PDA

View Full Version : Draw knife,crooked knife

bill452010
03-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Anyone have any ideas what I can turn into a draw knife and a crooked knife?I thought of bending an old filet knife to make the crooked knife.I have read about using a hoof knife but want to use things that might be lying around the house and garage.Just in the mood to make something and I've been using power tools way too much.Thanks for any ideas.

canid
03-14-2010, 10:24 AM
a filet knife might be perfect.

if the temper is right, you might even be able to induce the curvature by cold bending. just make sure the angle of the bend isn't too extreme [e.g. do it over/against something round edged, like a cylindrical object, by the smooth application of pressure [don't crank down on it or strike it].

i cold formed the bend on my little crook knife.

as for a draw knife, you'll want a thicker gauge of steel. use any simple carbon steel that is already hardened and tempered fairly hard, or you'll have to do your own heat treat. wood cutting tools should be pretty hard, as they need to be well sharpened at all times, and you don't want to go stopping every 5 min.

canid
03-14-2010, 10:27 AM
old lawn mower blades make fair draw knives, by most accounts, but i think they are too soft as-is.

Sourdough
03-14-2010, 10:33 AM
A short Leaf-spring might make a start on a draw knife.

crashdive123
03-14-2010, 10:39 AM
An old file would make a good draw knife as well.

When you get a chance, maybe you could stop be the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

canid
03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
it would want to be a fairly thin gauge one too. the pickup leafspring piece i have is nearly 1/4"

maybe one from a small trailer or cart.

bill452010
03-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the ideas on steel but,I was thinking more of converting,modifying an existing object not crafting a work of art like some of the blades you guys make.Thanks again for your input.

canid
03-14-2010, 12:55 PM
oh, another idea: hedge shear blade.

could be done almost entirely on a bench grinder.

bill452010
03-14-2010, 01:07 PM
canid,now your talking I am heading out to the garage now I know there's an old pair of shears somewhere out there THANKS

canid
03-14-2010, 01:18 PM
if you have a propane torch, you can even grind one out with little handle prongs, then heat the base of the prongs with the torch to bend them, and make your handles angled, without any hassle. you'd only have to heat the area to be bent.

of course, you don't have to get that fancy either.