PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow ?

Smok
11-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Here is something good http://rudderbows.com/crossbowkit.html

spiritman
11-28-2007, 06:58 AM
I have similar instructions for a rubber band gun around here somewhere....

Beo
11-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Crossbows were invented by people not good enough with a longbow. :D

carpet_ninja
12-08-2007, 08:11 AM
im interested in making some kind of crossbow i wouldn't be able to do it any time soon tho.

i dont know how i would tip my bolts tho

Proud American
12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Id like to introduce you to a great invention......a gun!Think about it.

In all seriosness a cross bow could be quite useful, especialy if you stink with a bow(like me),but this is a kit and youd be hard pressed to make one in the wild with this as your template, but if you know how to make a crossbow out of things you find in the woods tell me about it seriously.

Rick
12-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Proud and Ninja,

I'm not too keen on a crossbow. I've said in other posts that I'm not too keen on active hunting if I don't have to. I prefer to set snares and/or fish traps and let them do the work for me. That way I can conserve my energy, my resources (you lose bolts if you miss) and still be able to capture protein. I don't want to take down big game in a survival situation because then I have the problem of storing large amounts of meat.

If you live a primitive lifestyle or hunt, and specifically want to take larger game with a bow (or gun) then that's a different issue altogether.

Always try to keep in mind, how can I make the least do the most. In other words, carry items that have multiple uses so you aren't loaded down with items that only perform a specific task. Weight is important. To me, a crossbow is a single purpose item that justs ads weight to my pack.

Proud American
12-09-2007, 07:41 PM
I know you like traps and snares better. Just that snares wont protect you against a bear. Wait, I know stay away from Bears and they wont bother you gun or no gun I dont want to get mixed up with a bear anyway.But Rick the thread is crossbows not traps.Just bein annoyin, acorss your right but a gun has more uses then a cross bow so Im still right, but you cant neccesarily make a gun out of natural materials wich is why id take the crossbow if Smok or anyone knew how to make them from scratch.So basssicly thats it, dont bagg on me though spiritman was talkin about a rubberband gun lol.I know you were just helping me and Ninja out thanks for the info Rick

Rick
12-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Proud - Crossbows is the subject. Both you and Carpet Ninja expressed an interest in them. My point is that for most individuals, crossbows are next to useless. I understand the fascination. I think they are pretty high on the "cool meter" myself but pretty low on practicality. I'm not trying to hammer on either of you. I"m trying to teach. If I came across too strong, my apologies. That wasn't my intent.

A couple of things to keep in mind. Where I live, I am the top of the food chain. Bunny rabbits and possums don't kill and eat people. So I have little to fear other than my own stupidity, an accident, or other people. While I do carry a weapon for protection when I'm in the field, its caliber is based on the environment I'm in. If I were in Smok's Rocky Mountains or in AK or Canada for example, then I would make some changes in the weapon because I could be on food chain. If I meet up with a bear or another top predator and it looks like I can't avoid being on the menu then I want something a whole lot more substantial than a single bolt in my shaking hands. The odds of being able to cock a crossbow and re-arm it for a second shot are pretty slim in my mind and I want to do a lot more than just make the predator angry. A bear is a very fast animal. He can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. So can a mountain lion.

Which comes back to practicality. I can also use that weapon as a distress signal if I'm in a survival situation. Remember that three of anything is a distress signal so three shots could get someone's attention. I could also use the black powder from a bullet to start a fire. The crossbow doesn't offer any of those conveniences so I'm back to a single use instrument as I indicated above.

Hunting with a crossbow is either banned, heavily restricted or restricted to those with disabilities in many locations across the U.S. and Canada. Only about 8 U.S. states and Ontario (I think those numbers are correct) allow hunting with a crossbow without some heavy restrictions so its practicality is further reduced by legislation.

As for making an expedient crossbow in the field, you would expend a lot of energy creating something of little value when something more practical (long bow for example) could more easily and readily be made or if you're just lazy like me, you can let your snares and fish traps do the work for you.

In the end, crossbows are dangerous to play around with and of little value in the field for most people. Those are just my thoughts for a couple of young guys just learning survival skills.

Proud American
12-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks Rick as always.O BTW i am against crossbows any way rather have a gun, and you are so right about that makin the bear angry.Sorry lame hypothetical argument, but just to put your mind at ease if you see a teenager in the woods with a crossbow it wont be me. Ill be the kid packin a M240 SAW......jk!No bear can handle that(I dont think I CAN handle that gun its big)!

Sarge47
12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
I always thought a cross bow was a bow that got angry...you know..."cross"..."angry"...no?:confused::rolleyes:

Rick
12-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Don't you hate it when the dog sleeps all day then gets up confused?

FVR
12-10-2007, 09:46 PM
The problem with crossbows are that many of those that use them, take rifle distance shots with what is basically a cocked and locked compound bow.

Distance on the crossbow is the same as that of a compound and should be adhered to. When the big outdoors companies made a push for the use of compounds for hunting deer, I was one of those that wrote letters to a variety of reps and papers, matter of fact, a few got published in the Ga and Md local papers.

