PDA

View Full Version : Negative Reputation

Rick
03-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I just wanted to make certain everyone was aware of WHEN negative reputation should be given. Negative reputation should be reserved for an extreme occurrence, not handed out because you didn't like a post or didn't agree with it.

When should/shouldn't I give negative reputation?
The issue of when you should give negative reputation is a tough one. Unlike positive reputation, do NOT give a member negative reputation ("rep" for short) if you simply disagree with them. For example, if a member posts a post stating that they believe the Rambo knives are the best and you disagree, do not give them negative reputation. It will not prove anything for yourself and will just make you look like an angry person who can't accept anyone disagreeing with your opinions. Basically speaking, only give negative reputation in extreme situations. If the person is personally insulting you, harassing other members, being rude and nasty, you may think about giving negative reputation. Please note that abusing the reputation system may result in disciplinary actions.

Ken
03-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Oh. Sorry 'bout that, 2dumb. :innocent:

2dumb2kwit
03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Dang...'cordin' to that, I should have been giving Ken negative rep, for a while now!:innocent:

crashdive123
03-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Just remember - if somebody is using negative rep to play games - turn about is fair play. If it gets abused, I could see the wolf pack ganging up on the abuser - just sayin'.

Sourdough
03-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes, I just got another (RED) Negative one this morning..........Someone did not like my post: "Pay raises for everyone" (Moderators & Administrator). O'Well, one day chicken, next day feathers.

I vote eliminating the whole Reputation Thingie.

For the record: I am man enough to sign all the reputation that I give. I have only ever given one (RED) Negative Rep, and that was to the guy ("Batcat", I think) who was assaulting NELL, and that was AFTER he was banned. And even this was on the advise of my lawyer.

Ken
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah, 2dumb. :sneaky2:

Ken
03-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Yes, I just got another (RED)one this morning..........Someone did not like my post: "Pay raises for everyone" (Moderators & Administrator).

You gotta' be sh!ttin me! That's really messed up. :sneaky2:

Sarge47
03-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Just trashed a PM someone sent regarding Neg Rep! Here's the original post:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif All About Reputation
What exactly is this "reputation?"
User Reputation's basis comes from the opinions of all the forum users that choose to take part in it. Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation will either give or take away points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.

Does it mean that I am not respected or beneficial to the board if I have a low reputation count?
Not at all! Reputation points really have nothing to do with the importance of a member or their benefit. It is simply a system implemented primarily for fun and entertainment purposes. Please do not be overly-concerned about your rep count. There are very few people, if any, that even care what your reputation count is. Some choose to ignore the feature altogether by disabling it. See the question, "How do I disable reputation system for myself" to see how one can disable their reputation from being displayed.

How can I turn the reputation system off/on?
You can turn your reputation off or on through your User (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/usercp.php)Control Panel (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/usercp.php).

To do this, go to the green bar near the top of the forum page. Next click on, "User CP". If you have received reputation from another member then you will see a box titled "Latest Reputation Received". On the far upper right hand corner of that box is a grey arrow. Click on the arrow and the box will roll up leaving you just the heading and the total points you have earned to date. You can not turn the Reputation system off but you can arrange your settings so you don't have to see the detail.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=84

How can I give out reputation to other members?
You can give out reputation to others simply by clicking on the reputation button next to their post. The button looks like this: http://www.bibleforums.org/forum/images/buttons/reputation.gif. When you click on the button, a little box should pop-up. There are two options in that box. You can either give positive or negative reputation (see the next two questions below). The default feature is to give out positive reputation. When you have decided on what type of reputation to give out, you can comment on the reputation you are giving. The little box that allows you to type things (input box) is simply there as an extra option to tell the other person why you are giving them reputation. It is not a requirement to type anything in that box, but it will certainly be a plus for the member you are giving rep to if you can tell them why you are giving them the rep. A typical comment often associated with a reputation is, "Thank you for the research." Once you are done, click the submit button and the reputation will transfer to the other member.

