PDA

View Full Version : Acai berry

sthrnstrong
03-18-2010, 06:49 AM
I just heard about this berry and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Ken
03-18-2010, 07:02 AM
I've tried a few different products. Some taste pretty good, others taste like crap. Some make a pretty good mixer with vodka. :innocent:

I've read reports, pro and con, about the proclaimed health benefits.

I'm not sure, but I suspect most claims are simply hype to promote an expensive product with no more benefit than blueberries or pomegranites.

sthrnstrong
03-18-2010, 07:15 AM
I read a report that called it the "superfood". The more I read the more I doubted. Looks like it could just be a scam IMO. Wanted to find out more from experienced folks. Besides everyone knows the superfood is garlic anyways.

sthrnstrong
03-18-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm sorry I meant to say the super food is Twinkies.

Pict
03-18-2010, 07:18 AM
I drink Acai all the time down here, it is very popular in Brazil. Health benefits? I don't know, I just like it. Mac

Ken
03-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Besides everyone knows the superfood is garlic anyways.

I have yet to use garlic in cereal or peanut butter sandwiches. With everything else, the bets are off. I use garlic - fresh, jumbo elephant, chopped and jarred, powdered, flaked, or garlic oil spray, in most things I cook. Tons of it.

I also use lots of toothpaste, mouthwash, and breath mints. :innocent:

Batch
03-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I see lots of things called super foods.

When three commercially available juice mixes containing unspecified percentages of açaí juice were compared for in vitro antioxidant capacity against red wine, tea, six types of pure fruit juice, and pomegranate juice, the average antioxidant capacity was ranked lower than that of pomegranate juice, Concord grape juice, blueberry juice, and red wine. The average was roughly equivalent to that of black cherry or cranberry juice, and was higher than that of orange juice, apple juice, and tea.

I believe açaí can thank its popularity to a multilevel marketing scheme called Mona Vie.

People like the juice. But, usually stop because of cost. Why pay that much when you can get the same benefits from more readily available food sources?

Rick
03-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Good article in Reader's Digest this month about how vitamins are bad for you. Seriously. April, 2010. Page 86.

"Last year, researchers published new findings from the Women's Health Initiative, a long-term study of more than 160,000 midlife women. The data showed that multivitamin takers are no healthier than those who don't pop the pills, at least when it comes the big diseases - cancer, heart disease, stroke."

"Vitamin C [doesn't] ward off colds, except among marathoners, skiers and soldiers on subarctic exercises."

"there's the real possibility that in some circumstances, antioxidant pills could actually promote cancer (in women as well as men)."

"Vitamins are safe when you get them in food, but in pill form they can act more like a drug."

The one vitamin that does appear to do you good is Vitamin D. Reader's Digest's final take? Eat right, and supplement with vitamin D.