what yall think about this...good buy?
mabye make it into a shoulder strap
http://www.prosurvivalkit.com/mube.html

trax
11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
It certainly works for Batman....:D

warman87
11-26-2007, 07:02 PM
well your gear would be on u all the time unless u lose your pants :)
the goal is to keep your gear as low key as possible this fits the bill if u ask me
i dont want to be harassed cuz i look like rambo lol

Sarge47
11-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I've already made one using 550 cord and the weave that is shown elsewhere on this forum for those cool bracelets.:cool:

trax
11-26-2007, 07:08 PM
LMAo.......good point

Rick
11-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't know. $30.00 bucks for a nylon belt seems a bit steep to me. I'm not certain about the practicality of it. Say you store your (what?) fishing line inside it. Then you take off your belt to go fishing, your pants fall down, some game warden walks by and the next thing you know you're either on a date you don't want to be on or you have a fine.

Seriously, you would have to remove your belt anytime you want whatever is in it. Just doesn't seem practical.

kid_couteau
11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi All

Depends on your point of view I guess

I usually put a paracord wrap around my Altoids tin kit to prevent easy access to it so when I need stuff it is there and I havent robbed it.

Later
Kid

FVR
11-26-2007, 10:38 PM
I have an old 3" leather belt that does the trick. Or, the red and black loomed sash works great also.

I try to do everything on the cheap. If I can't make it, I'm not trying hard enough.

Nativedude
11-27-2007, 12:50 AM
The plastic buckle would deter me from buying it. :eek:

I had one years ago that I made from 1 7/8" seat belt webbing and a steel slide-lock buckle. It was stitched with heavy duty nylon thread. It doubled as a rappelling belt, as well as, holding all my essential gear in pouches that mounted on the belt.

Now I have a 2" latigo leather belt with a steel buckle, and leather pouches that hold my gear! ;)

warman87
11-27-2007, 03:56 AM
I don't know. $30.00 bucks for a nylon belt seems a bit steep to me. I'm not certain about the practicality of it. Say you store your (what?) fishing line inside it. Then you take off your belt to go fishing, your pants fall down, some game warden walks by and the next thing you know you're either on a date you don't want to be on or you have a fine.

Seriously, you would have to remove your belt anytime you want whatever is in it. Just doesn't seem practical.

my point is not the price but the consept i was asking what you thought about the idea is it practial or not?
y would u take your pants off 2 fish unless you are fly fishing? and if so throw it over your shoulder so u dont loose it the point is can u think of a beter place to store your gear so it wont get lost? and all u have to do is spin it around your belt loops will stop any pouches from moving to far...ect

Rick
11-27-2007, 08:32 AM
This is a tough audience. All my jokes fall flat. Then again, it could be me....naw....

Price for usefullness is a consideration in my book. As I indicated in my last line above, if you have to take it off to access your contents, I don't think that's practical (my opinion). If you're injured, it might be hard to get off is my thinking. It has a zippered compartment so it looks like it has to be removed. You are going to be limited (I think) by the size of your belt loops. As you add stuff inside the belt, it is going to get thicker, which could pose a problem with your belt loops.

Re: Your question on where I store my survival stuff. I use a Pelican 1010 to store my stuff. Some use Altoid tins. Some use bags. Whatever you're comfortable with, I guess. I like things that have multiple uses. Altoid tins certainly do. In my case I traded the multiple uses for crushproof and waterproof, which was important to me.

And looky at Sarge, Mr. Avatar man. Good going!

Canadian-guerilla
11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
$30 seems a bit much for a belt

" this belt is perfect for a small survival kit, a first-aid kit, money, or whatever "

the sales pitch sounds good
but it all depends on what you want to carry
try a fanny pack (http://www.bagking.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=BagKing/PROD/11-03/FNGS)

Beo
11-28-2007, 12:00 PM
fanny (f*g) pack works better, but I just carry a snapsnack and possibles bag then I don't have a bunch of crap around my waist.

Rick
11-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Why couldn't a guy (gal) weave a belt like Sarge was talkin' about and weave survival stuff into it? I was thinkin' you could take some hooks and place some small heat shrink or similar material over the point to keep it from biting you, take some leader and shot and stick all that inside a larger tube of heat shrink. Seal the end then weave it into the 550 cord belt. I suppose you could use leather or some other kind of material. You'd have everything you need to fish with in an emergency situation and for a lot less than $30. You could even weave in some snare wire (brass wire). The only reason I thought about the tube of heat shrink was to keep everything together. What are your thoughts?

