PDA

View Full Version : On Ice

klkak
02-28-2010, 02:20 AM
I woke up at 0530. At 0800, I introduced myself to the clients. 1000, myself, the boss and 10 clients set off on a winter snowmachine adventure up the Yetna river. 1140, I was riding in the back of the line when the machine in front of me stopped. I pulled up and asked what was up. The client said the thing just quit. I told him to take my snowmachine and catch up with the others and tell them there was a "break down". 1800, The boss and the clients return and tow me back to Deshka landing.

Know what its like to sit on the "ice" in 5 degree weather for 5 hours. Guess what my inner feelings about the boss was until I found out that "the" client didn't tell the boss I was broke down. He told him I'd be along.:drool:

Justin Case
02-28-2010, 04:19 AM
I am surprised you Boss believed "You would be along" ? Or do you have a habit of disappearing for hours instead of following clients ? no Radios ?

Rick
02-28-2010, 08:46 AM
I would suggest some 2 way radios. Either that or pin a note to the client's jacket like you would any 5 year old.

crashdive123
02-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Could have been worse. The client didn't run over any body parts.

Did you transfer your gear to the broken snow machine?

Ole WV Coot
02-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I would suggest some 2 way radios. Either that or pin a note to the client's jacket like you would any 5 year old.

Pin the note with something sharp and pointy so your boss would notice the blood. I think I would be forced to speak "harshly" to the client and have a word with my boss:innocent:

Ken
02-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Thank you for posting this, Kevin. You know how much I despise cold weather, right? :cold:

I'll remember this thread the next time I sit in court all day waiting for the judge to come on the bench. http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:66h4u1bDaMasFM:http://www.freewebby.com/smiley-face/smiley-face-clock.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.freewebby.com/smiley-face/smiley-face-clock.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.freewebby.com/smiley-faces/&usg=__kC6MUT66CBwKwnzcH7Cux2FFgs0=&h=275&w=275&sz=18&hl=en&start=1&itbs=1&tbnid=66h4u1bDaMasFM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dclock%2Bsmiley%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26g bv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1)

gryffynklm
02-28-2010, 10:34 AM
What coot said.

Rick
02-28-2010, 12:49 PM
pin a note to the client's jacket like you would any 5 year old

Pin the note with something sharp and pointy so your boss would notice the blood.

Man, Coot, you are tough on 5 year olds!!!!!!!!

klkak
02-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Could have been worse. The client didn't run over any body parts.

Did you transfer your gear to the broken snow machine?

If I'd have transfered my gear it wouldn't been so troubling.

DOGMAN
02-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Although it would have sucked to be in your boots all day...I understand the situation. Personally, as an outfitter. If I was doing an out and back trail, I might have left you there as well....depending on how long the clients and I would be out, and depending on the forecast and current weather conditons.

My first priority on outings of this nature are the clients...they pay good money for a tour, not a gear repair or towing seminar. Outfitting/guiding businesses are built on the clients getting what they paid for and having a good time. Referalls and Word of mouth stuff is awesome when things go well...but, you can't build a successful business with the reputation of having faulty equipment. I figure my guides have the training, knowledge, gear and experience to get through such situations. I would leave Kevin behind in a heartbeat for a few hours...because he is a true Alaskan wilderness guide and badass. I show my clients a good time, then pick-up the pieces later....thats just the way it is.

Of course, if it was 30 below, forecast of a blizzard, or we weren't going to becoming back on the same trail, i would have gone back.

DOGMAN
02-28-2010, 11:52 PM
About radios...I have worked for lots of outfitters in several states, in some pretty remote spots, doing wilderness trips up to 10 days long and I have only worked for two companies that ever used radio's and one that had sat phones. Although you would think they'd be standard equipment...they're not.

klkak
03-01-2010, 02:32 AM
I carry a Sat-phone but radio's are more trouble then they are worth.

Rick
03-01-2010, 08:33 AM
A sat phone? Why didn't you just order a pizza and catch a ride back with the delivery driver?

klkak
03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Although it would have sucked to be in your boots all day...I understand the situation. Personally, as an outfitter. If I was doing an out and back trail, I might have left you there as well....depending on how long the clients and I would be out, and depending on the forecast and current weather conditons.

My first priority on outings of this nature are the clients...they pay good money for a tour, not a gear repair or towing seminar. Outfitting/guiding businesses are built on the clients getting what they paid for and having a good time. Referalls and Word of mouth stuff is awesome when things go well...but, you can't build a successful business with the reputation of having faulty equipment. I figure my guides have the training, knowledge, gear and experience to get through such situations. I would leave Kevin behind in a heartbeat for a few hours...because he is a true Alaskan wilderness guide and badass. I show my clients a good time, then pick-up the pieces later....thats just the way it is.

Of course, if it was 30 below, forecast of a blizzard, or we weren't going to becoming back on the same trail, i would have gone back.

Jason you make a very good point. When I'm leading a tour and someone comes up missing I stop and find out what happened to include parking the clients in a safe place and backtracking. But then I wasn't a client and my boss said he was concerned but was confident I would be ok. I was more then prepared to hang out until the group returned and I know my boss knew this. It was just cold. When I said I left my gear on the machine I told the client to take, I didn't mean all my gear. I had my vest on. I just didn't have my tool kit or the Sat-phone. It just sucked to be stranded and left behind.

klkak
03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
A sat phone? Why didn't you just order a pizza and catch a ride back with the delivery driver?

The Sat-phone was on the machine I sent with the client.:blushing:

lucznik
03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
radio's are more trouble then they are worth.

I'm curious; why is this?

tipacanoe
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I sure hope the problem wasn't the kill switch. This happened to me once ice fishing, my sled just stopped running, couldn't get it started. When we finally got home thanks to several people helping us back the the trailer and getting it loaded, I was looking at it on the trailer in the back yard and of course the kill switch was just at eye level. It started just as soon as I turned the switch after pulling the kill switch up. I was embarrassed, but hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

klkak
03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I sure hope the problem wasn't the kill switch. This happened to me once ice fishing, my sled just stopped running, couldn't get it started. When we finally got home thanks to several people helping us back the the trailer and getting it loaded, I was looking at it on the trailer in the back yard and of course the kill switch was just at eye level. It started just as soon as I turned the switch after pulling the kill switch up. I was embarrassed, but hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

That was the first thing I checked.