PDA

View Full Version : Write your own Survival book!

Sarge47
11-30-2007, 01:30 PM
OK, here's an idea, and I would love to hear other Wolves ideas on this topic. When I 1st came into this forum I had an idea of sorts of writing a "survival book" based on this forum:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240

Remember this? Anyway, I've got a new idea now and it's a bit more "personal.. There is so much info on this site, not to mention the Army Survival manual on the home page, that anybody could write their own survival book/journal of sorts. Using either a "loose-leaf" binder, or a 5-subject notebook start by adhering alphabetical tabs onto your pages. Then, going back through all the stuff that's been written, start logging it into your own "reference manual". I figure that it would be in three categories: Technical data on how to find, make, or use assorted items, a field section on proper application, and an actual "hands-on" journal of what you've actually done with the knowledge. re. outings, overnights, etc. I'll also be bringing back the thread on the items that have more than one use to add to it. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Under "B" you might have:

"BLADED ITEMS."

A. Fixed-blade knives:
1.) Manufacturers:
a.)Gerber (http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php?flash=0)

And so on: You can list under this heading what you might want to look for, knives under $20...over $20; steel quality; pros & cons, etc. Also add headings for Axes, Hatchets, Folders, multi tools, etc.. Some pages off of web-sites like the one on the "Para-Cord Bracelet" could be printed out and added to a section specifically created for it. Tell me what you think!:cool:

Rick
11-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I think both are good ideas, Sarge. Someone needs to manage it to keep it alive and work through it. Otherwise it might die on the vine. Not certain why they couldn't be one and the same. A reference manual that can be downloaded is doable. You'll need to get Chris's take on bandwidth if it's done online. Otherwise we just need an Alpha (Fe)Male to get the pack started. Perhaps one of the blogs would be the place for it.

"Wilderness Knowledge of the Wolf Pack". Act I, scene I. lights, camera, quiet on the set....James Earl Jones speaking: "Since the earliest dawn of man..."

Chris
11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Bandwidth on documents is not a big issue.

Sounds like what you guys are referring to most closely resembles a wiki (like wikipedia.com, an online document collection anyone can edit).

If you guys wanted that format I could look into installing wiki software on this site.

MCBushbaby
11-30-2007, 03:25 PM
If you guys wanted that format I could look into installing wiki software on this site.

Definitely! Though make sure only registered users could modify it and there's always a backup in case we get a malicious Otay coming back (if those features aren't already default in a wiki).

Rick
11-30-2007, 06:15 PM
As luck would have it, I ran across this today purely by chance. It's a Project Gutenberg book; "On the Trail, An Outdoor Book for Girls". Published in 1915, it has a TON of information on just about every subject. It is free to reproduce or copy. Perhaps this or something like it could be a start and we can add to it.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18525/18525-h/18525-h.htm

zaebra
11-30-2007, 06:54 PM
there used to be a site called bushcraftwiki.com, but it has since gone defunct. i'd love to contribute to a survival/bushcraft wiki!

Sarge47
11-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Sounds like someone with a lisp trying to say my 1st name! (Wiki...Ricky...get it..oh well...:D) Actually I think an "on---line" book is great, but I wouldn't discount people writing there own. They can use the info that fits them and ignore the rest, as well as have their very own "field manual". For example, I'm really not into the idea of Flint-napping, Doesn't flint get enough rest just lying around? :D (Alright, bad joke I know, but you get my drift.) Any way, no matter what we want to do we're gonna need an outline for the book. Any volunteers for that? :confused:

mbarnatl
11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Are you trying to do an online book like this (http://www.aircav.com/survival/asurtoc.html) ? Or a wiki format ?

Nativedude
11-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I've been writing a survival and primitive living book for the last 2 years. Taking the photos and writing the text myself.

It should be done around August of '08. I am going to self-publish it and make it available on Amazon.com.

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Are you trying to do an online book like this (http://www.aircav.com/survival/asurtoc.html) ? Or a wiki format ?

I'm not sure what a wiki format is.:o

mbarnatl
12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

Sarge47
12-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Well, not the Wiki, although if someone wants to cololate, organize, and store all the pertinate survival data here and post it onto a blog site, I don't mind. my idea was more along the idea of individuals writing there own "field manuals" base on the info presented here. This would also double as a rescource for them as a reference to items to add too survival kits.:cool:

woodwose
12-01-2007, 10:18 PM
As luck would have it, I ran across this today purely by chance. It's a Project Gutenberg book; "On the Trail, An Outdoor Book for Girls". Published in 1915, it has a TON of information on just about every subject. It is free to reproduce or copy. Perhaps this or something like it could be a start and we can add to it.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18525/18525-h/18525-h.htm

Hmm, watch out.. as it says it isn't copyrighted in the U.S.. Also, it has a warning to check the copyright laws outside the U.S. That tells me that maybe it is copyrighted outside the U.S. The link to this other website might be running a risk by having it to download, although you would think that the owner of that website would have checked copyright out as the statement says that it isn't published in the U.S. It doesn't say where it was published that I can find. That would be useful info to have and could start there on a copyright search. There is nothing like being sued by some entity outside the U.S. Remember, anything online is a world publication. Otherwise, this sounds like an excellent idea.

