PDA

View Full Version : What are you cooking today and how?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

pete lynch
07-14-2018, 05:29 AM
When I was a young Sailor making oh so much money............I lived on Kraft Mac and Cheese - 15 cents a box.

But that not really mac and cheese is it? It's more like mac and cheese whiz. Not that there anything wrong with cheese whiz except for ruining a perfectly good cheesesteak with it. But that's a Philly thing as far as I know.
I was spoiled at a young age by the family women folk who competed with one another to make the best macaroni and cheese dish. At least it seemed that way to me.
I still do ramen but I like the Yakasobo noodles with the veg and flavor packs.
To return to the OT I may make some chili tonight.
I will now crawl back underneath my rock. :chef:

shaner
07-15-2018, 07:31 AM
Oh yeah the boxed mac&cheese. Aldi has it for$ .33 a box .that powdered cheese still makes me wonder lol
But that not really mac and cheese is it? It's more like mac and cheese whiz. Not that there anything wrong with cheese whiz except for ruining a perfectly good cheesesteak with it. But that's a Philly thing as far as I know.
I was spoiled at a young age by the family women folk who competed with one another to make the best macaroni and cheese dish. At least it seemed that way to me.
I still do ramen but I like the Yakasobo noodles with the veg and flavor packs.
To return to the OT I may make some chili tonight.
I will now crawl back underneath my rock. :chef:

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Rick
07-15-2018, 03:30 PM
The good news is if you get a case of foot fungus you can always use it to sprinkle on your foot. :wacko:

crashdive123
07-16-2018, 06:09 AM
The good news is if you get a case of foot fungus you can always use it to sprinkle on your foot. :wacko:

Works the same for your kid's diaper rash.

It is a good idea to sprinkle it before water is added and cooked, other wise it gets a wee bit messy.

Rick
07-16-2018, 08:06 AM
I've changed a LOT of messy diapers thank you. Mack and cheese would have a breeze to clean up. I was the puke guy at our house. My wife was the diaper gal. We each have our strengths and weaknesses in this life.

madmax
07-16-2018, 08:14 AM
How did this thread go from food to dirty diapers and vomit? I guess not having kids makes me a little ignorant. I have never and will never change a dirty diaper...

...I gave up Kraft mac and cheese but still love Ramen noodles.

rebel
07-16-2018, 12:45 PM
I often add something to the Mac & cheese. Ham, hamburger, bacon or tuna. One Irish pub in Boston had it with lobster. The wife adds other cheeses and then broils it for a firm top. Good stuff!

Rick
07-16-2018, 02:43 PM
You just ain't old enough yet, madmax. Give a few years.

crashdive123
07-17-2018, 05:55 AM
How did this thread go from food to dirty diapers and vomit? I guess not having kids makes me a little ignorant. I have never and will never change a dirty diaper...

...I gave up Kraft mac and cheese but still love Ramen noodles.

You just ain't old enough yet, madmax. Give a few years.

I was going to say the same thing. In a few years you may be changing your own.

2dumb2kwit
07-21-2018, 09:40 AM
I was going to say the same thing. In a few years you may be changing your own.

Rick changing his own diapers.........snort, chuckle. LOL

2dumb2kwit
07-21-2018, 09:41 AM
....and every now and then, I get a taste for Kraft mac and cheese. I actually like the powdered cheese. Hahaha.

Rick
07-21-2018, 07:42 PM
I'm not old enough for Medicare so I have to change my own....for now. But you just wait. I get on Medicare I'm gone have me a home care nurse that will do that for me. Oh, Nurse Nurse.

madmax
07-22-2018, 06:43 AM
I'm at the age where I look at someone my age and say, "Man, that guy's old."

Sweet denial.

Rick
07-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Yeah, that's right after the age when some young lady says, "sir", and you look around to see who she's talking to...only to find out it's you.

Heartbreaking.

madmax
07-22-2018, 04:53 PM
We're eating fajitas. And they are mouth wateringly good. Mmmmmmmm.

Jasonet
08-16-2018, 11:41 AM
It's mashed potatoes and green peas for us.

Jacky58
09-15-2018, 06:12 AM
I love the cooking but don't like to clean the kitchen after cooking
And my Vacuum is not good enough
looking for the best Floor Cleaner kindly let me know if you have any or have knowledge about that or direct to any valuable source to get an idea about best vacuum cleaner for home.

crashdive123
09-15-2018, 07:02 AM
Seriously?................If you edit your post with some vacuum cleaners from the Netherlands........well, just don't.

2dumb2kwit
12-21-2018, 08:39 PM
I love the cooking but don't like to clean the kitchen after cooking
And my Vacuum is not good enough
looking for the best Floor Cleaner kindly let me know if you have any or have knowledge about that or direct to any valuable source to get an idea about best vacuum cleaner for home.

