PDA

View Full Version : WHY all the Political threads?

pocomoonskyeyes
03-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Not trying to deter anyone from their right to believe and/or say whatever they choose. However of late I see MORE political related threads (May I remind everyone, this is against this forums rules), than Survival related threads.

This is just my opinion which isn't worth diddly squat, but if Politics are your "bag", why not go to a political Forum? Do you go to political Forums and discuss wild Edibles there? Building a shelter? Fire?

Just my 2¢

mountain mama
03-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Do you go to political Forums and discuss wild Edibles there? Building a shelter? Fire?

Why, yes, yes I do :D

pocomoonskyeyes
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Why, yes, yes I do :D

Is it against the forums rules there?

2dumb2kwit
03-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I think this health care bill will have a great impact on our economy and our future. Knowing what to prepare for may make a difference in how our future looks.

If nothing else, I like to discus some issues with those that I consider friends. Not to mention, that there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Talking about a knife is good, but talking about things that may lead to the need for that knife to be used, could be important, too. (Metaphorically speaking.)

ClayPick
03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Isn’t there just one way when it comes to religion and politics?

trax
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
A: Poco your opinion is worth just as much as anyone else's here

B: You're absolutely right IMHO about the political threads (rules is rules as any fool can see) but near as I can tell you're pi$$ing in the wind, they keep coming back.

pocomoonskyeyes
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Quite honestly, I'm half tempted to hit the report button on everyone of them. It is a CLEAR violation of Forum Rules. I'm not, but I am TEMPTED to do so.

2dumb2kwit
03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Quite honestly, I'm half tempted to hit the report button on everyone of them. It is a CLEAR violation of Forum Rules. I'm not, but I am TEMPTED to do so.

Well I guess we need to define political, then.

Until then, why not stop talking, and start reporting!

Rick
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
While I agree it teeters dangerously close to the line, I'm not certain it has been crossed. I also acknowledge that's mostly a matter of opinion. However, with regard to the health reform bill, it is without question a landmark piece of legislation regardless of which side you happen to be on. It's impact on everyone within the U.S. is going to be substantial and its reach could even be further than that.

That said, a lot of folks have either just started their preparations or are in the process and whether they will have the money to continue IS germane to the discussion. They may have additional resources as a result or they may no longer have those resources depending on their current situation.

Something with this large of an impact, I think, is worthy of discussion as long as we can do so without delving into the the party line separation or individual politicians. The subject matter itself and the presumed impact should be what is discussed.

BENESSE
03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Well I guess we need to define political, then.

This is mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j7wV5oBqBQ
(sorry about the youtube--it's just shrthand)

Justin Case
03-22-2010, 01:10 PM
While I agree it teeters dangerously close to the line, I'm not certain it has been crossed. I also acknowledge that's mostly a matter of opinion. However, with regard to the health reform bill, it is without question a landmark piece of legislation regardless of which side you happen to be on. It's impact on everyone within the U.S. is going to be substantial and its reach could even be further than that.

That said, a lot of folks have either just started their preparations or are in the process and whether they will have the money to continue IS germane to the discussion. They may have additional resources as a result or they may no longer have those resources depending on their current situation.

Something with this large of an impact, I think, is worthy of discussion as long as we can do so without delving into the the party line separation or individual politicians. The subject matter itself and the presumed impact should be what is discussed.

Agreed,, It is NEWS now, Not Political opinion,, But I am sure the subject will be a Moderation Nightmare :)

mountain mama
03-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Agreed,, It is NEWS now, Not Political opinion,, But I am sure the subject will be a Moderation Nightmare :)

especially with so many democrats on the forum J/K :D

Justin Case
03-22-2010, 01:26 PM

LOL,, I am not a Democrat,, or Republican ,, I am a free thinker. ;)

BENESSE
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Sorry to disappoint.
I haven't been a Democrat since college.:)

Alaskan Survivalist
03-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I am a "Doomer", that's my politics! If someone still needs convincing and thinks there will be a political solution is way behind the curve and probably too late for you. The more you learn the more disgusted you will become. Having been there I suggest just skipping that step and going straight to your own personal survival.

pocomoonskyeyes
03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
The titles of the threads themselves show political motivation. You don't even have to open the thread to see that.

