PDA

View Full Version : Lighter on the Food or Lighter on the Water?

Ken
03-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Long, long ago, in the days before CamelBaks and hydration systems, I'd carry two one-quart canteens of water when I was backpacking. Finding clear water was never a real problem, and when I finished one canteen I'd refill it, treat it with Potable Aqua water purification tablets, and drink from the other 'till it was empty, and so on. I also did my share of boiling water and using coffee filters if I didn't have enough treated properly when I needed it, until I got my first manual filter, and I still used that to refill my canteens.

Back then, I carried a few dried food items, mostly powdered eggs and soups and such, and at least a half dozen cans of food such as tuna, ravioli, bacon, and beans. And I always had Slim Jims. :)

I got my first Camelbak over 15 years ago, right around the time I converted exclusively to carrying only freeze-dried and MRE foods, as well as the trail mix and ready to eat stuff. And Slim Jims - never forgot the Slim-Jims. Always packed double the food that I ever ate, just in case. Yeah, I ate at least a few wild edibles most times, (berries, cat tails, fish, etc.) but I chose not to rely on them unless I was "surviving" :innocent: in an area I knew quite well. (There's your openning, Sarge.)

So now, instead of carrying 4 - 6 extra pounds of canned food, I'm carrying an extra 4 - 6 pounds of water in my CamelBak, as well as a 24oz water filter instead of the purification tablets that weighed almost nothing.

Of course, my tent and sleeping bag weighed a lot more back then, but my pack still felt a lot lighter 30 years ago. :innocent:

And now I'm wondering.........

Have the "newer" products really improved things?

Does anyone ever have problems finding water?

Does anyone still carry canned foods in their pack?

preachtheWORD
03-19-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm still in the phase of getting equipment built up. Got my first backpack with a Hydro Bladder built in last year. I did not realize how much weight it would, and the awkward placement of the weight. Before that I carried a 2 quart canteen. I like it, but I didn't like how it "sloshed" and rubbed on me. I would like to find a good 2 quart/liter bota bag. I think that would ride a little better and be less sloshy.

I am not so sure that "new technology" is so much better. I hate the bite valve on my hydro bladder. When I want a drink of water, I want a drink, not a dribble.

Spring water is plentiful in the mountains where I live. In the more remote areas it is safe to drink right out of the ground - or so I think. I am actually suprised I have never gotten sick from bad water, considering how I used to drink from streams in the middle of cow pastures.

I do carry canned food with me - mostly canned meats (vienna sausages, spam, etc.) or condensed soup. If I had the $$$ and the ready access, I would probably carry MRE's or some other dehydrated product. When hiking I do not generally eat many wild plants. I look for them, but I leave them for another day when I might actually need them.

As to the title question "lighter on food or lighter on water?" my answer would depend a lot on where I will be traveling. If it is gonna be hot or water is scarce, I would definitely pack more water. If it is colder or water can be easily obtained, I would pack more food. But, in general I lean further to the "more water" side. I would rather be really hungry than really thirsty.

Rick
03-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Yes.
No.
No.

crashdive123
03-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Yes.
Yes.
No.

Rick
03-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Psssst. Crash. It's call the Atlantic Ocean. That's a lot of water. Just start walking east.

Ken
03-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Yes.
No.
No.

Yes.
Yes.
No.

I guess Chris doesn't pay you guys by the word, huh? Ever think about going into Law?

Rick
03-19-2010, 03:23 PM
No.
No.....

Ken
03-19-2010, 03:24 PM
See everybody? You give the man an opening as wide as a garage door, and he takes it in just one minute.

crashdive123
03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Psssst. Crash. It's call the Atlantic Ocean. That's a lot of water. Just start walking east.

I ain't drinking out of that. Tourists pee in it. Who do I look like? Bear Grylls?

roar-k
03-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I am bad about carrying more water than I need when backpacking or hiking. For instance when I hiked to Mt. Cammerer tower I carried my 2L bladder and two 32oz. ss bottles. I carried extra for ramen and hot cocoa. When I go backpacking I carry the same amount. It may be overkill but for ME it works.

But of course I carry an extra meal or two of food as well. I do not mind the extra weight if it means I will have food and water when and/or if I need it.

PTW, I also have a tendency to drink from the streams. When I did a 3 day trip up around Deep Creek in the SMNP before winter I filled my bottles right from the creek and drank. And I too have never been sick for doing so.

That's just how I was raised. While I was growing up I would spend my summers at my grandparent's and before they started strip mining around that area the water was the cleanest and clearest you could find. People would come up there just to fill up their jugs for drinking water. My grandparents would look at the water and tell me how it's flowing freely, not murky, and doesn't smell so I could go ahead and drink.

