PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Foods.

Bladesypher
11-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Has anyone got any advice on smoking meats? I normally use nuts and dried fruits... How long do you have to smoke venison for?

MCBushbaby
11-26-2007, 03:52 PM
You can smoke in a variety of ways so I won't get into that. But there are some things that must be done to ensure edibility:

1) Before you smoke, remove ALL gristle and/or fat. You want the leanest pieces of meat only.
2) Whether before or after, make sure to boil your meat pieces for a minute or two to ensure the internal temperature reaches greater than 160F.
3) Never use resinous wood (pine, etc) to create smoke from.

nell67
11-26-2007, 07:22 PM
There is another thread on smoking/curing foods elsewhere on the forum that has some great info,just do a search for curing meats and you should find it.

Smok
02-04-2008, 02:45 AM
Bladesypher... is it just deer meat you are smoking or fish if it is fish there is a GREAT book out that I can not find right now if you are interested in fish I will find it for you

BatCat
02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Here's a pretty neat link, not just for preserving meat but other homesteading skills as well

http://waltonfeed.com/old/index.html

BatCat

Rick
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=314&highlight=smoking

Sam
02-06-2008, 11:52 PM
The Backwoods Man Magazine has a lot of information on primitive living, do it yourself stuff and the like. Give them a try.

trooper
02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I have done this with my dad, after cleaning the meat of all the gooy stuff (fat and such) we cut it up and then boiled it whle we made a teepee type smoker and then hung the meat inside with a hickory fire burning under in the center, the fire was in a pit and about two feet below the meat, the smokehole was small to allow a build of the smoke, we smoked it for about 3 or 4 hours. It was real good when we ate it.

MedicineWolf
02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I taught your old man that, ask him about spear fishing... now that is funny story, and he's pretty good at it.