PDA

View Full Version : Knifemaker Eyes

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Well I got a bit of steel in my eyes the other day...wasn't long and it was out, not really a big deal. Well I went to use the grinder again last night and says to myself...better wear Safety Glasses and I did. Well the grinder through a curveball and somehow more steel in my eye. I am headed to the doc after almost 24 hours of some pretty good pain! Guess it is goggles for me from now on! Be safe!

Ken
02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Sorry to hear that, Cowboy. Eye injuries sure can be painful.

I rip my cornea about every two years. Always seems to be snow on the ground or bright sunlight when I do it. Nothing like bright light to make you feel like someone's stabbing you in the eye.

Ever think about using a grinder shield?

Camp10
02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
I hope the eye isnt to bad! I use a face shield rather than goggles because it doesnt fog up on me, It is a good reminder.

Ken
02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
http://www.rockfordsystems.com/online/photos/stdmntgrind.jpg

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-23-2010, 07:44 PM
I guess I have gotten complacent after all these years of playing with the stuff. Grinding shield probably is a good idea and foggy goggles noted! Should this happen to you one thing I have learned don't rub the blamed thing get some eyegell and pump your eyelid full till you can get to the doc. Oh and one more thing if you don't wear glasses and need an optimotrist or whatever their called, good luck. Some guy named @#$%^&* is meeting me up at his office at 730pm tonight. Only other option was the emergency room.

Camp10
02-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Ken, they only look that way for a little while. After that, they might as well be made of metal. You end up looking around them or flipping them up to see your work. It is better to have the protection on your face.

randyt
02-23-2010, 07:45 PM
man that's a bugger. i got a spark on my eye right where the the colour and the eye ball meet. i got a education on eyes. my eye hurt like heck for a very long time. i couldn't hardly drive. be carefull

crashdive123
02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Hope all is well CS. Safety glasses and face shield for me when I gind.

Ken - not sure what CS is using to grind, but not all of them will take a shield. Here's the two I'm using.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Knife%20Making/KnifeMaking2003.jpg

welderguy
02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Cowboy, I am sorry to hear about the metal in your eye. I can tell ya from experience it isn't the metal coming directly from the grinding disk, it is the particles that are in the air that gets behind your glasses and into your eye.
Here is a little trick I learned about removing metal bits from your eye, if you can keep your eye open while doing this, Get a Kleenex a flash light and a mirror, hold the flashlight against your cheek below the affected eye, beam pointing up when you turn it on be looking straight back into your eyes in the mirror, the metal will look like a grease spot against the light , now the tricky part keep your eye wide open fold the Kleenex over about 5 times then fold in half, while looking in the mirror place the Kleenex onto your eye were the metal is pushing down lightly, the metal if not completely embedded will hook to the Kleenex and come out of your eye.
What ever you do don't rub your eye just keep it closed till you either go to a doctor ( BTW the doctor is the best advice) or try the Kleenex method. it has worked for me many times, just don't rub it it buries it in, don't ask me how I know that.

Rick
02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Sight and hearing are nothing to play around with. If you guys aren't wearing hearing protection then I strongly suggest you do. Ear plugs or full earmuff type with or without music is necessary any time you are around power tools. They don't have to be all that loud either. The constant drone at set frequencies can do damage.

Hope it turns out all right for you, CS.

rebel
02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your injury. Get well soon.

Camp10
02-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Sight and hearing are nothing to play around with. If you guys aren't wearing hearing protection then I strongly suggest you do. Ear plugs or full earmuff type with or without music is necessary any time you are around power tools. They don't have to be all that loud either. The constant drone at set frequencies can do damage.

Hope it turns out all right for you, CS.

I am not very good about hearing protection. I will wear them when I am forging though because the forge and the anvil are both very loud but I rarely use them around the grinders. Good advice, just tough to follow.

Ken
02-23-2010, 07:56 PM
If you guys aren't wearing hearing protection then I strongly suggest you do.

I always recommend that guys use protection. :innocent:

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Welderguy, As you know I have been a fabricator and welder most of my life. Down here we use a tater slice to remove the stuff. Well I tried all the tricks this sucker is either still in or cut me good. I am off to the doc. I'll update this post when I return. One thing I am glad of is they ain't burnt from welding. Been there and done that too! Hope to be back soon.

Sarge47
02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Also, if you decide to operate certain power equipment like a drill press, lathe, Table saw, etc.; take off any rings & your wrist watch, bracelet, etc..
Finally, wear short-sleeve shirts; no long sleeves. Did a lot of metal shop, wood shop, & welding shop in high school. Anything to keep away from the more academic classes. :cool2:

crashdive123
02-23-2010, 07:59 PM

Thank you Dr. Ruth.

Camp10
Good luck at the doc's CS!!

Ken
Anything to keep away from the more academic classes. :cool2:

Yes, we know. :innocent:

Ken
02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Thank you Dr. Ruth.

http://family.findlaw.com/child-support/support-help/le18_8_1.html?DCMP=KNC-Public-Channel&HBX_PK=child+support+calculator&HBX_OU=50

rebel
02-23-2010, 08:01 PM
It's gettin' catty.