Democratic-Controlled Congress Approved Health Care Bill

State Governments Raise Traffic Fees

United States District Court Bars Enforcement of Congressional Ban on ACORN Funding

Outrage: tax payers foot the bill for Casey Anthony's defense!
Granted this last one may seem like "Fishing". Under the law she is entitled to defense, if she can't afford it.>>>>> Who is going to hire her? I think she would be entitled. Oh but never mind because now we are delving in politics, even though it IS the law.

The thing that bothers me is this. IF it pertains to The MAIN FOCUS here of this Forum, yes it should be allowed. If it were something to do with FEMA,HS, or some OTHER RELATED agency.... Fine.

However @ 1 in 10 "General Discussion" threads SEEM to be politically motivated. Nothing more,nothing less.

Just look at this thread. While I intended it to be about the rule involving political discussion, it has Devolved into political discussion!!

BENESSE
03-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I am a "Doomer", that's my politics! If someone still needs convincing and thinks there will be a political solution is way behind the curve and probably too late for you. The more you learn the more disgusted you will become. Having been there I suggest just skipping that step and going straight to your own personal survival.

Be that as it may AS, I sure hate for you to feel that way. There is more to life and it's not to late to discover that for yourself.:)

Alaskan Survivalist
03-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Be that as it may AS, I sure hate for you to feel that way. There is more to life and it's not to late to discover that for yourself.:)

Don't feel bad for me. I've already had a full life and can die with a s*** eating grin on my face right now. I adhere to an old code of Bushido that basically is to always be prepared for battle and to live life with each breath. There is much more to life than Happiness. The purpose of life is to develop your soul and I am trying to learn the hardest of all things to learn, LOVE.

pocomoonskyeyes
03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I think I need a Hiatus. Don't know when I will be back,could be a day,week, who knows. Be back I will, This is not Farewell, just "see ya' later".

BENESSE
03-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Don't feel bad for me. I've already had a full life and can die with a s*** eating grin on my face right now. I adhere to an old code of Bushido that basically is to always be prepared for battle and to live life with each breath. There is much more to life than Happiness. The purpose of life is to develop your soul and I am trying to learn the hardest of all things to learn, LOVE.
Well, you've picked the best place to start.
If you've got Love, Happiness will follow whether you seek it or not. I wish you the best!

BENESSE
03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I think I need a Hiatus. Don't know when I will be back,could be a day,week, who knows. Be back I will, This is not Farewell, just "see ya' later".

Waiiiiiiiit!!!!
Did I tell you about this cute little knife I picked up at the knife emporium?:)

hunter63
03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I will simply not participate in discussions on politics or religion on a forum.
I do my discussion and opinions at the polls, or church.
Opinions are like arm pits every body has them, and are mostly important only to your self.
Back to the how to's..............

Alaskan Survivalist
03-22-2010, 02:17 PM
I will simply not participate in discussions on politics or religion on a forum.
I do my discussion and opinions at the polls, or church.
Opinions are like arm pits every body has them, and are mostly important only to your self.
Back to the how to's..............

Agree!!!!!! I needed ten characters to post.

2dumb2kwit
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?p=206753#post206753

finallyME
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I will agree with you half way Poco. This forum has a rule against politics, and I think you are right there. Where I disagree is whether it contributes to wilderness survival. As long as it is in "General Chat", then it doesn't matter how off topic it is. But, like you said, the fact that it is political should trump anything else.

pocomoonskyeyes
03-22-2010, 02:41 PM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?p=206753#post206753

I'll see your
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showpost.php?p=206753&postcount=69

with a
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8560
All I said 2D2K was I'm taking a vacation away from the site for a while. I haven't gone anywhere yet.

