PDA

View Full Version : Have I dehydrated Correctly?

Winnie
03-21-2010, 09:15 AM
After the success with the mushrooms I've moved on to meat and veg. I deyhrated some Turkey as per Ricks instructions, and the finished product is 25% of the original weight. Is this about right?
I also dehydrated some Celery. A whole head of Celery could now fit in an espresso cup. Have I overdone it? I just need a bit of reassurance that what I've done is OK. Thankyou.

Ken
03-21-2010, 09:18 AM
After the success with the mushrooms I've moved on to meat and veg. I deyhrated some Turkey as per Ricks instructions, and the finished product is 25% of the original weight. Is this about right?
I also dehydrated some Celery. A whole head of Celery could now fit in an espresso cup. Have I overdone it? I just need a bit of reassurance that what I've done is OK. Thankyou.

Can't tell until Q.C. tests the samples. When can Crash and I expect to receive them? :innocent:

Winnie
03-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Maybe next time on the Turkey:) I have plans for that next weekend. I'm going to try out a few recipes to see how I can use it once reconstituted.
If you send me QC dept address I'll happily post some of the Celery!:innocent:

2dumb2kwit
03-21-2010, 11:11 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, I was afraid that you were getting wrinkled! LOL:blushing:

Winnie
03-21-2010, 11:34 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, I was afraid that you were getting wrinkled! LOL:blushing:

Don't tell anyone, but I am:blushing:

Julie362
03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
You're secret's safe with us! (I think... Dunno about maybe Ted or Rick...)

Winnie
03-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh I think that particular cat's been out of the bag for some time, Jules!

hunter63
03-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, it's all about hydration, hydration, hydration, yes, tar-bender, I believe I have another, got some more wrinkles to undo.

I guess the rule I use is, that if it's black, too much,.......moldy, not enough, and dried too slow, most anything else is good.

Only trial and error will tell you the true story, kinda hard to describe, but for sure, Black, Not Good! (also make it hard to scrape off the grates)

Rick
03-21-2010, 02:28 PM
You're doing fine, Winnie. Isn't it amazing how much water is in celery? The first full head I dehydrated I was truly shocked how little was left. Like you, it fit in the smallest container I had. But it made some great soups and stews over the winter. Keep the container closed and it will last darned near forever.

Winnie
03-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Well thank goodness for that! I've vacuum sealed it and then put it in a canning jar. Oh I had escapees this time:blushing:

Rick
03-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I warned you. Celery can be like that, too. It gets so light once it dehydrates the fan will blow it all over the place.

Winnie
03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
By the by Rick, I remembered what you said about meat falling through the trays and came up with a solution. I cut some muslin to fit the trays and spread the meat out on that. It worked a treat. The warm air could still circulate and it made retrieving it easier too.

Rick
03-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Good job!! You can use waxed paper to dry liquids like spaghetti sauce or something like apple sauce. Some dehydrators come with plastic trays that have the edges turned up so liquids won't run off. If yours didn't come with the trays then you can use waxed paper and turn the edges up. It will do the same thing. Just be certain to lightly oil the paper so the dehydrated liquids won't stick. You'll wind up with a very leathery or brittle material (depending on what you start with and how long you dry it).

Winnie
03-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Goodoh! Mine has the gubbins in the lid so I was going to line the base for liquids.