PDA

View Full Version : Making Charcloth

Bladesypher
11-25-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm gonna try making some char cloth. But I'm not sure how to do it... I think:

Put some cotton in a tin with a small hole in and put it in the fire until it stops smoking, then take it out and wait for it to cool before opening the tin.

I heard its very effective for holding embers. Would you use it? And how hard is it to extinquish?

FVR
11-25-2007, 09:51 AM
That's how it's done. Making a fire with flint and steel, char works great. But, there are other substances you can use to catch a spark. Punk wood or really rotted dry wood works good.

NorthWindTrails
11-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Bladesypher ... The process I use allows you to peel a section at a time for use. If you have the tin container from shoe or boot polish, there should be an opener twist lever already on the can. As well as the process you describe (yes, this works quite well ... ), I also use old t-shirt material cut into squares and stacked in the tin. This will give you a pile of char cloth that can be divided for use as you need it. A simple sparking rod will put enough hot sparks on this to set it glowing. Lightly blowing on this glow makes a VERY hot heat source. I use dry pine needles (dry leaves also work well ... ) and set them on top of the cloth. The key is to have already built your firewood structure, and to have a way to set it quickly into the wood. I agree with FVR, try experimenting with other natural fibers in your char-tin. Pith from different plants as well as fibers will char nicely and catch a spark. Hope this helps! NorthWind

MCBushbaby
11-25-2007, 03:53 PM
That's how it's done. Making a fire with flint and steel, char works great. But, there are other substances you can use to catch a spark. Punk wood or really rotted dry wood works good.

You forgot tinder fungus and horse hoof

Nativedude
11-26-2007, 12:44 AM
I've made char cloth by wrapping it in heavy duty aluminum foil and putting it in the coals/embers. Just leave a little opening in one end for the smoke to escape. ;)

MedicineWolf
11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Moss is natures char cloth, as is dry leaves, and cattail fluff :D

Bladesypher
11-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Do you have to dry the moss before using it to hold embers?

Nativedude
11-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Do you have to dry the moss before using it to hold embers?

The moss has to be dry to ignite, just as any other tinder must be dry.

Bladesypher
11-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Yes, but to hold embers without igniting?

nell67
11-27-2007, 04:14 AM
you would have to restrict the amount of oxygen to it,until you are ready for it to ignite.