PDA

View Full Version : firing a bow

WildGoth
11-27-2007, 06:33 PM
i have been looking at how to make old primative bows how do you fire them cause i looked and saw no notch in the bow for the arrow is the string a few inches futher then the wood anyone have any info on this

FVR
11-27-2007, 06:51 PM
You shoot off your knuckle.

If your fletching ends are not wrapped, you will cut your knuckle with the feather tips. If you like primary turkey feathers, chances are you will cut your knuckles and hand.

If you go to a trad. archery shoot, you can always tell the selfbow shooters, they have scars and cuts on their knuckles.

If you are referring to the brace height or the distance from the back of the bow to the string, they vary on the diff. styles of bows. The problem with a short or smaller brace height is that it will sometimes slap your forearm and back of your wrist. This hurts.

Arm slap is caused by a few diff. thangs, a short brace height will do it but many times it's because of your stance and how you are holding the bow.

WildGoth
11-28-2007, 02:08 AM
oh ok thanks fvr

bumblingoutback
12-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Arm slap is also caused when you are not strong enough for the bow you are using. I tried to wear a wrist guard to prevent this the last time I shot a bow and when I would take off the wrist guard it would slap my wrist, when I'd wear it it would slap my unguarded mid-forearm. 80 lb. bow is not for me, was the lesson I took from this.