To clean up a cooking mess, you need a good dog. (Snicker, snicker.)

Rick
12-21-2018, 08:41 PM
Or mule...just sayin'. Where have you been?

rebel
05-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Smoked fish dip:

I’ve done this recipe a couple of times and folks like it. I used salmon but mullet would be good too.

5-6 oz smoked fish flaked
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 lemon juiced
3/4 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 tsp dry dill weed
Hot sauce to taste

Mix it up and grab some crackers.

http://www.biscuitsandburlap.com/2017/10/17/smoked-fish-dip/

Roman878
05-24-2019, 02:25 AM
I will cook the chicken karahi.

oldsoldier
05-24-2019, 04:33 PM
A little later when it cools off a bit, Grilling chicken Kabobs, Ribeye steaks, asparagus wrapped in Jalepeno bacon, corn on the cob, baked potatoes. Gonna cheat and do a peach cobbler in the oven with my dutch oven.

nell67
05-27-2019, 04:00 PM
two racks of baby back ribs, baked beans, seasoned baby yellow potatoes, smoked sausage, hot dogs for the grand kids, deviled eggs, chocolate cupcakes and ice cold watermelon.
followed by the grandkids having a water fight to burn off the two cupcakes each they had.

rebel
05-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Just put up some corn. Getting ready to have some.

Fixit
11-13-2019, 02:23 PM
I love food weather . Pork bellies and beaf brisket that have been formed and dry rubber just went in the smokehouse . Bacon and pastrami will be coming out.😊

Fixit
11-14-2019, 05:09 PM
So cold became food and run became rubber. Oh let's not forget corned was changed to formed.

Fixit
11-14-2019, 05:11 PM
Rubbed the be an run alli enjoyed say is growl grumble grumble

Rick
11-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Oh, I knew that. Shoot, happens all the time.

rebel
02-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Dog food. Ground beef, pork, rice and mixed vegetables. One of our dogs blew out his knee and goes in for surgery this week. 11954

Rick
02-17-2020, 02:04 PM
See? That goes right back to the other thread. Now you'll have to carry him outside and wipe him. THAT'S why I don't have pets. Here, you need this...

https://cusscollar.com/

rebel
02-17-2020, 07:42 PM
Spaghetti for the boys (dogs) and l while watching The Godfather movie.

dommenic
03-19-2020, 04:41 PM
Eggs, Potatoes, Fish And Salad

crashdive123
03-19-2020, 08:47 PM
No you are not. You are cooking Spam.

HillGirl
03-25-2020, 12:08 PM
White corn flour Johnny cake...

rebel
04-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Made some biscuits from scratch. Guess that makes them “scratch biscuits”? IDK. I just followed a recipe that I found online.https://www.momontimeout.com/perfect-biscuits-every-time-recipe/ They taste good. 11985

madmax
04-20-2020, 07:03 PM
Still eating keto. Not impressed. Baked chicken thighs. Roasted garlic califlower and broccoli. One of the better dinners on the list.

Bernards
04-28-2020, 06:36 AM
I wanna' be a chef in my next life. :innocent:

Ha-ha! We usually have pasta, rice or potatoes this week, and as for the main course - shashlyk, chops or sausage :tt2:

Alan R McDaniel Jr
04-28-2020, 07:49 AM
Most days I say, "What's for supper?"

I get told...

I say, "That sounds Great!"

and I eat it.

#1 wife is a fantastic cook.

My expertise is burning meat on the grill.....

Alan

rebel
06-13-2020, 07:25 PM
Pepper juice for greens, cornbread, etc. 11998

rebel
08-21-2020, 06:50 PM
Home made hot pocket or calzone. Idk. I made the bready parts and grew the tomatoes for the sauce. Inside is mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, tomato sauce, mushroom, spinach and pepperoni.12004

madmax
08-21-2020, 07:27 PM
Grilled Mahi Mahi. Broiled garlic asparagus.

Kay
09-10-2020, 08:12 AM
Baked pork loin on the bone. Garnish with baked potatoes. Added spices, onions, garlic. Simple and very satisfying.

Michael aka Mac
06-13-2022, 01:05 PM
Well I am pretty sure no one is going to ask me for the recipe for this dinner from last night

But i made a Grilled chicken & Turkey Meatball & veggie parmesan that I had with a shirataki tofu pasta mixed with Spaghetti Squash with a tomato spaghetti sauce that I made that had sautéed yellow peppers, onions (with a tad of sugar substitute to take out the bitterness), white & portabella mushrooms, olive oil and white wine.

The main course was a layered casserole, a layer of thinly sliced grilled chicken (175 calories), a layer of sliced zucchini, layer of sliced Turkey meatballs (145 calories), a mixed layer of zucchini and portabella mushrooms and part skim mozzarella cheese then another layer of white mushrooms, mozzarella and parmesan cheese (200 calories more for a total 520-550 calories for 2 dinner portions).