I am going to be starting a website soon and writing on the subject of survival myself. I need to be concerned with copyright laws by doing that, so this has peaked my interest.

Excellent online book btw. Although humorous due to the early 20th century grammer.

Chris
12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
The US has some of the strictest copyright laws on the planet, in 99.999% of cases if something isn't copyrighted in the US, it isn't copyrighted anywhere. Places like Canada & Australia for instance expire copyrights as soon as 50 years earlier than in the US.

Rick
12-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Woodwose - I copyrighted some material in March of this year. Here is a link to the Copyright Office. It contains all the information you need including costs. Turn around is pretty good. About two months lead time. (but they cash the check a lot quicker :O)

http://www.copyright.gov/

MCBushbaby
12-05-2007, 01:11 PM
US copyright law is applied to ALL written material, regardless of expressed copyright, unless released by the author, so it's an entirely opt-out policy. In fact this post is now copywritten. Anyone using it without my expressed written consent will be fined a billion dollars worth of chicken mcnuggets! Muahahaha!

Joe Shmoe wrote this
(c) 2007

is the same as

Joe Shmoe wrote this

In the US. Strange.

Rick
12-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Mitch,

As it turned out, that is exactly what I wrote in March and had copyrighted. You can forward the McNuggets in installments of 100 million at a time if you like.:D

Nativedude
12-06-2007, 02:08 AM
When writing, whether it be for a book, editorial, manuscript, play, movie script, or shooting filming for a video, or movie, or taking photographs, copyright is implied. To make the aforementioned material "legally yours", this is what you need to do:

1.) Before publishing that written material, film footage, or photographs, and to ensure your rights as the owner of said material, a "Master Copy" of the final edited product must be made, placed in a sealed envelope, addressed and return addressed, and mailed to "yourself". You must do this before sending the project out to anyone else.*

2.) Once you receive the sealed package, leave it sealed. The post-mark on the envelope serves as proof that the material inside belongs to you. This will be your main piece of evidence, if needed, in court, to prove "right of ownership!"

*If you send out your material before sending it to yourself, the end user can/could re-write, re-edit, or plagiarize your material for their own benefit. And you would have no legal recourse, because you didn't send it to yourself first.

I learned this years ago, in one of my outdoor writing classes.

corndog-44
12-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I've been writing a survival and primitive living book for the last 2 years. Taking the photos and writing the text myself.

It should be done around August of '08. I am going to self-publish it and make it available on Amazon.com.

Some questions for ya, Nativedude. You care to share the table of contents with us? How many $$$s are you planning to sell the book for? And (don't take this wrong), why do you think your book will be better than any of the other books on the market?

Smok
12-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I would love to contribute to the book if I can . But who will edit it , all can contribute but fue will be chosen or the book will just go ever where and no where . Sarge47 you seam to have a good idea of what you want the book to be . Maybe you should edit it ??

Nativedude
12-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Some questions for ya, Nativedude. You care to share the table of contents with us? How many $$$s are you planning to sell the book for? And (don't take this wrong), why do you think your book will be better than any of the other books on the market?

Hey Corndog, The basis of the book is on primitive and O.T.G. living, and "bare minimum" survival. As far as listing the table of contents, I cannot do that until I have completed the book and I get the master copyrighted.

It will sell for around $16.95. As far as being better. . .well that will be up to the critics and readers. Of course, I personally, think it is good or I wouldn't have bothered writing it.

I have spent the last 2 years writing from my personal experiences, what I have learned (yes I have written about mistakes I have made in the woods & and what I have learned from them), and my life's knowledge of the woods. And about living, teaching, mentoring, guiding, and absorbing all that I have learned from my travels around the country and world over the past 28 years.

Once I have it copyrighted, I will make bits and pieces available to the "Wolf-Pack" for them to read and critique. That will be sometime around mid-summer of '08. I will make copies of the book available to "Wolf-Pack" members (members as of 12/06/07) at a discounted price (Y.T.B.D.) if they so choose to buy the book. :)

Smok
12-07-2007, 01:16 AM
would like to read when you have it ready

corndog-44
12-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Hey Nativedude...you take money orders? Will that be $16.95 + shipping or will it be prepaid? Anyway save me a copy. By the way, what kind of binding will it have? Thanks for the info.

