PDA

View Full Version : Can We Agree On Some Definitions?

Ken
03-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Whenever we get into a discussion about survival if the SHTF, the term "wild edibles" invariably comes up. Based upon the context in which it's used in the various posts, and depending upon the member posting, I have interpreted "wild edibles" to mean different things to different members. So, can we agree on some definitions here? :) How about...........

Wild Edibles: Any item that may be consumed as food that has not been cultivated, raised, or produced by humans.

Wild Plants: Non-cultivated consumable food items derived from trees, plants, fungi (mushrooms and morels) or vegetable matter of any type.

Wild Medicinals: Any component part and/or substance derived from trees, plants, fungi (mushrooms and morels) or vegetable matter of any type, consumed or used primarily for medicinal purposes rather than food value.

Wild Game: Non-domestic animals, including mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians, harvested by hunting, trapping, or other means.

Fish: Fin fish, shellfish, and crustaceans harvested from either fresh water or salt water sources.

Marine Mammals: Mammals that primarily habitate the ocean.

Last Resort Foods: Insects,worms,mollusks (snails, slugs) etc.

your_comforting_company
03-20-2010, 02:09 PM
I agree. Sticky material!!

hunter63
03-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I like it, good definitions.
Sticky material as well.

Pal334
03-20-2010, 02:31 PM
OK,, "STICK IT"!!!

The post of course:innocent:

Justin Case
03-20-2010, 02:38 PM
http://www.deals-stores.com/images/cache/3f8450bd10219e9b817c055c10ecd569.jpg

Julie362
03-20-2010, 02:41 PM
But mollusks are delicious! Ever had calamari? Mmmm...

Rick
03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
What's the difference between wild edibles and wild plants? I think the definitions are the same just worded differently. (?)

Ken
03-20-2010, 04:15 PM
What's the difference between wild edibles and wild plants? I think the definitions are the same just worded differently. (?)

If you can eat it, it's a wild edible - that includes game and basically everything in that list, except for medicinals.

Alaskan Survivalist
03-20-2010, 04:26 PM
If there is one thing I learned in my 8 years of public education is I can forget things faster than anybody can teach it. I'm also convinced I am not the only idiot here so good luck with that. I'm still working on "what survival means".

Ted
03-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Sounds like a good idea Ken. If I can remember the definitions...LOL

IMO... Your last resort group, well bud, you should never turn your nose up at such things in a real survival situation! So if your serious about suvival, you should give em' a try now! There not at all bad cooked! Well roasted or fried anyway.
Boiled insects and worm are pretty gross!

Oh and I have a bad habit of calling anything not humanly cutivated a weed. When I say I ate weeds for years, I'm including things like wild grape, cattails ,whatever.

Rick
03-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Oooooh. Okay. That didn't come across to me. I wasn't thinking animal. Could be mineral, too (salt for example).

Maybe...Any item (animal, vegetable or mineral) that may be consumed as food...

I'm not trying to be picky but I didn't understand it was beyond plant. I'm kinda like AS, I guess. Idyut works for me, 2.

Ken
03-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a good idea Ken. If I can remember the definitions...LOL

IMO... Your last resort group, well bud, you should never turn your nose up at such things in a real survival situation! So if your serious about suvival, you should give em' a try now! There not at all bad cooked! Well roasted or fried anyway.
Boiled insects and worm are pretty gross!

Oh and I have a bad habit of calling anything not humanly cutivated a weed. When I say I ate weeds for years, I'm including things like wild grape, cattails ,whatever.

Ted, I can make a mighty fine matzo-like cracker with cattails. I've eaten my share of snails and slugs as well. When I first posted here, I mentioned eating slugs. I think that Rick threw up when he read it.

Alaskan Survivalist
03-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Idyut works for me, 2.

Finally! Somebody that knows how to speak American.

Ken
03-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Oooooh. Okay. That didn't come across to me. I wasn't thinking animal. Could be mineral, too (salt for example).

Maybe...Any item (animal, vegetable or mineral) that may be consumed as food...

I'm not trying to be picky but I didn't understand it was beyond plant. I'm kinda like AS, I guess. Idyut works for me, 2.

Okay, let me tweak up those definitions a bit:

Wild Edibles: Any item (animal, plant, or mineral) that may be consumed as food or as a dietary supplement that has not been cultivated, raised, bred, or produced by humans.

Wild Plants: Non-cultivated consumable food items derived from trees, plants, fungi (mushrooms and morels) or vegetable matter of any type.

Wild Game: Non-domestic animals, including mammals, marine mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians, harvested by hunting, trapping, or other means.

Fish: Fin fish, shellfish, mollusks, and crustaceans harvested from either fresh water or salt water sources.

Last Resort Foods: Insects, worms, land mollusks (snails, slugs) etc.

Wild Medicinals: Any component part and/or substance derived from trees, plants, fungi (mushrooms and morels) or vegetable matter of any type, consumed or used primarily for medicinal purposes rather than food value.

Rick
03-20-2010, 04:46 PM
I just threw up again. Stop it!

Rick
03-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah, yeah. I'm okay with that. My brain was thinking plants and I suspect some others would, too. Or not.

Justin Case
03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Then You've got your Incredible Edible Eggs ;)

crashdive123
03-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Too many rules.

To me - wild edibles is plants, shrooms is shrooms, critters is critters.