PDA

View Full Version : search and rescue dogs

corndog-44
11-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Which breed of dog do you think is best for search and rescue?

Rick
11-30-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm tempted to say the one that finds me, but I won't.

According to NASAR, "SAR dogs are usually the larger working and sporting breeds of dogs. German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Golden Retrievers, Giant Schnauzers, and Labradors are among the breeds found on SAR unit rosters."

http://www.nasar.org/nasar/sar_dog_fact_sheet.php

You have just witnessed my thimble full of knowledge on the subject....

Stealth
11-30-2007, 11:07 AM
ive only "worked" (im a licensed vet tech and ive participated in a few training sessions) with german shepherds for SAR and they do an amazing job IMO, golden retrievers would be my second option followed by dobermans

LadyTrapper
11-30-2007, 03:21 PM
German shepards most definitely come to mind. I have a Rottie so am partial to them.
We have a breed of dog here called the Newfoundland Dog. They are equal in size and and fur length to the St Bernard. They were originally bred for water rescues and to accompany fisherman on their lobster boats here to retrieve anyone who went overboard in the cold Atlantic Ocean, bring them a lifesaver and ride/tow back to the boat. Beautiful powerful dogs most all black...look just like a bear. LOL
Here is a link to a great story about one of these rescue dogs. Kinda sad ending but a good read just the same.
http://www.stemnet.nf.ca/CITE/newfoundland_gander_hero.htm

Nativedude
11-30-2007, 11:37 PM
I have a 2 y.o. Akita. He is great for S.A.R. He's got a nose like a bloodhound, and he can track game too!

Shepherds and retrievers are great S.A.R. breeds too!

Beo
12-01-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm a big fan of yellow labs.

morey22
12-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Hello Folks,

I am a newbie!!! and look forward to being a member of this forum.

I would be grateful of any type of k-9 breed finding me, although I perfer to work with German Sheperds there are many different breeds able to do the work.

Proud American
12-01-2007, 10:44 AM
LadyTrapper
We have a breed of dog here called the Newfoundland Dog. They are equal in size and and fur length to the St Bernard. They were originally bred for water rescues and to accompany fisherman on their lobster boats here to retrieve anyone who went overboard in the cold Atlantic Ocean, bring them a lifesaver and ride/tow back to the boat. Beautiful powerful dogs most all black...look just like a bear. LOL

So true my neighbor has one its there anti theft security(they havent been robbed yet). Also like Labs and Golden Retrievers there so cute and friendly.

LadyTrapper
12-01-2007, 05:25 PM
That's cool..PA...I hadnt realized this breed was even known of in places so far from here. They are an awesome dog.

corndog-44
12-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Welcome to the Wilderness Survival Forums.

German Shepherds are one of the best air-scenting dogs. Bloodhounds are the best trailing dogs.

It's important to remember that humans invented the distinction between trailing and air scenting. In fact, a trailing dog will air scent if that's how the strongest scent is coming to her; and an air-scenting dog will follow a hot ground trail. But each dog is most reliable when performing the task that she's been specially trained to do.

corndog-44
12-02-2007, 01:33 AM
That's cool..PA...I hadnt realized this breed was even known of in places so far from here. They are an awesome dog.

There is a Newfoundland dog that comes and pays me a visit from time-to-time. Don't know who he belongs to. Nice and friendly, he is. Though he doesn't take to kindly to those who make corndog jokes :D.