PDA

View Full Version : YOU CHOOSE: Dark and Warm OR Light and Cold

Ken
03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
In the event that the economy REALLY deteriorates :innocent: for the long term, many of us will have to reset our priorities. More businesses may fail. Unemployment may skyrocket. People living on fixed pensions and incomes may face hyper-inflaton. We may all have to make some choices we may have never had to make before, or make tougher ones than we have made before. I thought we could talk about them here.

So I've come up with a list of things I'll ask you to prioritize if you care to. This list is not complete, nor is it intended to be. If one or more items on this list does not apply to you, just don't include it/them in your own list of priorities.

Here are the choices in no particular order. Yeah, I realize that you can cut back on several of these, but that's not my question. If you choose to participate, please rank these in your order of priority:

1. HOME - Keep the current home you own or place you rent instead of "downsizing."

2. HEAT - Keep the heat turned on (regardless of the thermostat setting).

3. INTERNET - Keep the internet service turned on.

4. ELECTRICITY - Keep the lights on and appliances running - or at least some of them.

5. CABLE TV - Keep your cable TV on (even if you go to a cheaper plan).

6. CELL PHONE - Keep your cell phone service.

7. LAND-LINE PHONE - Keep your land line phone in service.

8. TAKE THAT VACATION - Self explanatory.

9. MAINTAIN YOUR FAMILY'S HEALTH INSURANCE POLICY - Or pay as you go.

10. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED DENTAL CARE - Self explanatory.

11. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED MEDICAL CARE - Self explanatory.

12. BUY BEER - or Booze. Seriously.

13. GROCERY SHOP AS NORMAL - As opposed to buying only the most very basic and absolutely least expensive staples.

14. KEEP YOUR PRIMARY CAR ON THE ROAD - Paying for Gas, Maintenance, Insurance, and Car Loan if any.

15. KEEP YOUR SECOND (THIRD, ETC.) CAR ON THE ROAD - Paying for Gas, Maintenance, Insurance, and Car Loan if any.

16. PAY/CONTRIBUTE TO COLLEGE TUITION FOR THE KIDS - Self explanatory.

17. KEEP YOUR PETS - Feed them and provide necessary vet care.

18. CHURCH/RELIGIOUS/NON-RELIGIOUS CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS - Self explanatory.

19. HAVE A CHILD IF YOUR BIOLOGICAL CLOCK IS RIGHT - Assume it's biologically your time and you wanted at least one one but have none.

20. FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT - Self explanatory.

Ken
03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm heading out to the other house now. I'll try to check back later. Yeah, the "extra house" will be the FIRST thing to go. :innocent:

Pal334
03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Here is my wack at the list, I think I hit the highlights

HOME Downsize and move (this is what we have planned and are doing)

HAVE A CHILD IF YOUR BIOLOGICAL CLOCK IS RIGHT Ours are grown, but if it was a "do over" , I could not imagine going through life without.

HEAT Upstate NY will be very "cool" . Explore alternatives.

GROCERY SHOP AS NORMAL To the maximum extent possible.

MAINTAIN YOUR FAMILY'S HEALTH INSURANCE POLICY

ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED DENTAL CARE

KEEP YOUR PRIMARY CAR ON THE ROAD WOuld maintain current vehicle (s), New would not be a priority

CELL PHONE Got rid of landline years ago anyways

ELECTRICITY

INTERNET Valuable, information,communication and entertainment

KEEP YOUR SECOND (THIRD, ETC.) CAR ON THE ROAD

PAY/CONTRIBUTE TO COLLEGE TUITION FOR THE KIDS

CHURCH/RELIGIOUS/NON-RELIGIOUS CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS Important to be part of the community

FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT

TAKE THAT VACATION

KEEP YOUR PETS

hunter63
03-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Here is my list, used your list and am doing an edit
1. HOME - Sell the current home you own, move to the cabin, as planned. "downsizing."

2. HEAT -@ The Place, Wood heat, elect back up, looking into solar. .

3. GROCERY SHOP AS NORMAL - As opposed to buying only the most very basic and absolutely least expensive staples. For now, have been supplementing with garden, fish and game.
May add livestock

4. ELECTRICITY - Keep the lights on and appliances running - or at least some of them, currently on grid, but planning a grid tied system, 1800watts @ $25K

5. BUY BEER - or Booze. Seriously. Yes, I know medicinal purposes, metal health.

6. KEEP YOUR PRIMARY CAR ON THE ROAD - Paying for Gas, Maintenance, Insurance, and Car Loan if any. ---Yes, switched to Diesel

6. MAINTAIN YOUR FAMILY'S HEALTH INSURANCE POLICY - Self pay now, will continue, as long as possible, new health care plane??????????/
7. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED DENTAL CARE - Same as health care.
8. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED MEDICAL CARE - Same as health care.

