PDA

View Full Version : Flintknapping - My First Point

preachtheWORD
03-15-2010, 10:37 AM
The various threads on flintknapping, and especially the thread by Deadly Tao on his first flintknapping experiences have been too much for me. I had to do it myself.

My dad has been knapping for about 15 years. I have picked up some general knowledge from him, but I had not actually attempted to knap a point until Saturday.

Here is what I ended up with:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=197&pictureid=1618

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=197&pictureid=1619

Nothing special, but I am sure happy with it for a first point.

I must say, I think I might be hooked. That was the most fun I've had in a while. I hope to visit the old man again this evening and knap a little more.

canid
03-15-2010, 10:42 AM
great for a first point. it would be right at home an an arrow shaft.

Mischief
03-15-2010, 12:59 PM
What material,rock, did you use making the point?
Was the rock cooked?
Save your first point so you can look back on it when you become a master knapper
Very good first point

canid
03-15-2010, 01:04 PM
i'm 98% sure that's obsidian.

Mischief
03-15-2010, 01:13 PM
i'm 98% sure that's obsidian.

That is what I thought,however,I did not see any signs of blood :devil:
Hoping it was some Alabama Black so I could gain more info on the stuff.

preachtheWORD
03-15-2010, 02:13 PM
It is obsidian of a very dark gray, almost black shade. It came from out west somewhere. A few years ago somebody brought my dad a couple 5 gallon buckets full of fist-sized chunks of obsidian of various grades. I am lucky to have some good stuff to learn on.

My dad has taught a few people to knap, and he always says that it requires a little "blood sacrifice." I didn't cut myself making this point, but I got a good bleed going on the day before when I was spalling. I am pretty sure that is the proper term for knocking usable flakes off a larger chunk using a hammerstone.

If I have time today I will get another point going.

canid
03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
That is what I thought,however,I did not see any signs of blood

hahahaha. i know what you mean. all of my white-wood handled flakers are kinda dingy brown at this point, in a nice blotchy pattern.

Rick
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
That's a super job. I'd hang on to it, too. Very nice.

crashdive123
03-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Well done PTW - looks good.

Gut shot
03-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Good job , save it as others have said it's a first and is special. Welcome to the addiction!

Deadly Tao
03-15-2010, 05:37 PM
I can't tell how big it is, but it looks very cool. Maybe a picture with it in your hand, or compared to a pen?

Why do I ask? Because I can't get my damned flakes to make their way across the flat plane unless it's really narrow, and If you've managed, then you're ahead of me already.

I just logged on to do some more knapping, found a 40oz beer bottle I plan to use the bottom from, much bigger than the others. As I stated in my thread, my neighborhood is a rich outcrop of beer bottles.

Deadly Tao
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
On a further note... still no blood shed for me except for the idiotic slip of the knife while crafting my billets. I have a few times felt embarrassed to feel a piece of glass fly up and hit me in the cheek. I was not wearing eye protection... this made me feel really stupid and it happened both times while I was pressure flaking. Remember to pressure flake toward your palm or thigh, and always away from your face! ...and get eye protection.

Good work.

your_comforting_company
03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
..when I was spalling. I am pretty sure that is the proper term for knocking usable flakes off a larger chunk using a hammerstone.

or a sledgehammer or another boulder. That's the right term. That's really good for a first. My first ones kinda looked like cookie monster got hold of them lol. Good instructor?

Why do I ask? Because I can't get my damned flakes to make their way across the flat plane unless it's really narrow, my neighborhood is a rich outcrop of beer bottles.

you really have to establish convexity on the faces. I've seen craig shoot 3" flakes across whole pieces that were set up properly.. but it takes him a LOT of rock to set it up like that. I can shoot them across on small pieces, but I settle for halfway on larger ones. It really is in the ridges, they focus the energy.

Maybe we can get PTW to ask his dad and get some tips for all of us! PTW, does your dad have a computer?

Ted
03-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Sweet man, looks great! You sure thats your 1st?

rebel
03-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Very nice. In comparison, can anyone give a difficulty level between the different mediums?

your_comforting_company
03-16-2010, 05:59 AM
I've used glass, and rocks. obsidian and glass are the same. cooked rocks are a little harder, uncooked are the hardest unless you are really lucky like Poco and have really good stuff. while they are similar, glass / obsidian are much easier. I was warned that glass would "spoil me" lol. I rate glass as very easy / butter. I like to use local chert just because that's what we have on hand wherever I might be lol. I rate it as very hard / crappy. I'm no rock-ologist. I just bang em together ;)

preachtheWORD
03-16-2010, 08:31 AM
you really have to establish convexity on the faces. I've seen craig shoot 3" flakes across whole pieces that were set up properly.. but it takes him a LOT of rock to set it up like that. I can shoot them across on small pieces, but I settle for halfway on larger ones. It really is in the ridges, they focus the energy.

From what I can gather, getting those long flakes has more to do with the shape of the piece you start with. I made a point yesterday from a spall with one very convex side and got some good flakes going.

Maybe we can get PTW to ask his dad and get some tips for all of us! PTW, does your dad have a computer?

He has a computer, but he has dial-up internet that is so slow it would make a snail cry. I keep telling him about this site and he seems very interested. I hope he gets interested enough to get high speed internet. I think he would fit in good here.

your_comforting_company
03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
sorry.. are you agreeing that the convex side shot flakes across better? sorry. I just want to make sure I understand.

preachtheWORD
03-17-2010, 08:45 AM
sorry.. are you agreeing that the convex side shot flakes across better? sorry. I just want to make sure I understand.

Yes, that is what happened. I worked on the flatter side first, and spent more time working down the convex side. Near the end I was getting flakes that went all the way across the piece. You can sorta see it in the picture of my second point from the other thread. Here it is again:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=197&pictureid=1621

your_comforting_company
03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks for clarifying that. On a normal rock (not bottle bottom) you have to work the flake (spall) gradually toward a convex shape before you can shoot the flakes all the way across.
PTW you are making great progress. Just don't do like me and start trying to chew the shape out too fast.. you'll get hinges all over. I need to be more patient lol. I have improved since I was scolded for trying to take too much off at a time, but I already formed the habit and am having a hard time breaking it.. I seem to break points instead lol!
Good Job guys. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Inspiring stuff!