Nativedude
12-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Hey Nativedude...you take money orders? Will that be $16.95 + shipping or will it be prepaid? Anyway save me a copy. By the way, what kind of binding will it have? Thanks for the info.

Yes Corndog I do take M.O.'s. and cashiers checks (no personal checks). I will send out the books as I do my videos, C.O.D.

I will have the book available for the forums "Wolf Pack" at a "yet to be determined" (Y.T.B.D.) discounted price. The "Wolf Pack" Price will include S&H. The book will have a glossy paperback cover (as most of the books in this arena are) and about 220pgs. (rough estimate as of this posting). :)

corndog-44
12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Sounds good, Nativedude.

Nativedude
12-10-2007, 12:59 AM
would like to read when you have it ready

Hey Smok,

Once I have it copyrighted, I will make bits and pieces available to the "Wolf-Pack" for them to read and critique. That will be sometime around mid-summer of '08. I will make copies of the book available to "Wolf-Pack" members (members as of 12/06/07) at a discounted price (Y.T.B.D.) if they so choose to buy the book. ;)

Beo
12-10-2007, 10:06 AM
If your usling a publisher in the United States the book is going to have to be at least 80,000 words to be considered anything less is considered a short story unless its a childrens book(which would be a good idea and a money maker for ages 10-17). Self-publishing is a good way to start for a new author that is how I did my first book (fiction- a vampyre novel called Cross-Vampyre Hunter) and the publisher I used was first rate. However self-publishing costs money. My first book was published by AuthorHouse and if you tell them I told you about them they'll cut you a pretty good deal. Their webiste is www.authorhouse.com. In the U.S. once you write it down its considered copyrighted, but you can do it yourself cheaply or your publisher should do it and enter it into the library of congress so you get an LC number and an ISBN. PR is the big problem with self-publishing, usually you have to do that on your own. In your area it should sell very well, and a book signing is a great way to get things going. Also at a book signing bring a few sample items form your book that the readers can identify with as a visual helps them and readers seem to love that stuff. Also a bookmark (homemade) by you is a great way to get them interested, it can be as simple as the cover title on one side and the back with your pic and bio, or a hand made leather or natural type. I know this helped me out greatly when I did mine.
Since I have three books published if there is anything I can do to help you out let me know.
Beo,
P.S. A few little notes. Never give up your copyright to a publisher, they may want to offer you a fat check for the rights but then they can do what they want with your book and you have to get permission to do a second or sequel, and second edit the book yourself, if a publisher wants to edit the book and you give them permission they will change what they don't like and can fit it to fit what they want. Thus some of your own writing disappears and their writers re-write what they want losing your words and thoughts in your book. Just some things to think about.

Nativedude
12-11-2007, 02:05 AM
If your usling a publisher in the United States the book is going to have to be at least 80,000 words to be considered anything less is considered a short story unless its a childrens book(which would be a good idea and a money maker for ages 10-17). Self-publishing is a good way to start for a new author that is how I did my first book (fiction- a vampyre novel called Cross-Vampyre Hunter) and the publisher I used was first rate. However self-publishing costs money. My first book was published by AuthorHouse and if you tell them I told you about them they'll cut you a pretty good deal. Their webiste is www.authorhouse.com. In the U.S. once you write it down its considered copyrighted, but you can do it yourself cheaply or your publisher should do it and enter it into the library of congress so you get an LC number and an ISBN. PR is the big problem with self-publishing, usually you have to do that on your own. In your area it should sell very well, and a book signing is a great way to get things going. Also at a book signing bring a few sample items form your book that the readers can identify with as a visual helps them and readers seem to love that stuff. Also a bookmark (homemade) by you is a great way to get them interested, it can be as simple as the cover title on one side and the back with your pic and bio, or a hand made leather or natural type. I know this helped me out greatly when I did mine.
Since I have three books published if there is anything I can do to help you out let me know.
Beo,
P.S. A few little notes. Never give up your copyright to a publisher, they may want to offer you a fat check for the rights but then they can do what they want with your book and you have to get permission to do a second or sequel, and second edit the book yourself, if a publisher wants to edit the book and you give them permission they will change what they don't like and can fit it to fit what they want. Thus some of your own writing disappears and their writers re-write what they want losing your words and thoughts in your book. Just some things to think about.

Thanks Beo, appreciate the info.! :D