The Shirataki angel hair tofu noodles are about 20 calories for 8 oz and the amount of spaghettis squashed used was another 25 calories

A surprising low carb, low calorie, low fat, low salt, and healthy alternative for a casserole.

Made by necessity, and not by choice, welcome to my life RUN AWAY AS FAST AS U CAN.

Rick
06-13-2022, 07:26 PM
Countless generations of manly men fighting their way to the top of the food chain, growing canine teeth, hair on their back, opposable thumbs, creating rocks to throw and learning to outrun slower (duh, tiger, yeah, them too) bipedals did not evolve to eat tofu. Seriously, tofu is used axel grease. They just tell you it comes from plants. Crap, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

DSJohnson
06-13-2022, 07:38 PM
Countless generations of manly men fighting their way to the top of the food chain, growing canine teeth, hair on their back, opposable thumbs, creating rocks to throw and learning to outrun slower (duh, tiger, yeah, them too) bipedals did not evolve to eat tofu. Seriously, tofu is used axel grease. They just tell you it comes from plants. Crap, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

No, Really Rick, please tell us how you feel about tofu. I would tell you to not hold back but I know better.

Rick
06-13-2022, 07:41 PM
I'm known for my calm demeanor and low key approach.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
06-13-2022, 08:04 PM
I am proud to say I have never even seen tofu in person much less put it in my mouth... There are no tofu seeds in the seed catalog and there is no tofu season. Therefore, tufu is not edible in it's tofucious form. If you want beans, cook beans and eat them and fart like a man. Don't milk them (can't even visualize how to do that) and let it rot before it is consumed...

Alan

Alan R McDaniel Jr
06-13-2022, 08:09 PM
The other day, #1 wife (who is always trying to get me to be healthy even though I am in perfect health) said, "If you grind up cauliflower and (do some other stuff to it), form it into a patty, it tastes just like hamburger".

I put on my best "You've got to me kidding" face and said, "No, it won't, and I will never know for sure, but it won't".

I like cauliflower and I like hamburgers, and cauliflower is cauliflower and hamburger is hamburger, and never the twain shalt meet.

Alan

DSJohnson
06-13-2022, 11:41 PM
Speaking of hamburger....We had hamburger steak for supper. Boiled red potatoes, smashed then fried in butter. grilled onions and hamburger steak. We butchered a steer about 3 months ago and have been enjoying the fruits of that labor ever since. We divided that steer among 5 families. We mostly ended up with the good stuff the kids and grandkids did not want. The liver, kidney, heart, tongue, neck bones, sweetmeat, and one roast and 5 pounds of hamburger. I still have a lot of the lamb, elk, deer and pig i the freezer so it worked out well.

Rick
06-14-2022, 06:52 AM
"And never the twain shall meet". Mark felt the same way apparently. He seemed to use that saying a lot.

Yes, DSJohnson, THAT is what I'm talkin' 'bout right there. Manly stuff. Do you suppose vegetarians know vegie burgers are fried in lard?

Michael aka Mac
06-14-2022, 10:02 AM
Like I said, I doubt anyone was going to want that tofu noodle recipe lol.

Last night on the other hand, i swayed off my 'doc's' dietary meal plan, and had a Jamaican Beef patty, rice pilaf w/ veggies and cheese, a salad, and a cup of Café du Monde Coffee and some grapes and cheese for appetizers while drinking a glass of Chardonnay.

rebel
07-09-2023, 01:39 AM
For my birthday my wife has given me a grinder and sausage stuffer. So far,from the thousands of recipes I have made a batch of brats and beef sticks.

crashdive123
07-09-2023, 06:03 AM
Nice! And Happy Birthday!!

Rick
07-09-2023, 06:27 AM
Ummm. Don't use those together unless that's a meat grinder. Angle grinders will fling meat all over the kitchen. Don't ask me how I know. Happy Birthday.

Michael aka Mac
09-14-2023, 09:57 AM
I just tried for the 1st time RAO's Arrabbiata pasta sauce. I was hesitant to buy it due to it being rather pricey, but it went on sale and to my surprise it is the best store bought pasta sauce I have ever have had, so I thought I would mention it here for others to hear about it.

RE previous post, I too have a meat grinder but do not have the sausage attachment for it. I find it to be a tad easier though to use a professional grade food processor for grinding meat.

Rick
09-15-2023, 07:31 AM
Back in the day, mom used a hand crank meat grinder that attached to the countertop. It had different plates for different grinds. Mom used it a lot. Mostly for beef but she ran other stuff through it as well. I still have it. Like you, I use a food processor. I guess the reason we invent things is to make life easier. You can still purchase the hand models and they still get the job done.

crashdive123
09-15-2023, 10:53 AM
Some people say that using the hand crank style grinder gives them satisfaction. I don't know who these people are. Eating the sausage is what gives me satisfaction.