Camp10
02-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Yeah but the gun and knife might scare....oh never mind.

standingbear
02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Hope your eye gets better, I have had a steel speck removed from my right eye was no fun.:tongue_smilie:

hunter63
02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
CS, hope everything works out for you, that really sucks, and I agree, very painful.

Thirty years in a very noisy factory, taught me all about safety equipment, double hearing protection, safety glasses, w/side shields, steel toe shoes/boots, harnesses etc.

25 of those years as a supervisor, responsible for different sized crews over the years, I guess I was surprised that more people didn't take their equipment seriously, and paid the price.

We had a weekly safety inspection, the first place I would head was the couple of grinders in the area, I would bet the every time the shield were tipped up or missing, as well as the tool rest being missing or out of adjustment.

Next place was the ox-acetylene sets and spare tanks having safety chains in place.

I wore safety glasses w/side shields, even though for a long time I didn't need a prescription in them (do now) and actually felt naked doing any thing without them.

Grinders, chop saws, metal saws, you almost need goggles, but I know how easy it is to say to your self, I only have to.........

And I do have a fire extinguishers all over the place, both shops, kitchen, laundry room, bedroom and even in the truck. Been know to set stuff on fire.

Rick
02-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Been know to set stuff on fire.

"Stuff" must be your wife's nickname for you.

welderguy
02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Welderguy, As you know I have been a fabricator and welder most of my life. Down here we use a tater slice to remove the stuff. Well I tried all the tricks this sucker is either still in or cut me good. I am off to the doc. I'll update this post when I return. One thing I am glad of is they ain't burnt from welding. Been there and done that too! Hope to be back soon.

Thats right I forgot about that, so you been there before, You know when its time to go have it checked. I hope its just a simple scratch and nothing major, Let us all know how it turns out. and remind the DR to check for a rust ring they missed some on me once caused a lot of misery. Feel better soon.

hunter63
02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
"Stuff" must be your wife's nickname for you.

Well, yeah, one of the better ones............

Rick
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Depends on the mood doesn't it? I think was about 16 before I found out my middle name wasn't Dammit. All mom and dad ever called me was Rick Dammit.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-23-2010, 10:50 PM
I am back! Sure enough there was steel in my eye and yes Welderguy I had rust ring which was removed with a drill. Pain drops were administered in the office and I was sent on my way with a script for antibiotics. Doc says I can't work until Monday. (I ain't so sure about that) He said i couldn't cover it and that I should just keep my eyes closed until Friday at which time I have a follow up appt. to get dialated to check and see if something or another was penetrated. Not sure but he seemed like a quack. What do ya'll think can I cover it and goto work. I have an office job? Welderguy, what kinda grief did the rust ring cause?

Ken
02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I am back! Sure enough there was steel in my eye and yes Welderguy I had rust ring which was removed with a drill. Pain drops were administered in the office and I was sent on my way with a script for antibiotics. Doc says I can't work until Monday. (I ain't so sure about that) He said i couldn't cover it and that I should just keep my eyes closed until Friday at which time I have a follow up appt. to get dialated to check and see if something or another was penetrated. Not sure but he seemed like a quack. What do ya'll think can I cover it and goto work. I have an office job? Welderguy, what kinda grief did the rust ring cause?

Don't cover it. If it's only on the surface, the pain meds and antibiotics should fix it in a couple of days.

The doc may be a quack, but I'm an EX-SPURT at recovering from eye injuries. I've had over a dozen cornea tears. One was from metal and the rest were from my $%*&@$% contact lenses. Usually better in 24 hours.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Don't cover it. If it's only on the surface, the pain meds and antibiotics should fix it in a couple of days.

The doc may be a quack, but I'm an EX-SPURT at recovering from eye injuries. I've had over a dozen cornea tears. One was from metal and the rest were from my $%*&@$% contact lenses. Usually better in 24 hours.

Thanks Ken,

Guess I will have to listen to a Ex-Spurt!

welderguy
02-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Listen to the quack Ummm i mean doctor, No seriously Stay off work if you can if the eye is covered you will have a tendency to blink and that just aggravates the wound, and if you get a speck of a speck of dust in that wound it gets infected ( again don't ask me how I know.)
Now on to the rust ring, after the initial removal and healing process of 3 or 4 days it felt like there was metal in my eye again, went back to the Dr and was told there was more rust that must have been deep and now that the eye was healing it was pushing it to the surface, so more scraping and drilling, after that it felt good just a minor discomfort like a dry eye 2 days later never bothered me again. so definitely go to the follow up and wear sunglasses , my eye was ultra sensitive for 2 weeks after .

welderguy
02-24-2010, 12:35 AM

How does a contact lens tear a cornea ?

Ken
02-24-2010, 12:48 AM
How does a contact lens tear a cornea ?

When it dries a bit and you rub it. Sometimes when you're reading for a long period of time, other times when you wake up and rub your eyes.