Edit: sorry about the double link.

pocomoonskyeyes
03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
General Chat
Talk about anything except politics & religion.
I think that is pretty clear. There is no "Razors edge",or fine line to cross. None is how I understand this. Yet Nowhere else is it even discussed in the Rules or Clarification of Rules.
From site and Forum feedback section
Rules and clarification of rules

1. No hate speech. No derogatory comments about someone or a group of people based on sex, race, age, religion, whatever.

2. No personal attacks. If you disagree with someone, refute their statement. Don't call them a village idiot.

3. Private messages are private. Posting them publicly is just being antagonistic.

4. Keep discussion PG-13. If it goes to R rated this website might not be accessible from work places, schools, libraries, and the like.

5. No posting commercial advertisements (aka spamming).

5.a. This includes blatant commercial messages to buy something like knockoff shoes.

5.b. This also includes posting solicitations to get people to visit a website you own, no matter how useful you think they'll find it. Members are allowed to advertise their own businesses or whatever in their signatures, no where else. A solicitation is still a solicitation regardless of what it is for.

Let me clarify the forum rules a little bit, for mods and members alike.

There are only a few rules.

1. Post in the most appropriate area for your topic, and keep discussions PG13.

2. Do not spam. Spam is a solicitation for members to do something for your benefit. Be that to buy something from you, join your group/society, visit your website, whatever. I don't care if you run a non-profit website benefiting albino eskimos. Pepper the forums with solicitations to join it and you'll be banned, and the links removed. If you have a website or business, your signature (edited in your User CP (see top left)) is the place for it, and we have absolutely no problem with you using your signature to promote your business. So long as that isn't your only contribution to the forum.

3. Do not personally attack members. Arguments can get pretty heated, and sometimes it is best to step back and cool down. You can attack the other's argument, their reasoning, their experience even (if relevant to the topic). But there is a line you cannot cross. The moderators and myself will judge where that line is, but in general, it should be pretty obvious. Things you wouldn't say to a coworker. This also means no hate speech (posting something about someone's race, gender, religion, etc).

4. Member discipline is not for public discussion. If you think someone needs discipline, there is a WARN button on every post that sends an email with a link to the post to myself and the moderators, you can also pm us. But in the end discipline is not a democratic action, regular members have no say in it. If someone is disciplined and you don't like it, that is ALSO not for public discussion. Your feedback on member discipline can be sent through PM or email, otherwise, consider it a private matter between the forum staff and the member in question.

5. Standard rules are 1 warning, then punishment. To the discretion of the moderators. Blatant or egregious behavior can skip the warning phase, and if you get a warning, then play nice for a year, then get another one, you won't be banned. We try to use common sense in doling out punishments.

Now, the forum staff is

Chris (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/member.php?u=1) - administrator
Sarge47 (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/member.php?u=296) - moderator
Rick (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/member.php?u=725) - moderator
Crashdive123 (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/member.php?u=939) - moderator

Now If I am wrong in my assumption from this material posted,please let me know,I'll let it go. But unless Chris decides to Clarify this further, I am assuming that this would Mean NO POLITICAL Or RELIGIOUS discussion whatsoever.
However it seems clear from the Single short sentence below General chat - " Talk about anything EXCEPT politics or Religion", that there should be none at all.

Again just my 2¢
@2D2K
Oh and just so you don't think I'm being a "Drama Queen" all I'm saying is I'm taking a vacation away from the Forum. When oldsoldier did this, did you call him a DQ? Or is it because I said something that seems to be unpopular?

doug1980
03-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm not really sure what the fuss is all about? The only one who can clarify this is Chris, it's not a Democracy in here (oops that was political) :) But seriously who cares, the only one who should care is Chris and the Moderators who enforce the rules. Actually to make a post about it, instead of sending Chris a PM is a bit childish and borders being a "Drama Queen" in and of itself. Not attacking anyone and by no means trying to disrespect you poco. But like was said before everyone has their own opinion about everything.

pocomoonskyeyes
03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
No Doug, no offense is taken. It's just that After all that has Transpired over the last few days, I come here hoping to get away from all that. Imagine my disappointment when I see it plastered all over here as well. 25% of what I saw when I logged in was politically oriented.
Yes I realize it is important to some. Some live and breathe political air day in and day out. Some can't help it. Some topics DO affect us and need to be discussed,without getting "Political". I do not believe even with all that is going on a full 25% of posts are that necessary,or of importance to this Forum. JMO

Call me a Drama Queen, it isn't that important. However as it pertains to all here it is a "Public" topic as it is pertinent to us all. Again JMO. Even had I PM'ed Chris this would eventually been posted (his decision I mean). However what some say may weigh in on his decision,maybe, maybe not. But at least you have the option of saying your piece before the decision is Final. Had I PM'ed him everyone would have wondered "What was all that about?" Sure some may be saying that now.