Rick
09-15-2023, 03:29 PM
And gas. There is that. That's why there's no bugs or mice in the server room.

Alan R McDaniel Jr
09-15-2023, 07:14 PM
I made a lot of sausage with a hand crank grinder. I rigged a belt to a variable speed drill wit a foot pedal control and made a lot more. Then one day I got a $350 grinder/suffer from Cabela's and never made another link... My sons have used it to make some but I haven't.

Alan

Batch
09-16-2023, 10:55 AM
I had 2 hand crank grinders that were given to me. One was in a storage bin in the garage. Also, in that bin was a vertical sausage stuffer, electric meat grinder and various other meat processing tools. My wife's cousin was working in the garage on my UTV. He put the bin on my trailer. After taking the lid off. Forgot about it and let it get a bunch of rain water in it. And, then left the water in the bin, put the lid back and left it to sit for like 18 months.

So, I am looking to replace those things. I just did a packer brisket and a pork butt for my daughters birthday and the brisket trimmings were wasted. I put them in the fridge with the intent of grinding them for burger. Then never got to grinding. I have just been rendering the fat to tallow.

Never thought of trying a food processor. I have a Ninja Blender with all of the attachments. We have been looking at the all metal Kitchen-aide 5 or 6 quart mixers. The all metal meat grinder might be ok. I don't know.

Rick
09-17-2023, 11:28 AM
Batch, if it is rusty, get some Evapo-rust. It's expensive but it can be used over and over. The stuff words wonders.

chiggersngrits
09-17-2023, 09:01 PM
Batch, if it is rusty, get some Evapo-rust. It's expensive but it can be used over and over. The stuff words wonders.

I recently cleaned up a rusty motorcycle gas tank. I watched probably a hundred videos on different ways to do it. Evapo-rust, vinegar and electrolysis seemed to be the most popular. I went with vinegar because it was cheap. Filled tank with vinegar let sit for 24 hours. Drain, refilled with fresh vinegar, let sit for 12 hours. Drain, rinsed with baking soda and water. Then dried using a heat gun and then coated with Marvel mystery oil. It came out looking brand new on the inside. I poured the dirty vinegar were the curb meets the street to kill the grass instead of using Round up and it worked great.

Roel
09-21-2023, 06:08 AM
Today we have small meatballs on the table, Indonesian style. With a simple salad with cherry tomatos, hard boiled eggs, Greek Feta and a little bit of majonnaise.

Batch
09-30-2023, 08:44 PM
I made a Wagu Picanha I cut into 1.5" steaks. Smoked them to 110 to 130 and then flame seared them at 550. Roasted vegetables and whole mashed potatoes with irish salted butter. Obviously not A5 wagu. And while it was good. I think the prime picanha I have in the freezer is going to be better.

kyratshooter
10-01-2023, 01:53 AM
Today I had a can of pork and beans with a can of Vienna sausages all mixed up in a Tuperware bowl and eaten cold right out of the fridge.

Welcome to the real world.

Batch
10-01-2023, 06:51 PM
Today I had a can of pork and beans with a can of Vienna sausages all mixed up in a Tuperware bowl and eaten cold right out of the fridge.

Welcome to the real world.

I appreciate the real world. But, if you are going to smoke and grill meat. A $40 Wagyu picanha that feeds 4-6 people and a nice piece for to dogs to boot. Isn't a lot.

The prime picanha is 30 something and if you buy choice you can get them for a little over $6 a pound here. For an awesome steak!

Right now I am on hour 7 of a beef cheek cook. Apple and hickory for a little over four hours and then I have been confeeing for a few hours in wagyu fat. Which I recovered. So, I lost no tallow other than what was on the bark. The cheek was like 8 bucks and will feed 3 and provide lunch for me tomorrow.

Roel
10-03-2023, 08:43 AM
Zucchini, peeling and boiling 15 min. Than cut lengthwise in two. Remove the seeds. Filling up with sun dried tomato's, layers of bacon en on top some spicy cheese.
Than about 15 minutes in the oven at 390 F.
Enjoy!

shaner
10-03-2023, 11:31 AM
Zucchini, peeling and boiling 15 min. Than cut lengthwise in two. Remove the seeds. Filling up with sun dried tomato's, layers of bacon en on top some spicy cheese.
Than about 15 minutes in the oven at 390 F.
Enjoy!That sounds great!

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Winnie
11-05-2023, 10:18 AM
I've got a pot of chilli cooking for supper tonight. There's enough for Tamale pie for another night. The weather has definitely turned autumnal over the last week or so. T shirt weather is behind us now.

jimLE
02-14-2024, 08:29 PM
I just made a pot of stew.ate a bowl of it.then I ate a bowl of strawberry ice cream for dessert.