Sarge47
11-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Why couldn't a guy (gal) weave a belt like Sarge was talkin' about and weave survival stuff into it? I was thinkin' you could take some hooks and place some small heat shrink or similar material over the point to keep it from biting you, take some leader and shot and stick all that inside a larger tube of heat shrink. Seal the end then weave it into the 550 cord belt. I suppose you could use leather or some other kind of material. You'd have everything you need to fish with in an emergency situation and for a lot less than $30. You could even weave in some snare wire (brass wire). The only reason I thought about the tube of heat shrink was to keep everything together. What are your thoughts?

Great idea, Rick! I did something like that with a necklace based on "98.6". Besides, as you've posted elsewhere, making your own stuff is really cool. At least you'll know the quality!:cool:

woodwose
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
what yall think about this...good buy?
mabye make it into a shoulder strap
http://www.prosurvivalkit.com/mube.html

Hmm, I didn't read all the posts to this thread but I know you can go cheaper by making it yourself..even with the zipper money pouch. Get the supplies for it from an army surplus store, and access to a good industrial sewing machine would do the trick. Those buckles are in varied form from the same army surplus store.. I wouldn't spend $25.00 on it though. If the company that made them has indeed gone out of business.. Where do you go for a replacement/repair when or if it starts to wear out?

woodwose
11-28-2007, 07:28 PM
I've already made one using 550 cord and the weave that is shown elsewhere on this forum for those cool bracelets.:cool:

Where is elsewhere, Sarge?? :D

Sarge47
11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Where is elsewhere, Sarge?? :D

Can't find the post, but I "bookmarked" the page; here it is. You can thank "Survivalhike" for this one!:cool:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord-bracelet-with-a-side-release-buckle/

Rick
11-28-2007, 08:56 PM
I've actually yacked with StormDrane about a 550 cord religious cross that he made. Mine turned out pretty good if I do say so. The guy is insanely good when it comes to weaving and braiding cord. Makes his own tools, etc. for it. Has my respect. Here's his blog. He's the one that posted the instructables Sarge posted.

http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

Be sure to scroll down and check out his boony hat.

The bible for that kind of work is "The Ashley Book of Knots" by Clifford W. Ashley. It's about $54.00 bucks but it has over 4000 knots in it. I think I may be on number 4. A couple more to go.

I'm re-thinking Warman's whole survival belt thing. I'm beginning to think it might not be a bad idea but it's something I'm going to have to build myself. More to come on this for sure.

Sarge47
11-28-2007, 09:02 PM
I've actually yacked with StormDrane about a 550 cord religious cross that he made. Mine turned out pretty good if I do say so. The guy is insanely good when it comes to weaving and braiding cord. Makes his own tools, etc. for it. Has my respect. Here's his blog. He's the one that posted the instructables Sarge posted.

http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

Be sure to scroll down and check out his boony hat.

The bible for that kind of work is "The Ashley Book of Knots" by Clifford W. Ashley. It's about $54.00 bucks but it has over 4000 knots in it. I think I may be on number 4. A couple more to go.

I'm re-thinking Warman's whole survival belt thing. I'm beginning to think it might not be a bad idea but it's something I'm going to have to build myself. More to come on this for sure.

This guy sure knows his stuff! I bookmarked his Blog site!:cool:

Rick
11-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm tellin' you. This guy is a God in the braiding world. I've done braiding for a while now and there are LOTS of folks I consider good that turn to him. And it's only a hobby for him! Just for fun and doesn't mind helping other folks as long as they've read his instructions first.

FVR
11-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Here are my survival belts.

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/MVC-040S2.jpg

Bit more primitive.

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/MVC-041S2.jpg

Rick
11-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Well, the belt is done. I was able to incorporate two lengths of brass wire and three fishing hooks with leaders into the weave and I used a carabiner for a buckle. I took a bunch of pictures so I'll try to put together a tutorial over the next couple of days. I may try and use the instructables page so I don't burn Chris's bandwidth.

My impression is if you want to carry a lot of paracord then this isn't a bad idea. It's a bit cumbersome in making because of the amount of cord you have to use and you sort of feel like a spider starting out (it's a visual thing. cord wrapped around you, never mind). If you already carry what you need or if 550 cord isn't a concern for you then the belt warman posted above might also be a good idea.

Warman - Mea Culpa!

Rick
11-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Uh, FVR, is it just me or is that fancy shootin' iron on there bass ackwards?

FVR
11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Rick, Rick, Rick, it's a Slim Jim cross draw. Comes out faster and with less movement that way.

Rick
11-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Like I said.

FVR
11-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Just do'n my own thing. Never been much for following what others do, like to find what works for me.