PDA

View Full Version : holiday gift ideas?

bumblingoutback
11-29-2007, 08:39 PM
I am stumped this year and need help. I'm looking for things in all price ranges, for family, friends.... I've got kids and adults on the list as well. If you could list gifts that you bought that went over well, or gifts you received that you really liked that would be a start. My two staples are picnic baskets because they come in all price ranges and few people have them - and lambswool slippers, because who doesn't like warm feet?

Stealth
11-29-2007, 10:41 PM
kitties, everyone likes kitties.

spiritman
11-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Kitties? wth? ok ok I guess I do to. . . but everyone REALLY likes electronics! Your on a computer right?

Rick
11-30-2007, 01:30 PM
I like kitties. I like kitties a lot! A little salt and pepper. A dash of galic. MMmmmm. A LOT better the wood grubs! Just joking Stealth, just joking. Nice kitty. (wink).

Everyone is sure to have their opinion on this one. So, here goes.

With adults, I'd say practical. Something like a prepaid Visa or Mastercard card they could use for gas or groceries. But practical for adults. For kids, I'm a bit partial to educational. There are plenty of gifts out there that allow kids to have fun and still learn. Wally world is chock full of 'em and you can check online for the age you're interested in.

Anything in the tool line for me, as long as it's quality. And thanks for thinkin' of me.

Sarge47
11-30-2007, 01:49 PM
If we hadn't ran off the "Heathen Chinee Spambots" you coulda got a great deal on a handbag, shoes, etc.:rolleyes:

Chris
11-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I like buying people nicer things than they would buy for themselves. So I'll tend to buy less items for someone, but get them nicer things. I get a lot of cashmere sweaters for instance. LandsEnd has affordable ones that are still nice.

A fun gift is a custom bobble head. Search google. You just need pictures of someone and you can get a custom bobblehead made for them. Great gift for the person with everything.

I also like gourmet food, if someone likes certain foods like cheese, hot sauce, wine, or dare I say... mushrooms? You can get them a gift basket or perhaps a "cheese of the month" type club where once a month they'll get a different cheese. Amazon.com has a nice gourmet food selection, also igourmet.com

Basically I see people who are perhaps too frugal to every pamper or treat themselves and so figure the only way they'll ever get pampered or treated is if someone else buys it for them. (massage certificates,e tc, also nice).

LadyTrapper
11-30-2007, 03:14 PM
I have been making most of my gifts for family and friends for a few years now. One year was quilts, last year was crafts made of tree mushrooms and wooden burls. I painted scenes on them of birds. I even made snowmen and angels from them by gluing them together and they turned out rather lifelike. The smaller oyster tree shrooms I painted poinsettas on them and attached a gold thread for a tree ornament. THis year, I am giving mostly birdhouses made by my carpenter husband and decorated by me. Miniature log cabin styles with the attached front porchc being the feeding area and swallow boxes that look like a mini bird condo. LOL Adding a bag of birdseed to the gift so the gift can keep on giving to the local bird wildlife year round.
Famliy loves them(or at least they say they do LOL)...it's easier on the pocket book and they know I put the extra thought and time into making the gift.

MCBushbaby
11-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't mean to sound like a scrooge but I'm horrible at presents (and others are horrible at getting what I want) so I don't even do gifts anymore. Just give them the cash you'd spend... seems scroogey but they get what they want, if to get it themselves of course. Hope I didn't bust the christmas bubble already :o

EDIT: Oh, I do spend some time in the used book store and pick up classics for folks. Though not many people nowadays like to receive books as presents... friggen electronics

Rick
11-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Not true, Mitch. I like books and would be happy to receive one from you. But be sure to drop it in the mail soon. The holidays are creeping up on us. :O)

nell67
11-30-2007, 04:22 PM
If we hadn't ran off the "Heathen Chinee Spambots" you coulda got a great deal on a handbag, shoes, etc.:rolleyes:
Nah Sarge,they weren't offering the nice mocs and mucklucks that I saw on the boots thread,LOL they can keep their handbags and shoes:D!

spiritman
11-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh, I do spend some time in the used book store and pick up classics for folks. Though not many people nowadays like to receive books as presents... friggen electronics

Actually i hadn't even thought of that but books are one of my favorite things to get. it would even top MOST electronics.

Proud American
11-30-2007, 08:50 PM
For the kids they most likely have a game system find that out and get them a game (most likely the'll like first person shooters). I like books also, the problem is you have to know somthin abot the person to realy help so sadly your probably goin to get generic ideas. Lady Trapper had a cool plan, home made bird houses, nice. but then again teens are my specialty....so tell me if they have a gamee system or not and ill possibly be able to help more. So my suggestion for anyone....
1.Gift Card and stuff like that
2.Electronics
3.Books

dilligaf2u2
12-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Start a tradition!

Wool sox!

A good pair of wool sox can cover your feet, Hands, and if long ones like I get, your grand kids cold ears.

No one ever has enough wool sox. Cotton sox suck in the winter.

When I was growing up in cold country, I knew I would get at least 2 pair of wool sox from my grand dad, for Christmas, every year. In time, I started looking forward to getting them. My father always gave my son at least 2 pair every Christmas. I now give my grand kids wool sox. It has come to where they know one gift they will get is wool sox and the oldest Grand Dau looks for them, to open first now. She even told her mother she did not need new sox, that Santa-Pa Pa was bringing them.

Start a tradition that can be remembered and cherished. Gloves, sox, cute hat. It does not really matter. My brother does books. My sister give eatable fruit cake every year.

A tradition lasts for ever.

Don!

bumblingoutback
12-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Oooo! These are great suggestions, thanks! Wool sox I am taking - I am all about the footwarming presents. :) I rented a nice film called Outsourced (http://outsourcedthemovie.com/) last night that I think would make a good holiday gift. It's not holiday themed but it is warm and uplifting and funny without just being fluff. About a guy who has to go to India because his department is outsourced there and to add insult to injury he has to train his replacement. Cute story of him learning about another country. Was thinking I might stay on the DVD theme and get a few others, nothing like one-stop shopping.

Proud American
12-02-2007, 12:31 AM
dilligaf2u2

Start a tradition!

Wool sox!

Yeah my Grandma makes all my cousins matchin pj(how cool is that).

Beo
12-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Get'em a Ranger Rick survival necklace ...lol... jk, i like the money thing.

spiritman
12-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Start a tradition!

My sister give eatable fruit cake every year.

???? How this can be I know not of.

dilligaf2u2
12-02-2007, 06:42 PM
My Sister makes her own Fruit cakes. From scratch. None of this candied fruit either. She dries the fruit herself. She also sends a half pint of brandy with each cake she is giving to an adult. Home made Blackberry brandy! Now you know how to make fruitcake eatable.

The Movie (8 below) would be a good DVD to give.

Yeah my Grandma makes all my cousins matching pj(how cool is that). Sweet, I love it. Something they will remember all their lives!

Don

Rick
12-02-2007, 07:08 PM
There you go, Spiritman. It's the brandy. Two drinks and a bite. Two drinks and a bite. Shay, you know this fruit cake shtuf is pretty good.

I don't know about ya'll, but wool against the skin itches. That's probably why sheep are scratching all the time. Look at smartwool. Same properties as wool without the itch.

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm

Borelli
12-02-2007, 08:07 PM
You can always get somebody a good knife if they are into that sort of thing