9. KEEP YOUR PETS - Feed them and provide necessary vet care

10. INTERNET - Looking into remote options
11. CABLE TV - Keep your Sat @place TV, options
12. CELL PHONE - Keep your cell phone service, hopefully tie to remote Internet access
Bundling this would be nice.

13. TAKE THAT VACATION - Visit kids, hunting trips, both extended/snow bird.

14. PAY/CONTRIBUTE TO COLLEGE TUITION FOR THE KIDS Want to help out GS

Alaskan Survivalist
03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
I have a secure job, if that fails I will not be working again I'll just draw unemployment for two years or what ever it is up to now, then draw my retirement. Make all my money under the table and do for myself. I have all I need or want. I just put things I can't afford into the the dream catagory with the 100 foot motor yaght I'll never own and don't sweat it. There is whole lot of fishing in my fantasy.

oldsoldier
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Except for #'s 16 & 19 which do not apply to me/us. We will keep everything pretty much the same. We are fairly lucky. Our monthly bills only add up to less that 1/3 of our combined income. We both have fairly secure jobs. She's a teacher and I am the "bread guy" i deliver bread to the stores. IMHO in even the worse ecomomy people will still but milk,bread,and coffee.

Sarge47
03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Here's mine:

1. HOME - Keep the current home you own or place you rent instead of "downsizing."[FOR NOW!]

2. HEAT - Keep the heat turned on

3. [B]INTERNET - Keep the internet service turned on.

4. ELECTRICITY - Keep the lights on and appliances running - or at least some of them.[we use the energy saver bulbs!]

5. CABLE TV - Keep your cable TV on.[SEE #14.]

6. CELL PHONE - Keep your cell phone service.[TRAC-PHONE]

7. LAND-LINE PHONE - Keep your land line phone in service.[FOR NOW]

8. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED DENTAL CARE - Self explanatory.[DONE VERY SELDOM, NEIGHBORS THINK WE'RE EITHER FROM ENGLAND OR ALABAMA.:innocent:]

9. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED MEDICAL CARE - Self explanatory.[WE DO A LOT OF THIS OURSELVES ALREADY]

10. GROCERY SHOP AS NORMAL - As opposed to buying only the most very basic and absolutely least expensive staples.[WIFE IS A WHIZ AT SAVING MONEY!]

11. KEEP YOUR PRIMARY CAR ON THE ROAD - Paying for Gas, Maintenance, Insurance.[NO CHOICE!]

12. KEEP YOUR SECOND (THIRD, ETC.) CAR ON THE ROAD - Paying for Gas, Maintenance, Insurance.

13. [B]KEEP YOUR PETS - Feed them and provide necessary vet care.[ONLY ONE SMALL DOG, & SHE EATS SQUIRRELS!:sneaky2:]

14. FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT - Self explanatory.[SEE "KEEPING THE CABLE ON.]

15. TAKE THAT VACATION - Self explanatory.[WE NEVER GO ANYWHERE!]

:cool2:

LowKey
03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Home = downsizing. Smaller house. More land.
Internet is a keeper.
So is the land line phone
Electricity, yes but cut down on appliance usage
Heat- set at 65 now, but I'm also fine at 55-60 but I don't own it, installing wood or solar coming (got a great lesson in beer can solar panels from a guy at work last month.They actually work pretty darn good.)
Grocery shopping - staples usually with the occasional treat, cheaper than going out.
Car is a keeper.
Pets are a keepers
I'm in MA, gotta keep the health insurance. But I don't get sick often.
Dental visits 2x per year. But do you pay for the bridge or leave it empty if needed?
Vacations would be scaled back and closer to home.