When should I give positive reputation?
You should give positive reputation whenever you feel that the post of another member of the forum was good and deserving of some praise. For example, if you think that a member's post answered your question very well, you can rep them so that they know that you are appreciative of their contribution.

When should/shouldn't I give negative reputation?
The issue of when you should give negative reputation is a tough one. Unlike positive reputation, do NOT give a member negative reputation ("rep" for short) if you simply disagree with them. For example, if a member posts a post stating that they believe the Rambo knives are the best and you disagree, do not give them negative reputation. It will not prove anything for yourself and will just make you look like an angry person who can't accept anyone disagreeing with your opinions. Basically speaking, only give negative reputation in extreme situations. If the person is personally insulting you, harassing other members, being rude and nasty, you may think about giving negative reputation. Please note that abusing the reputation system may result in disciplinary actions.

How can I see how much reputation I currently have?
You can see the amount of reputation that you currently have by going into your User Control Panel (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/usercp.php).

What are those comments I see in my UserCP?
The comments are given to you by the member who is 'repping' you. These comments may sometimes justify the reason for giving you the reputation points. You can give out comments like these to other members by typing in the text field in the reputation pop-up. Please note that it is not a requirement to give out reputation point comments and some users that give you reputation points will not leave any comments.

Why did I get positive/negative reputation?
First off, it is best to refer to the comments (see above) for the reputation point in question. If, however, the member leaving you the reputation did not leave a comment or left one that is ambiguous then you will not know the reason that a particular reputation was given.

What are those color boxes next to the reputation comment?
The color of the boxes indicate if the reputation point given is: negative, positive, or neutral (can be both). A green box means that the reputation is positive. A red box means that the reputation is negative. A gray box means that the user giving you the reputation does not have sufficient reputation power (see below) to make a difference on your reputation point level. The positive, negative, and neutral boxes are (respectively): http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=86 http://www.bibleforums.org/forum/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=85

What is the amount of reputation I can give out based on (reputation power)?
The amount of reputation you can give out depends on several factors. The factors are as follows: number of days you have been a member, number of posts you have, number of reputation points you currently have.

What are the values for all of the factors affecting my giving reputation power?
The values are as follows: For every 250 number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 2500 number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 800 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Can anyone give out reputation?
There are several factors that must be reached before a member can give out positive or negative reputation. The member must have at least 50 posts. The member must also have a reputation equivalent to or greater than 0

Is there a limit to how much reputation I can give out?
Yes. You can only give out no more than 10 reputation points per each 24 hour period. You can give a reputation point to the same user only after you have given reputation to 20 other users. Basically, if you have given 'Joe' a reputation, you must give 20 other members reputation before you can rep Joe again.

Extra notes to consider:
Some of these restrictions or rules may not apply to moderators and/or administrators.

So, according to this I can choose to withdraw from this, so how do I turn it off? :cool2:

Rick
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Go into your User CP. You should see the reputation dialog box. In the upper right hand corner of the dialog box is a blue arrow. If you click that arrow, the dialog box will close and you won't see the reputation. You'll just see a green bar that show your reputation points.

Look in the instructions you posted. There is a picture of the dialog box and a comment in red along with an arrow that shows how to close it.

Ken
03-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Hey Everybody!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iTncioBQZNk/ScJVBSishvI/AAAAAAAACl0/vbzbnTI3E9M/s400/play-nice-sign.jpg

And don't forget the Kevlar vests....... :innocent:

Sarge47
03-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Ever since this system has been put into place I've received both pos. & neg. rep. I never got my"panties in a bunch" over it, even though I knew who the neg. givers were most of the time; just figured that they had to vent & that everyone is entitled to their opinions! I never sent a PM to them, never cried about it on the public forum either!

