PDA

View Full Version : marking wild edibles for observation

Canadian-guerilla
03-11-2010, 10:41 AM
just started doing this recently with colored wool string

i figure if i come across a plant skeleton of something that might be a wild edible
i put a string on it so i can track it's growth thru the spring/summer and hopefully ID later on

RED - unknown

BLACK ( near base ) - wild edible, for high traffic areas

GREEN - wild edible - to watch how leaves, buds, flowers, develop as they grow

does anyone else do this ?

gryffynklm
03-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Thats a great idea, How long have you been doing this? How had the color held up over time. Many fabric dyes will degrade over a years time from UV. Blacks turn muddy red brown, reds pink out, green fades. It all depends on what type of dye was used. Have you had any fading issues?

hybrid
03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a great idea in areas with a lot of seasonal variation. Some rainforest species here are much more easily spotted and ID'd when in flower, with fairly insignificant fruit... your idea may be handy for people who won't be in an area often enough to get to know the lay of the land so to speak.

I have marked some mushroom sites on my Google Earth, not quite the same thing but it beats asking "where were those Arvensis again?".Not all sites fruit annually so it can be hard to remember.

You can pick up UV stabilised forestry tape, it comes in serious vis colours and seems to hold up pretty well in aussie light levels.

gryffynklm
03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Hy good suggestion.

Canadian-guerilla
03-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Thats a great idea, How long have you been doing this? How had the color held up over time. Many fabric dyes will degrade over a years time from UV. Blacks turn muddy red brown, reds pink out, green fades. It all depends on what type of dye was used. Have you had any fading issues?

first time i've tried this, started 2 weeks ago
before with wild edibles, i've always waited for leaves/flowers to develop for ID
and missed out on a lot of early spring edibles

just grabbed some young garlic mustard leaves yesterday
and tied a yellow marker aroung a stalk/petiole , ( to see if the leaf grows back )

gryffynklm
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
There is still snow on the ground in places her in WV. Its 60˚F today and should be 45 to 55 for the next week. Things are starting to pop up like snow drops.

tonydeis
03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
This is brilliant. It's actually something that I been looking to add into some of our basic wild foods courses. The idea being that even within species variations occur based on context: soil, sunlight, etc.

Not only does this build a better understanding of species (sans field guide) but I bet it is a great way to get people get what affects a plant's individual growth. I've always tried the same thing with tracking. I'm not simply following a bear but a specific bear. It's just harder to tie a string to that.

Thanks for the useful tip. I may have some of our students (and me) start that ASAP.

crashdive123
03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Don't forget that Chris has created a site dedicated to helping identify and mark the location of wild edible and medicinal plants. http://www.wildcrafting.net/

hybrid
03-11-2010, 07:36 PM
may be an idea to ensure whatever marking system is being used does not overlap with that used by local council or forestry workers... if you tied a pink tape to almost anything around my place, someone would chainsaw it down a week later :P

There can be great variation with a species, related to both terrain but also climate and how the season has been. Drought hardened fruit for example is almost always smaller and harder than juicy well hydrated stuff but the flavour blows you away and it is often less bug prone. Plants in windy, dry spots tend to have a higher capacity for aromatic and oil production. Some leafy crops taken from areas of high nitrate presence can be very bad for children and even adults, if large amounts are eaten. Many species will suffer from poor fruit and bud set if their flowering phase runs into some very wet weather, etc.

The great thing about plants is, they never read websites or plant guides, so they are a little more free to grow how they need to, rather than how we assume they should. I am forever finding wattles flowering 4 or 5 months out of whack, for instance.

Rick
03-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Cg - I think that's a great idea. You might also keep a journal as to location and what you suspect or know that plant to be. That way you'll know exactly where it is and what it is and be able to see it go through the seasonal changes. Nice idea.

rwc1969
03-12-2010, 03:32 AM
I would have to use something much more subtle. around here all areas are high traffic. sounds like a good idea thoguh.

Canadian-guerilla
04-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I would have to use something much more subtle. around here all areas are high traffic. sounds like a good idea thoguh.

here's one of my " subtle " markers near the bottom of a fenceline
there's a trail right on the fenceline, so i didn't use any colored markers
i've ditched the colored wool for colored pipecleaners ( better rain-wise )

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/wildedibles1/unknowns/IMG_0647.jpg

your_comforting_company
04-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I'd have to say that's pretty subtle.. I can't even see it!
you sure you're gonna be able to find it later?

Canadian-guerilla
04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd have to say that's pretty subtle.. I can't even see it!
you sure you're gonna be able to find it later?

a foot long broken twig interwoven horizontally into the fence
i know the general area of my markers
a perpendicular line from this ( fence ) marker leads to the wild edible 7 feet off the fence

crashdive123
04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
a foot long broken twig interwoven horizontally into the fence
i know the general area of my markers
a perpendicular line from this fence marker leads to the wild edible 7 feet off the fence

You should really look at the section of this forum for marking plants. It really is pretty cool. http://www.wildcrafting.net/

rwc1969
04-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Good idea CG.

your_comforting_company
04-03-2010, 03:38 PM
LOL. The twig IS the marker! Brilliant and discreet. I like the idea!

Canadian-guerilla
11-10-2010, 10:43 AM
gonna go thru some of my wild edible areas and mark some spots before the snow comes

i'll find a spot ( tree/bush ) near the wild edible
where i can tie an orange/yellow tape/marker 3-4 feet above the ground
and have a string from the marker leading down to the wild edible itself

after a few snows
i can uncover the wild edible and see what it looks like over winter

gotta get another digital camera, sold mine when the computer went