PDA

View Full Version : Water in the winter

cyc79
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM

SARKY
03-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Since you are more than likely heating your house, have you thought about just melting snow in a pot? I'm sure there will be lots of it close by around the house.

cyc79
03-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Sourdough
03-03-2010, 01:47 PM
No shortage of snow but melting it is fairly time consuming for the small amount of water you get from it.It's also quite dirty at times with spruce/pine needles,bugs etc. Nor does it taste anywhere as good as fresh water.

It is strange how melted snow does NOT taste like water. Even melted pure, fresh, clean snow tastes strange.

My water comes from a creek that has a lot of fall. I use an old Axe to gain access.

For people who do not own water jugs, or need to buy more. the wide mouth jugs are easier to get water into and out of, there is a world of difference in the opening that is 1 1/2" wide vs. 2" wide. It also pours better as there is no airlock problem.

ClayPick
03-03-2010, 01:56 PM
An old powersaw with the chain oil drained works good to.

rwc1969
03-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Probably becuase it lacks oxygen and minerals. Tastes flat!

hunter63
03-03-2010, 01:57 PM
It is strange how melted snow does NOT taste like water. Even melted pure, fresh, clean snow tastes strange.

My water comes from a creek that has a lot of fall. I use an old Axe to gain access.

For people who do not own water jugs, or need to buy more. the wide mouth jugs are easier to get water into and out of, there is a world of difference in the opening that is 1 1/2" wide vs. 2" wide. It also pours better as there is no airlock problem.

I was just thinking the same thing.
Just need to keep the jugs inside so as they don't freeze.

preachtheWORD
03-03-2010, 01:58 PM

This has always made me wonder. During power outages I have had to boil down some snow, mostly for washing, but a little for drinking. Melted snow tastes oddly metalic to me.

cyc79
03-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I was just thinking the same thing.
Just need to keep the jugs inside so as they don't freeze.

I use two 5 gallon pails with lids & use a pot to fill them.

Rick
03-03-2010, 04:55 PM
RWC is right. It's the lack of oxygen. Give it a good shake and you'll notice an amazing difference in taste just by oxygenating it.

crashdive123
03-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Keep one of these handy.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/HumanPoweredMixer-TDG-GreenGourmet-fb-25551011.jpg

red lake
03-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Snow, like rain, lacks the minerals and drinking melted snow over a long period of time will have a adverse effect on your health.

Water still comes from the lake in winter, you just have to make a hole in the ice first.

Treating it is still required too as crypto... and giradia are still active in cold water as far as I know.

rwc1969
03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
RWC is right. It's the lack of oxygen. Give it a good shake and you'll notice an amazing difference in taste just by oxygenating it.

I was gonna say that, but I've never actually tried it. :blushing:

I heard that charcoal will replenish some of the minerals as well giving a more accustomed taste.

I know when we went from well to city water there was a huge difference in taste, not just the chlorine, but the water just didn't have the minerals I was used to drinking.

rwc1969
03-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Purified water, such as rain and snow that lacks minerals is more acidic. There are concerns that it may wear off the enamel of your teeth, but there are also theories that suggest it reduces or prevents kidney stones.

When I was in the water treatment biz many folks were against drinking pure reverse osmosis water because of the increased acidity and possible damage to their teeth, not to mention the lack of minerals and need to supplement them from some other source.

It was one of the biggest obstacles to overcome when selling an RO unit, besides getting them to sign.

Rick
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
One of the reasons you shake up a canteen after treating the water is to aerate it to improve the taste. Most think it's just to distribute whatever chemical your using to treat the water and that's true but it's also for the taste.

Rain water and snow will collect any airborne particulates they come in contact with. While they certainly won't have the level of mineralization that ground water will neither is like distilled water. Consuming it long term should have no ill effects. My grandfather collected rainwater off his house (shack) into a 50 gallon barrel. He had a well but used the barrel all summer long. Or as long as it rained.

Mountaintrekker
03-16-2010, 03:18 AM
We harvest snow on a regular basis as this home we are in this winter doesn't have a well. Very large icecicles from the metal roof are nice as they obviously contain more water. We just have a designated area for me and the dogs to pee. :cool2: Just have to make sure you don't eat any yellow snow!

crashdive123
03-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Mrs. Mountaintrekker: The water tastes funny. Did you pee in the "designated" area?

Mountaintrekker: I sure did! **looks over at dog**

Dog: Hey - don't look at me - I'm just a dog - I can't read that stupid sign!

Sourdough
03-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Mrs. Mountaintrekker: The water tastes funny. Did you pee in the "designated" area?

Just mix in some TANG Orange juice powder........:smash::smash::smash:

Rick
03-16-2010, 08:56 AM
That's very true. Especially if you use an iodine based chemical to treat your water.

ChudaJohn
03-17-2010, 05:48 PM
My lake is big and deep enough it doesn't need treating. I drink straight from the lake.

Rick
03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Size really doesn't have anything to do with it. Huge lakes can still contain cysts, protozoa, bacteria and viruses. In fact, the odds are pretty good that yours does. There are still quite a few sources of pure water around but not very much any more.

ChudaJohn
03-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Size really doesn't have anything to do with it. Huge lakes can still contain cysts, protozoa, bacteria and viruses. In fact, the odds are pretty good that yours does. There are still quite a few sources of pure water around but not very much any more.

I have been drinking straight out of it for 7 years and no problems and it tastes great.

Rick
03-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Have you ever been sick in the last 7 years? .... just sayin'

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your water. I'm just saying the size of the pond doesn't impact the purity.