First time I did it was the day after the Blizzard of '78 ended. Hadn't slept for about 3 days and I was exhausted. Rubbed my eye and that was it. The glare from the sunlight reflecting off the snow caused excruciating pain. Fell asleep on a beach once. Same thing. :innocent:

Now I keep a teeny weeny (15 ml) bottle of parcaine 0.5% in the fridge to kill the pain ASAP. There WILL be another time. :sneaky2:

welderguy
02-24-2010, 12:51 AM
When it dries a bit and you rub it. Sometimes when you're reading for a long period of time, other times when you wake up and rub your eyes.

First time I did it was the day after the Blizzard of '78 ended. Hadn't slept for about 3 days and I was exhausted. Rubbed my eye and that was it. The glare from the sunlight reflecting off the snow caused excruciating pain. Fell asleep on a beach once. Same thing. :innocent:

Now I keep a teeny weeny (15 ml) bottle of parcaine 0.5% in the fridge to kill the pain ASAP. There WILL be another time. :sneaky2:

I knew there was a reason I wont wear contacts, I did not know that about contacts thanks for the info.

Ken
02-24-2010, 12:56 AM
I knew there was a reason I wont wear contacts, I did not know that about contacts thanks for the info.

Welder, I've gotta' be honest - I abuse the things. My eye doc is a close friend (actually one of the guys I went to Europe with in '93 - http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showpost.php?p=197306&postcount=5 ) and he's constantly asking me when the last time I took my contact lenses out was. :innocent:

Even though I have the extended wear lenses, he suggests I take them out at night. And I do - about once a month before I change them. :blushing:

welderguy
02-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Welder, I've gotta' be honest - I abuse the things. My eye doc is a close friend (actually one of the guys I went to Europe with in '93 - http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showpost.php?p=197306&postcount=5 ) and he's constantly asking me when the last time I took my contact lenses out was. :innocent:

Even though I have the extended wear lenses, he suggests I take them out at night. And I do - about once a month before I change them. :blushing:

So you take the extended wear contacts to a new level Huh? Yeah I could see how that would cause problems.

Ken
02-24-2010, 01:17 AM
I'll tell ya', I'd recommend them to anyone. Perfect periferral vision, no steaming up or raindrops like regular glasses. Perfect vision when you wake up - especially when something goes bump in the night.....

I even wear them when I'm swimming - yeah, I've lost a couple doing that. Not any good for snorkelling or diving, though. I've still got a prescription mask somewhere around here.........

The next bunch I get are going to be the progressive bifocal ones - not that I really need them yet. :innocent: I've worn the regular ones, with improvements as they've come out, for over 40 years.

If you follow the docs advice (better than I do) the things should give you no problems at all. Honestly, I can't even feel them in there.

Rick
02-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Lasers can fix that. Just sayin'.......

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks everyone! Especially Ken and Welderguy....I really did think the doc was a quack and would've went to work. You guys convinced me he was right. I can be stubborn at times.

panch0
02-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I hope ya get to feeling better and that the eye gets back to 100%. Listen to the doc.

hunter63
02-24-2010, 12:29 PM
CS, I know it's hard to sit still for any length of time, but I do believe you made the right decision, give the eye a rest, then you can go back and give it h***.

Depends on the mood doesn't it? I think was about 16 before I found out my middle name wasn't Dammit. All mom and dad ever called me was Rick Dammit.

That's funny, all my black labs first names are really Dammit, too!
Called them that this morning, they were playing in the snow, but when I hollered dammit, they all came running......standing in the door way, heating up the neighborhood......they just stand there and look at you.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks Hunter! Ok so now I am going stir crazy! I got a shower, doc said no showers! come'on no shower. I put a peice of 100 mile an hour tape over it and went for it. Flushed with antibiotics when I was out. Can't work on my knife but can't see why i couldn't work on the sheath. So I guess that is the plan.

Rick
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah. I'm the same way, too. I go pay my money to the doctor then ignore his advice. Good plan.

(Can you actually read that? Oh well, even if you can you can't see me to hit me so nanny nanny boo boo).

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I can see outta one eye! Though it isn't my dominant eye so I am sure to miss!

Rick
02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I really hope all is well and the prognosis is good. I probably should have posted that first before making fun of you.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Rick, I am fine and your caring is very much appreciated...Lets just hope I don't mistake my finger for cowhide and all will be well.

crashdive123
02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
I can see outta one eye! Though it isn't my dominant eye so I am sure to miss!

So your other eye is into the whips and chains???:innocent:

Glad you're doing OK.

Batch
02-25-2010, 12:05 AM
They used a drill to remove the metal? When I had my metal slag removed in the mid 1980's the used a scalpel IIRC and a magnet. They dilated the eye and taped it with gauze afterward. I was supposed to go to a pharmacy and pick up a eye patch.

I bumped the turn lane curve more times than I'll admit here. I was fine in a day or two if I remember correctly. Bought the eye patch and only wore it for a couple of minutes.

Anyhow, I hope you heal quickly and get back to your knife.

crashdive123
02-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Bought the eye patch and only wore it for a couple of minutes.

And yet your avatar wears one all the time.:innocent::clap::innocent:

Rick
02-25-2010, 07:21 AM
I hope they gave you the piece of steel they took out of your eye. I'll be interested to see what you turn it into. Maybe a tiny blade for the survival kit?