I am "popping in and out" today, while I get some things done, before I take a short "Sabbatical". Yes, I may be a little bit touchy or testy today as there are several things on my mind right now. I can promise you this, my vacation will not be long enough to refresh me, maybe just take the edge off is all. If I seem agitated with any individual, I apologize. I'm not. Just seem weighed down with all life's concerns and such as that.

You all are like family to me and I hope you see this as something of the sort as one brother likes Baseball, another basketball, another football, etc.... Then throw in the Sisters interests...LOL Anyway.... I'm rambling now. I still have some more stuff to get done.

canid
03-22-2010, 05:22 PM
maybe what we need is a conversational safe-zone.

we could call it 'the dinner table', and allow only conversation suitable for polite mealtime discussion.

meh, it could work.

Rick
03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Go outside, plop down and watch some grass grow. Amazing stuff, grass. We whack its little head off and it grows it right back. We've made some amazing stuff but not one machine that can do that.

Enjoy your vacation.

pocomoonskyeyes
03-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks Canid I needed some humor!! That and Panch0's post are the only humor I have seen today!!

trax
03-22-2010, 05:25 PM
maybe what we need is a conversational safe-zone.

we could call it 'the dinner table', and allow only conversation suitable for polite mealtime discussion.

meh, it could work.

I've heard of places where people actually have conversations at the dinner table, what the hell's up with that-- they never heard of tv?

canid
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
it's always mellow at my dinner table. it's covered with clutter and we haven't been able to sit down at it since christmas.

Rick
03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
(SNORT) Aaargh. Coffee through the nose. I hate that.

doug1980
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Poco, sometimes I feel the way you do right now. I have noticed that posts seem to get off topic more than I would like. It gets annoying when I want to learn something but over half the posts are crap that have nothing to do with the topic. Same with Political crap, it gets old. Actually until I moved to AK in 2008 I was oblivious to current events in this World. I didn't use the Internet much and never watched the news. I was in my own little World sheltered by "Podunk" Indiana. Now when I discuss this topic I get all worked up and I can literally feel my BP rise. Maybe I should take a break from it all too. :) So I totally get what you are saying.

Rick
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Doug, Doug, Doug. You are the only one in control of you. You can't let this stuff get to you, brother. It's easy to do but you have to take a half step back and a deep breath. You know the old saying. Control what you can, Influence what you can't control and don't worry about what you can't control or influence. You'll sleep much better at night.

doug1980
03-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Doug, Doug, Doug. You are the only one in control of you. You can't let this stuff get to you, brother. It's easy to do but you have to take a half step back and a deep breath. You know the old saying. Control what you can, Influence what you can't control and don't worry about what you can't control or influence. You'll sleep much better at night.

Great advice Rick. Now if I could just implement it. Am I too young for a nervous break down? :tongue_smilie:

Alaskan Survivalist
03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Am I too young for a nervous break down? :tongue_smilie:

No you're not! Embrace it, then move out to the Butte with the rest of us.

crashdive123
03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Poco - I understand what you are saying - however - I would submit that just as we discuss gun laws that affect us, discussing an issue such as health care is - in a way - a survival discussion for many. For those that see it helping them and making their lives easier, or those that take the other side of the issue. The discussions do tend to take on a political tone from time to time especially when statements like
Especially when some post conservative or liberal lies as fact and start threads that immediately call out a political party or movement.are made. I we can refrain from the - politician x suck or your political party sucks or......... Then I think that substantive discussions can take place. For those that cannot debate in a sensible way - then it may be best that those individuals steer clear of those particular debates.

