PDA

View Full Version : Zucchini chips

Chris
03-16-2010, 09:27 PM
So I got one of those nice Excaliber food dehydrators for my birthday. I'm sure I'll make lots of stuff, but one thing I know I'll make is zucchini chips, because, I always end up with so much zucchini.

I've seen recipes of just "put zucchini in food dehydrator" but I imagine there are ways to add additional flavor. Maybe brining before hand, soaking in vinegar, dusting with some sort of spice.

Anyone have some functional recipe to share? The goal is something good and crisp.

Ken
03-16-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm sure I'll make lots of stuff, but one thing I know I'll make is zucchini chips, because, I always end up with so much zucchini.

One sample for Crash and one sample for me.

The Q.C. report gets published within 72 hours after we accept delivery. :innocent:

Rick
03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I've never dehydrated them to crispy but you can do it. If you have big zukes then you'll need to peel them. If you use small ones the skin is thin enough you don't have to peel.

If they are big, get rid of both ends. Cut in it half long ways and scoop out the seeds. Cut 1/8 inch thick for chips. If you are using a small zuke then just cut the rounds into 1/8 inch thick slices.

Dip into a mixture of 1/4 cup soy sauce and 1/2 cup water and let them soak for 3 to 5 minutes. Arrange the zuke pieces on your trays and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Dehydrate for 4 to 8 hours depending on what kind of dehydrator you have.

You can even sprinkle the slices with cayenne pepper, lemon juice or dried herbs then dry them.

The thin slices will yield chips. If you want something to add to soups and stews then cut your zukes 1/4 inch thick, pat dry as much as you can then dry plain. The thicker slices with be more leathery.

I go for the thicker ones.