TV is gone. Don't watch it anyway. I cannot understand paying upwards of $100 a month to be advertised at. But I don't own it either.

finallyME
03-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Here is my list in priority of most important to least:

1 CHURCH/RELIGIOUS/NON-RELIGIOUS CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS - Self explanatory.
2 HOME - Keep the current home you own or place you rent instead of "downsizing."
3 ELECTRICITY - Keep the lights on and appliances running - or at least some of them.
4 HEAT - Keep the heat turned on (regardless of the thermostat setting).
5 KEEP YOUR PRIMARY CAR ON THE ROAD - Paying for Gas, Maintenance, Insurance, and Car Loan if any.
6 KEEP YOUR SECOND (THIRD, ETC.) CAR ON THE ROAD - Paying for Gas, Maintenance, Insurance, and Car Loan if any.
7 GROCERY SHOP AS NORMAL - As opposed to buying only the most very basic and absolutely least expensive staples.
8 MAINTAIN YOUR FAMILY'S HEALTH INSURANCE POLICY - Or pay as you go.
9 ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED MEDICAL CARE - Self explanatory.
10 ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED DENTAL CARE - Self explanatory.
11 INTERNET - Keep the internet service turned on.
12 CELL PHONE - Keep your cell phone service.
13 KEEP YOUR PETS - Feed them and provide necessary vet care.
14 FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT - Self explanatory.
15 PAY/CONTRIBUTE TO COLLEGE TUITION FOR THE KIDS - Self explanatory.

These are off the list because we have already taken them off.
BUY BEER - or Booze. Seriously.
TAKE THAT VACATION - Self explanatory.
CABLE TV - Keep your cable TV on (even if you go to a cheaper plan).
LAND-LINE PHONE - Keep your land line phone in service.
HAVE A CHILD IF YOUR BIOLOGICAL CLOCK IS RIGHT - Assume it's biologically your time and you wanted at least one one but have none.

DOGMAN
03-23-2010, 11:18 AM
1. HOME - Keep the current home you own or place you rent instead of "downsizing." We are in the process of downsizing, smaller cabin with less acreage
2. HEAT - Keep the heat turned on (regardless of the thermostat setting). the cabin we are trying to move to has wood heat as primary heat source
3. INTERNET - Keep the internet service turned on. yes
4. ELECTRICITY - Keep the lights on and appliances running - or at least some of them. this cabin we are looking at, is off the grid has solar panel and a diesal generator already

5. CABLE TV - Keep your cable TV on (even if you go to a cheaper plan). no cable
6. CELL PHONE - Keep your cell phone service. yes keep my wife and mine, if times got too tough we'd cut to just one
7. LAND-LINE PHONE - Keep your land line phone in service.
no land line at new place
8. TAKE THAT VACATION - Self explanatory.
we vacation at home
9. MAINTAIN YOUR FAMILY'S HEALTH INSURANCE POLICY - Or pay as you go. maintain. my wife is a teacher and we get good insurance fromt he district
10. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED DENTAL CARE - Self explanatory.

11. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED MEDICAL CARE - Self explanatory.

12. BUY BEER - or Booze. Seriously. Don't drink much
13. GROCERY SHOP AS NORMAL - As opposed to buying only the most very basic and absolutely least expensive staples. we keep it pretty simple and eat alot of wild game already
14. KEEP YOUR PRIMARY CAR ON THE ROAD - Paying for Gas, Maintenance, Insurance, and Car Loan if any.

16. PAY/CONTRIBUTE TO COLLEGE TUITION FOR THE KIDS - Self explanatory. yes, education is very imprtant in our eyes, and we are planning for our little dude's future all the time
17. KEEP YOUR PETS - Feed them and provide necessary vet care. yes, pets are a big part of our life
20. FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT - Self explanatory. internet, and play music. that wont change

Winnie
03-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Certain things are somewhat different over here, but I'll give it a go.

1. HOME - Keep the home I've got.

2. HEAT - Much as now, only heat one room

3. INTERNET - Keep the internet service turned on.

4. ELECTRICITY - Be more efficient. Use open fire more to cook = electric cooker less

5. CABLE TV - I don't have it now.

6. CELL PHONE - Nope

7. LAND-LINE PHONE - Nope

8. TAKE THAT VACATION - Nope

9. MAINTAIN YOUR FAMILY'S HEALTH INSURANCE POLICY - Or pay as you go. Healthcare free(NHS)

10. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED DENTAL CARE - Self explanatory. See#9

11. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED MEDICAL CARE - Self explanatory.See#9

12. BUY BEER - Nope

13. GROCERY SHOP AS NORMAL - Nope, I'd reduce to necessities

14. KEEP YOUR PRIMARY CAR ON THE ROAD - Don't have one now.

15. KEEP YOUR SECOND (THIRD, ETC.) CAR ON THE ROAD - See #14

16. PAY/CONTRIBUTE TO COLLEGE TUITION FOR THE KIDS - No school age children. Education free to 18 here anyway.

17. KEEP YOUR PETS - Feed them and provide necessary vet care. No brainer the girls pay for themselves

18. CHURCH/RELIGIOUS/NON-RELIGIOUS CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS - Self explanatory. Yup, there's always someone worse off than me.