If I ever do give anybody negative rep then I feel that it's deserved! However, if it's going to turn into a pi$$ing contest then who needs it! For the record I never gave Sourdough the negative Rep on his thread regarding pay-raises for mods...why would I? :confused1: :mad: :cool2:

Sourdough
03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
For the record I never gave Sourdough the negative Rep on his thread regarding pay-raises for mods...why would I? :confused1: :mad: :cool2:

I did not say you did, nor did I even consider that you did. As You say it is pretty easy using the time stamp to figure out who did. I was just having fun and wanted to see what happened when someone got 200 Rep Points. Now I am going to turn mine off. I do think it is disruptive, abused, and of little positive value to the forum. And I would like to see it eliminated.

trax
03-16-2010, 08:13 PM
But I really like giving good reputation, just sayin'. I've never given bad rep and it's always been to my own disappointment that Batsplat was banned before I could have a serious conversation with that dude. couple of others that have been banned here too, for that matter. But some comments really deserve a pat on the back so to speak

Ken
03-16-2010, 08:15 PM
I've never BEEN given bad rep.........

I musta' done something wrong........... :innocent:

red lake
03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
If you eliminate it I will give you negative rep for it. Oh wait...hang on...never mind.

To be honest you can guess who gave the rep but sometimes I have read a post and instead of responding gave rep instead.

Tripwire
03-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Someone make a camp fire

These kids need to hug and sing Kumbaya

If you dont know the words, then you need Negative Reputation

2dumb2kwit
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
One of these days, I'll check to see if I have any good or bad rep.:innocent:

So far, anyone that I would have even thought about giving neg. rep. to, was banned before I had a chance. LOL

Ken
03-16-2010, 08:51 PM

So far, anyone that I would have even thought about giving neg. rep. to, was banned before I had a chance. LOL

I'm memorializing this post. For the record. :)

Sarge47
03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
I did not say you did, nor did I even consider that you did. As You say it is pretty easy using the time stamp to figure out who did. I was just having fun and wanted to see what happened when someone got 200 Rep Points. Now I am going to turn mine off. I do think it is disruptive, abused, and of little positive value to the forum. And I would like to see it eliminated.I know you didn't think I did it, the reason was obvious. I, too, would like to see it eliminated. Some people are taking it waaaay too serious!:cool2:

Ken
03-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Will the last guy standing win the toaster by default? :blushing:

Ken
03-16-2010, 09:46 PM

Heck, I offered you rep points to help me with yard work and you said "no." So....................

Will ya' mow my lawn for free? :)

trax
03-16-2010, 09:50 PM
I musta' done something wrong........... :innocent:

although I'm suddenly tempted to, when barrister boy starts messing with my posts.

Hey, Ken, come on up for supper, talk to a few of my neighbors if ya think I don't have any bad rep, LOL

Ken
03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
although I'm suddenly tempted to, when barrister boy starts messing with my posts.

Hey, Ken, come on up for supper, talk to a few of my neighbors if ya think I don't have any bad rep, LOL

I'll bring the beer and dessert. What time?

trax
03-16-2010, 10:05 PM
I'll bring the beer and dessert. What time?

Uh yeah, this is Canada partner, pick up the beer on my side of the border ok?

Ken
03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Uh yeah, this is Canada partner, pick up the beer on my side of the border ok?

Kindabeer?

Rick
03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I think he wants real beer. Not kindabeer.

Ken
03-16-2010, 10:12 PM
You modified your post. I coulda', but I won't.

And I won't only because you'd modify MY post, so what's the use?

Ken
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Sonofamoose! I'm out of V-8 juice. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!!! Now I've gotta' go to the damn store. It's almost midnight. :sneaky2:

Sourdough
03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
On the Alaska Outdoor Forum the members can only give positive green rep points. The owner and his administrator can and do fine you with red negative points, and they can fine you a lot if you don't behave, but members can not give Red points.

Chris
03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I could do that, turn off only the negative side.

Kinda like a "if you don't have anything nice to say..." sort of thing.

Pal334
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
That may be a good way to go. Keeps everything on a positive path.

Sourdough
03-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I could do that, turn off only the negative side.

Kinda like a "if you don't have anything nice to say..." sort of thing.

DO it, Do it. I mean what is the downside for anyone. Any chance we can get the cycle changed from 20 to say 10 on the greenies........?