As I've grown older and somewhat wiser, I've realized that it's not the equipment one uses to hunt, but rather the hunter. If it's legal, though I may not use it, I can justifiably sit across the fire from someone and discuss many topics. But usually the stickbow shooter is the brunt of humorous jokes.

As a society of some hunters, we are getting away from the art, yes art of hunting for what is really harvesting. You may be against the crossbow, that is a tool. Why not speak out against the guy who leases land, feeds them corn, grain, and vietamin suppliments to grow them to trophy size, then hides behing a blind waiting for the critter to come to a food plot. He then justifies his manhood by the size of the headgear.

That's my rant.

corndog-44
12-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Here in Indiana crossbows legal only in late archery season and only for anterless deer.

Rick
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Hmmm. Not certain if that was directed at my post or not. If it was, I tried to take great pains to differentiate between a 13 year old's fascination with a crossbow and someone that is a serious hunter and chooses it as his weapon of choice. I also tried to point out the differences in survival options between the cross bow and a fire stick.

If it wasn't directed at my post....never mind.

Corndog. If you carry a hack saw, all deer are antlerless. (duh)

corndog-44
12-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Rick, you gotta cut the antlers off while it's still running wild and free before you shoot it...good luck to ya on that :D.

toasta
12-11-2007, 01:39 AM
my dad has one of those exactly like that in storage. I know cause i shot my brother with it.:p

corndog-44
12-11-2007, 02:33 AM
my dad has one of those exactly like that in storage. I know cause i shot my brother with it.:p

With a crossbow? :eek:

spiritman
12-11-2007, 03:24 AM
or the rubberband gun?

Sarge47
12-11-2007, 07:56 AM

I'm making my list, hmmm, let's see: Ate Poison Oak, fell down an embankment,
found a bullet buried in his multi-tool with no idea how it got there, shot his brother with a cross-bow, real name is Chris, Nick-name is "Lucky".:rolleyes:

Jay
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
found a bullet buried in his multi-tool with no idea how it got there, shot his brother with a cross-bow, real name is Chris, Nick-name is "Lucky".:rolleyes:

If I had a list like that tacked to my name...I'd get clean outta town!!

toasta
12-11-2007, 12:23 PM

if am lucky then why did i fall down the embankment? that really hurt

trax
12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Think Sarge called you Lucky cuz you're still here.

Also, FVR's right, it's about the hunter not the tool of choice.

Also, bunny rabbits and possums DON"T attack and eat people where you live Rick? Where's the fun in going outdoors? Where's the challenge?:D :D

Sarge47
12-11-2007, 12:59 PM
If I had a list like that tacked to my name...I'd get clean outta town!!

That's the problem, he's "outta town" when all that happens!:eek::rolleyes:

Rick
12-11-2007, 02:40 PM
They just trap us and give us a karate chop on the back of the neck. It hurts but you don't die from it.

trax
12-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Man Rick you do manage to bust me up some times...perfect answer dude.

Aurelius95
12-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Please, no need to take me as your hunting partner!

nell67
12-12-2007, 04:02 PM
They just trap us and give us a karate chop on the back of the neck. It hurts but you don't die from it.

Somehow,I think this was directed at me???:rolleyes:LMAO!

Rick
12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
No, directed at the man who wouldn't die. He just lives on and on and on in this forum.

Two Rivers
12-19-2007, 09:16 PM
I always thought a cross bow was a bow that got angry...you know..."cross"..."angry"...no?

I think its what the priest called the alter boy

Rick
12-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Yeah, an upset boyfriend. Dead on, 2 Rivers.

woodwose
12-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Now, let me get this straight... You tie this thing together and expect it to stay put together in the wilderness? not to mention in and out of a backpack... Maybe I missed something here... but I don't remember reading anything about glueing parts together or screwing them together.... clamps anyone? My shoes come undone sometimes.. I don't trust anything that holds something sharp and is tied together. Let's see, you have to put the bolt under the loop each time you load the crossbow? Probably have to tighten the loop after awhile too.

Now, I haven't tried this contraption out .. I'll admit that.. but it sure looks like it is jerry rigged to me. What about when you put feathers on the back side of the bolt (arrow)? will they clear the loop?

Rick
12-20-2007, 08:25 PM
You have to put the feathers on BEFORE you fire the bolt Woodwose. You'd have to be pretty quick and nimble to glue 'em on after you fire 'em.

woodwose
12-20-2007, 08:41 PM
You have to put the feathers on BEFORE you fire the bolt Woodwose. You'd have to be pretty quick and nimble to glue 'em on after you fire 'em.

Hmmmm, "What about when you put feathers on the back side of the bolt (arrow)? will they clear the loop?"

I assumed that them thar faythars was on that thar bolt when you put it through the loop...knockin' em loose and then, when ya far the dang thing... it compleets the job o' knockin' em all the way off so thet they fall to the groun to grow more o' them thar faythars.. :D

Rick
12-20-2007, 09:01 PM
zactly! nuf sed!