Justin Case
03-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I think Its all about Respect, If we can all respect each other and acknowledge the fact that people are different , are in different circumstances, and were raised different,, there is no reason why we cant talk about anything, The trick is self control , :)

hunter63
03-22-2010, 06:18 PM
No you're not! Embrace it, then move out to the Butte with the rest of us.

LOL, I just did a Google map search on Butte, AK, with driving directions, nothing to it only:

Driving directions to Butte, AK
3,537 mi – about 2 days 17 hours

Whats up with the "About 2 days, 17 hours?? Moose breaks?
Last turn, direction 56 was: Turn left 200 ft.
Love it..............don't tempt me.............

Batch
03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Poco, you have to leave for us to miss you. LOL

That is of course a joke. You know you said you were leaving for a spell and then replied... Anyway.

Would a discussion on the response to Katrina be a political response? What if it was titled "Bush drops the ball!" or something more conservative like "Thousands of unprepared people scramble for hand outs at tax payers expense!"

The threads you mentioned screamed politics in the title. If you do not wish to be involved in that topic. Don't click it. I skipped over several threads myself today. None of which you mentioned.

Any government action is going to have a political slant to the discussion. But, we can not avoid discussion of healthcare as it relates to survival nor catastrophes, terrorist acts and how we think the response was handled.

These things will always have liberal and conservative opinions. It is the job of our excellent staff of moderators and administrators to determine when such discussion crosses the line and is detrimental to the board. IMHO

Hit the report button if you have to read threads you already know you won't like. Better yet just skip them.

2dumb2kwit
03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Poco, people can't obey the rules regarding negative rep either. How are you going to expect them to obey the rules regarding politics? I got negative rep for this thread. Of course the worthless POS couldn't give their neame because they are weak and hide behind anonymity.

Making comments like this, should get you tons of negative rep.

I'm not the one who gave you neg. rep., but I can sure understand why someone did. Being rude and dis-respectful, is not the way to win debates.

I am asking you, politely, to show a little more respect to your fellow forum members.

cowgirlup
03-23-2010, 12:43 PM
I can see both sides of this. All of these things have a direct effect on our survival in various ways.

But, this is also the forum I come to when I need a break from religion and politics. :)

Trabitha
03-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Politics has become a HUGE part of Americans and their every day life now days. IMO if it's civil, I don't know why it can't be discussed in some way. Ofc course I'm not a mod, so there ya go.

In regards to the reps...honestly I believe it's in the programming and I'm fairly certain that no one is going to go out of their way to reprogram an entire site because someone got his/her feelings hurt. I could have the worst rep here, and wouldn't know it because I really don't care. You all could hate me, but I'm still going to come around and bug the **** out of you...because I can! Mowahahahahaha!

Calm the hell down before I start tellin' bad jokes! I'll do it, damn it! Don't push me...:sneaky2:

rwc1969
03-23-2010, 09:47 PM
:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trax
03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
In regards to the reps...honestly I believe it's in the programming and I'm fairly certain that no one is going to go out of their way to reprogram an entire site because someone got his/her feelings hurt. I could have the worst rep here, and wouldn't know it because I really don't care. You all could hate me, but I'm still going to come around and bug the **** out of you...because I can! Mowahahahahaha!

Calm the hell down before I start tellin' bad jokes! I'll do it, damn it! Don't push me...:sneaky2:

...I like your attitude, hope the bad jokes work better for ya than they have for me so far

Trabitha
03-24-2010, 10:51 AM
What is red and smells like Black paint?

Ken
03-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Red paint.

BENESSE
03-24-2010, 01:12 PM

2D's chilli?

pocomoonskyeyes
03-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Waiiiiiiiit!!!!
Did I tell you about this cute little knife I picked up at the knife emporium?:)
OK I'm listening................

This is mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j7wV5oBqBQ
(sorry about the youtube--it's just shrthand)

Here's mine.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBohsCG8emk
And also by CDB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4y5si8DGs&feature=related