Yes, it's a bad habit and I should remedy it, but the water is so darn refreshing. So please do not :smash: me.

preachtheWORD
03-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Who do I look like? Bear Grylls?

That made me laugh! :laugh:

oly
03-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Yes and no. Less weight and maybe less quality.

Depend on the area I'm in but I would have to say yes due to we are the second driest state.

not since the C rats

Pal334
03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I tend towards more water. I have always been slightly "sensitive" towards different water when I travel. I adapt to it quickly, but try to avoid "strange " water for short duration trips.

My equipment has evolved over time and has been generally oriented towards what the military issued, so my experience with the "high speed low drag , Ginzo operated" stuff is limited

Rick
03-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Just about every city has one area when the "strange" water congregates...if you know what I mean.

Pal334
03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Just about every city has one area when the "strange" water congregates...if you know what I mean.

Oh No, nope, I am not going there!!!!

Rick
03-19-2010, 04:55 PM
What? Water flows downhill so you can generally find it on the downhill side of the city. What'd you think I meant?

hunter63
03-19-2010, 05:02 PM

There are some spots in the country, as well, usually at a cross roads, just watch out for dirty ice cubes.......anyway.

I am in the carry more water than food, I guess, and mostly have had limited time trips, any more.

Used to carry two 1qt canteens, w/cups, and stove inserts, per pack.
I have split these up to different packs, that are deployed different places.

Now I just carry one canteen (just used to it) w/tablets in the little pocket, plus disposable water bottles and have added a filter straw, from Rick's store.
Gonna get some more filters, I think for the other packs.

Food-dried and freeze dried stuff, and snacks crackers w/peanut butter and cheese, candy, coffee, tea. Maybe a can of Kippers or sardines.

Hunting fanny pack, plus belt bag, has bottle holder(s) and I also carry a small thermos.

Rick
03-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Honestly, I don't carry a lot of either. A one quart canteen is all I carry. Finding water around here is pretty easy even in August. My water filter keeps me supplied with all I need and I have backup pills. Of course, I can always boil if the filter and pills run out.

Alaskan Survivalist
03-19-2010, 05:11 PM
The easiest way to carry water is in you.

trax
03-19-2010, 05:13 PM

and eventually you leave an easier to follow trail if someone has to come find you...

Ken
03-19-2010, 05:14 PM

Beer is over 95% water. Just sayin'. :innocent:

Alaskan Survivalist
03-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Beer is over 95% water. Just sayin'. :innocent:

That's why I drink whiskey.

crashdive123
03-19-2010, 05:20 PM

But eventually we all spring a leak.:innocent: Oh wait - Trax already said that.:blushing:

2dumb2kwit
03-19-2010, 05:22 PM

Yeah....what A.S. said!:tongue_smilie:

Alaskan Survivalist
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM
and eventually you leave an easier to follow trail if someone has to come find you...

My approach to the wilderness is different to most in that I become part of it marking my territory. I even check back to see if anything is disputing my claim.

Ken
03-19-2010, 05:50 PM
My approach to the wilderness is different to most in that I become part of it marking my territory. I even check back to see if anything is disputing my claim.

It seems that we take the same approach. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZcS4OWLwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

erunkiswldrnssurvival
03-19-2010, 06:21 PM
i used to carry a can of corned beef hash. still do sometimes. as i got older i leaned more heavily on wilderness fare. i like the chicken and rice mre meal package. i always try to carry one. overnites i dont worry obout it.

Pal334
03-19-2010, 07:28 PM
What? Water flows downhill so you can generally find it on the downhill side of the city. What'd you think I meant?

Aaah, my mistake, I thought you were trying to get me on "the wrong side of the tracks". :sneaky2:

Batch
03-20-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't like Camel backs. It seems to make my back sweat more in warmer weather. I don't like the slosh you feel when the water moves and the water in the hose gets super heated.

I am back to carrying two canteens, a filter straw, and tablets. I do drink a good amount of water before I head out. Doesn't make any sense to start out dehydrated.

Water in my area is never a problem to find. But, it should always be filtered and treated. I have drank directly from the water in the glades. I didn't get sick. But, anyone can see its a game of chance.

Food depends on the hike. Always a bag of beef jerky, cereal bars and various snacks. Most of the time we only cook dinner. If backpacking it will be something light, usually dehydrated. The only exception to that is when we are just camping with the kids. Then we do cook breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and cook dinner.