Beo
12-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Are we talking about that crossbow kit in the begining? If so that is not one used for hunting game. Most crossbows have a draw weight between 150 and 200 pounds, those twigs tied together would kill a woodchuck, that is not... I repeat... that is not... for use hunting game small or large. Read the first couple of blocks and it says "JUST FOR FUN" :D

FVR
12-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Don 't think so, woodchucks are pretty tough. Been known to take an arrow down a hole with them, or bend and break it trying.

Maybe a woodcock, but then you'd have to hit the darn things. They're hard with a shotgun.

How bout a woodpecker, don't know, down here in Georgia there are some pretty big woodpeckers, they don't tap, tap, tap on trees but rather bang, bang, bang on trees. Ga woodpecker may just take the crossbow and slap you with it.

Wood duck, naaaaa, again hitting them is the hard part.

Maybe a woodjen.

Beo
12-21-2007, 08:41 PM
those twigs tied together would kill a woodchuck,
Dang, i meant would not kill a woodchuck.

Rick
12-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Frank, would a tin can work? You COULD hit a tin can couldn't you?

FVR
12-21-2007, 11:54 PM
With that crossbow, couldn't hit the side of a barn. I'll stick with snares and an atlatl.

Well, unless it's a can of beer, I can hit that beer.

Rick
12-21-2007, 11:54 PM
You da man!

Tony uk
12-22-2007, 12:00 AM
With that crossbow, couldn't hit the side of a barn. I'll stick with snares and an atlatl.

Well, unless it's a can of beer, I can hit that beer.

What if the ber is non-alcoholic bad tasteing walmart brand 1 cent per can cheapo knock-of-nigel stuff ?

Rick
12-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Beer is beer. I remember, oh about 16 or 17 years old, Old Stag, PBR, Schiltz, Old Mil, Shopwell Premium, Schnaifer, Premium ABC just to name a few. (I mean, who names their beer ABC?) Some of it might have even been worse that the 1 cent per can cheapo knock-off-nigel stuff. You could almost fill your cigarette lighter with some of it. Lord knows the next morning saw blue flames. :D

Tony uk
12-22-2007, 12:28 AM
That sounds like what we call Asda Price stuff (The supermarkets own brand that they sell made from..............HELL KNOWS, Gasoline probily) also we have Buckfast, purposely designed to get you drunk

Rick
12-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Oh, man. I laughed out loud. That was pretty good and way too close to the truth. I had an uncle that was an ex-Marine and ex-Army. Served in the Pacific (Marines) and in Korea (Army) and would drink anything. I mean anything. Hair tonic, after shave, anything. If the ingredients said Alco...that was as far as he read. The bottom got tipped on the spot. God rest his soul.

canid
12-28-2007, 09:54 PM
yeah that crosbow would not be sufficient to confuse a chickadee. as designed in the link, it is not meant to be fletched, is not decently powered and is pictured with a blunt bolt. i doubt it has the power to seriously stun anything over a few Oz. at a few feet.

i would recomend a field expedient self-bow of at least 45lb draw if i where going to recomend a home-made bow at all. bowhunting is a serious art, and bowyering is generaly a highly skilled endeavor. even a diy selfbow for hare would require practice to make and will grneraly require a supprizingly high draw weight to get a decent cast from inferior materials which you might not have the time to prepare, dry, etc.

for most large game, bowhunting requires superb stalking skills to achieve the ranges required for reliable take. for small game, a suitable bow is not unrealistic, or even all that dificult with a little practice, but is not practical for most people. a cross-bow is less so. this is just my take.

the problem with a crosbow improvised from natural materials is that you must first improvise a servicable bow, then improvise a stock with a safe and reliable trigger mechanism and then reliably attatch the two. unless you are physicaly unable to draw and hold a bow of suitable weight, it is making an already challenging project more involved and complicated.

trigger mechanisms aren't all that hard to figure out but what will you make them from? home crosbow design is probably better suited to hobby than survival.

please don't take this too criticaly, it's just my advice and experience.

Sarge47
12-28-2007, 10:49 PM
(R. Lee Ermy voice) "Welcome Canid, Now get your scrawny back-side over to the "introductions" thread and tell us a bit about yourself or you can drop and give me 20...Morels that is!:rolleyes: (BTW, like your signature.:D)

FVR
12-28-2007, 11:05 PM
if i where going to recomend a home-made bow at all. bowhunting is a serious art, and bowyering is generaly a highly skilled endeavor. even a diy selfbow for hare would require practice to make and will grneraly require a supprizingly high draw weight to get a decent cast from inferior materials which you might not have the time to prepare, dry, etc.

for most large game, bowhunting requires superb stalking skills to achieve the ranges required for reliable take. for small game, a suitable bow is not unrealistic, or even all that dificult with a little practice, but is not practical for most people.

Grasshopper, must build bows to make a statement like that. It's correct.