of scotch. I was good on everything, but had to replenish the scotch from time to time.

Crash,, I think the baby may be a little young for the scotch Geeesh !!!

crashdive123
03-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Makes em sleep through the night......

doug1980
03-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Well I'm sure that scotch will come in handy for me at least.

crashdive123
03-26-2010, 10:15 PM
There ya go. You should be all set.

welderguy
03-27-2010, 02:58 AM
The only thing I can think to add to the list would be basic spare parts for the vehicle ( battery terminal ends, spare belt, spare hose, hose repair kit etc etc) a jump start pack, and in the entertainment dept, a portable DVD player.

hunter63
03-27-2010, 02:47 PM
I generally carry way too much stuff, but your trip is kinda interesting as you are going form the USA into Canada, then back again.
What extra rules (border) do you need to follow for trip as you are proposing?

In one post I had done a Google map, driving from SE Wisconsin to Hope AK, was something like 3567 miles.
Then I started thinking about all the "stuff" I might have to take out of the truck to make such a trip.

Alaskan Survivalist
03-27-2010, 03:02 PM
2 cans of Fix-a-Flat, a high limit credit card, Small cooler to buy food from grocery strores instead of restuarants, and music for strecthes of road without good radio. Always bring warm clothes.

doug1980
03-27-2010, 03:46 PM
I generally carry way too much stuff, but your trip is kinda interesting as you are going form the USA into Canada, then back again.
What extra rules (border) do you need to follow for trip as you are proposing?

In one post I had done a Google map, driving from SE Wisconsin to Hope AK, was something like 3567 miles.
Then I started thinking about all the "stuff" I might have to take out of the truck to make such a trip.

Yeah there are a few extra rules going into Canada but we had no issues coming up. Passports for all of us, no guns, rabbies shot record and certificate of pet health for the dog, other than that good to go. Our trip will be about 4,300 miles. Since this will be a permanent move we will have plenty of crap stashed in the truck and since we are towing the jeep it will be full of crap too.

smhg
03-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Okay, as the mom of 4 little ones (6, 4 and 1 1/2 yo twins,) and someone who loves road-trips, I am going to take the baby route on this reply:

* Portable DVD player (if your vehicle does not have one installed) with some favorite DVDs. These are HUGE for us, even at that age!
* Towels to put under and around the babies bottom - not for comfort, but for any leaky stinky diapers! You don't want to have to travel with a rank smelling baby seat :-)
* Use Huggies night-time diapers for travelling. They absorb more, so you don't have to change the baby as frequently.
* Favorite baby toys, comfort items (blanket, stuffed animal, etc.), extra pacifiers if the baby uses them, favorite snacks, 2-3 changes of clothes in main diaper bag each day, and of course have the basic baby meds easily available (tylenol, benadryl, etc.)
* Plenty of juice/water/milk (Carrying some powder juice mix to use in a pinch is not a bad idea - just try it with the baby before you go to be sure he likes it!)
* Paper towels handy.
* Something to use as disposable diaper bags in case you just have to pull over on the side of the road and change the baby in an emergency. You don't want to have to drive in the car with a nasty smell!!! We got them at Target, but plastic grocery bags work great, just make sure there are no holes in them.
* Be sure to give the baby time to run around at your stops - babies bottoms get tired of sitting, too!
* Did I mention the DVD player???? While it may seem frivolous to some, it has made the difference between sanity and insanity (and for making it the distance we wanted) for us at times when on the road.

Well, that's the ''off the top of my head'' reply that I could think of at midnight my time.

Just think about your baby on the most demanding day, and think of what comforts you can take with you to help in those moments! We have driven 15 hours with the babies in one day - that was more than enough!

Also, prepare yourselves, mentally, for any screaming that may come over the course of the trip. It gets really stressful when you are already tired. It is different than being at home, because you cannot just pick up the baby or go to another room while your spouse deals with the crying. The baby is in the seat - and it's easy to take the stress out on the spouse. Just remember - one of the first survival tips - keep a calm head in the situation (even if it's your sweet baby screaming for what seems like a 10-mile eternity!)

Maybe you have already thought of all this stuff...but if not, I hope you get a little something from this!

Have a great trip!

finallyME
03-29-2010, 11:08 AM
DVD player is a must, as mentioned already. And a LOT of movies and books on tape/CD for you to listen to. Oh yeah, headphones so the kid can listen to the movie, and you don't have to. Be glad that you only have one kid and they are young.

"mom, she keeps touching me"
"I can't hear the movie, he is being too loud"
"I have to go to the bathroom" (10 minutes after leaving a stop)
"I am hungry"
"I am thirsty" (we don't give them much to drink for obvious reasons)

oldsoldier
03-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Dvd player is a good idea as well as several audio books in cd or cassette format depending on your vehicle stereo. As a truck driver I find they make the time pass better on long drives. Once you get back state side most truck stops rent them very cheaply and you can return them to another one down the road. Or you can check out here to buy them www.grapicaudio.com or even pick up used ones cheap at www.amazon.com/audiobooks

doug1980
03-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks everyone. Some real good stuff I didn't think of.

minknency
05-31-2010, 06:45 AM
I don't like to take so much stuff in the picnic.But i know that what anyone should take in the picnic,firstly you should take lots of food, music whatever you like or dvd player, one picnic blanket,sleeping bag, camera for taking lots of photos, any game which you like for playing, Plenty of juice/water/milk.

rebel
06-14-2010, 01:25 AM
I don't like to take so much stuff in the picnic.But i know that what anyone should take in the picnic,firstly you should take lots of food, music whatever you like or dvd player, one picnic blanket,sleeping bag, camera for taking lots of photos, any game which you like for playing, Plenty of juice/water/milk.

BooBoo and I like to picnic.

Sourdough
06-14-2010, 01:32 AM
What would you take on a road trip??.

Demi Moore

Rick
06-14-2010, 07:26 AM
An old Alaskan bush pilot died and woke up in Heaven. St. Peter welcomed him aboard. He explained that the old pilot had lived a good life, had been an honest man and a reverent hunter so he had earned a place in Heaven. And, as a reward, he would get to spend the rest of his life with Demi Moore. She was his to do with as he saw fit.

"Wow, she must have lived a good life, too," exclaimed the old bush pilot.

"Sadly, no," replied St. Peter. "She was sent to Hell."

I guess it's all a matter of perspective, huh?