PDA

View Full Version : alternative cooking

rebel
03-07-2010, 07:59 PM
A couple of different cooking methods I want to try this year.

The first is a sunshade solar cooker. I think this is a great idea. It could be packable and cheap to make. http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Windshield_Shade_Solar_Cooker

The second is to make a wood burning rocket stove. They seem to be efficient. You can youtube the stoves for construction.

Has anyone here tried these?

Alaskan Survivalist
03-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Another method you may like to try is Thermos cooking. Just put ingredients in thermos with boiling water and seal. It is a slow cooker that needs no more energy input. Saves fuel on the trail and clean up is easy (nothing stuck to pan). Rice, beans and stuff like that can take time to cook and you can cover a lot of distance while it is.

preachtheWORD
03-08-2010, 12:06 PM
The solar cooker looks good. Seems a little bulky to carry around in a pack, though. I have seen several variants on the idea.

I like the Thermos idea. Will it really fully cook dried rice or beans? Beans take forever to get fully done in an electric crockpot, even after soaking. (made some yesterday, sorr I didn't save any for you guys)

aflineman
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Another method you may like to try is Thermos cooking. Just put ingredients in thermos with boiling water and seal. It is a slow cooker that needs no more energy input. Saves fuel on the trail and clean up is easy (nothing stuck to pan). Rice, beans and stuff like that can take time to cook and you can cover a lot of distance while it is.

I will be doing more of this. So far I have really only tried rice. Great way to make rice for one person.

Durtyoleman
03-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Never tried beans but I have done whole oats and wheat in a thermos for a hot breakfast, Add boiling water and close for an hour...once it has soaked all the water add a bit more boiling water to increase the heat again then open in another half hour and add cream,butter,sugar, whatever floats your boat and chow down, Works good for grits too.

D.O.M.

rwc1969
03-09-2010, 01:34 AM
I like the idea of the solar cooker.

Durtyoleman
03-09-2010, 01:55 AM
The solar cooker looks good. Seems a little bulky to carry around in a pack, though.

I've been toying with an idea for a folding solar cooker made from lightweight aluminum flashing material, and a regular camp cook set painted black...If I ever work out the details and make it I'll post it here first.

D.O.M.