19. HAVE A CHILD IF YOUR BIOLOGICAL CLOCK IS RIGHT - No way would I bring a child into the world if I couldn't afford it, even if I could(have children that is).

20. FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT - Movies and such? an uneccessary indulgence.

I pretty much live a basic existence anyway, but I could still pare down here and there. My one indulgence is good food. There are certain things I won't buy cheap!

finallyME
03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
19. HAVE A CHILD IF YOUR BIOLOGICAL CLOCK IS RIGHT - No way would I bring a child into the world if I couldn't afford it, even if I could(have children that is).

No one can afford to bring a child into this world no matter how rich and established you are. Also, you are never ready. :D

Winnie
03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
No one can afford to bring a child into this world no matter how rich and established you are. Also, you are never ready. :D

Winnie jnr was concieved and born when I was ready and could afford it. I did't have any more because I couldn't afford more than one. I can safely say I never had one handout when I was bringing him up:)

rwc1969
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
"please rank these in your order of priority:"

1. HOME - lost my home mainly due to medical problems and company downsizing, both on mine and my ex's side. We both rent now.

2. HEAT - can't say we've ever went without heat for too long anyway.

3. INTERNET - must not be hurtin too bad cuz I still got it.

4. ELECTRICITY - Got that.

5. CABLE TV - nope!

6. CELL PHONE - haven't had one in over 12 years now.

7. LAND-LINE PHONE -nope! but I do have access to borrow one.

8. TAKE THAT VACATION - last vaca I took was in '02 honeymoon. Total cost was about 300.00. Niagara falls, canada side. actually, that's the only vaca I ever took.

9. MAINTAIN YOUR FAMILY'S HEALTH INSURANCE POLICY - lost that a long time ago. Couldn't afford to use it when we had it. Have about 40,000 in medical bills right now.

10. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED DENTAL CARE - my tooth hurts real bad right now. I've had a bustin headache for 3 days. Learn to live with it I guess. I've never had dental care.

11. ROUTINE FAMILY NON-CRITICAL UNINSURED MEDICAL CARE - food and heat took priority over that a long time ago.

12. BUY BEER - don't drink or do drugs of any kind. I don't even drink caffeine anymore. Can't afford it if I did. I smoke cigarettes and those are pretty cheap if you roll your own.

13. GROCERY SHOP AS NORMAL - i consider the basics normal. Although once in a blue moon we'll get some drumsticks or tater chips, m and m's etc. I was never into buying fancy food even when I had money though.

14. KEEP YOUR PRIMARY CAR ON THE ROAD - Paying for Gas, Maintenance, Insurance, and Car Loan if any. Yep!

15. KEEP YOUR SECOND (THIRD, ETC.) CAR ON THE ROAD - no, it's just sitting there rotting away.

16. PAY/CONTRIBUTE TO COLLEGE TUITION FOR THE KIDS - Unfortunatley the wife's kids couldn't afford or get financial aid to go. We didn't have money to contribute.

17. KEEP YOUR PETS - Feed them yes, and provide necessary vet care, that depends on how much it cost. 100.00 yes, otherwise it's a .22 in the head unfortunately. I personally haven't had a pet in years, but the ex did.

18. CHURCH/RELIGIOUS/NON-RELIGIOUS CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS - nope! none given or recieved by me.

19. HAVE A CHILD IF YOUR BIOLOGICAL CLOCK IS RIGHT - I realized early on that if I was going to have a child I'd raise it proper. I didn't have a child of my own. Just can't afford it these days unless I wanna live off the govt.

20. FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT - Bushcraft, hiking, anything that don't cost $$ otherwise it's out. I'll afford myself a few things under 100.00, but only if they serve a useful purpose as well as entertain.

I think I have 5 or so out of the 20 so I guess I'm not doin too bad.