PDA

View Full Version : Fire with hand sanitizer

rebel
02-23-2010, 07:28 PM
I did a little experiment with hand sanitizer to see how flammable it was. I used what I had and those were: A sani-com towelette and hand sanitizer jell.

The sani-com towelette was difficult to light and would not stay lit.

The hand sanitizer jell lit and burned well. In addition to its primary purpose it would also be a good fire making aide. Caution (Hunter63), the flame is hard to see in daylight!

Rick
02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Most hand sanitizers have a high percentage of alcohol so they should work very well. It just reinforces that if you find yourself in a bad situation you need to take stock of what you have available and take advantage of it.

Good post. Thanks!!!

Camp10
02-23-2010, 07:41 PM
It is also a good thing to keep in mind if you are a smoker...just saying!

hunter63
02-23-2010, 08:24 PM
The hand sanitizer jell lit and burned well. In addition to its primary purpose it would also be a good fire making aide. Caution (Hunter63), the flame is hard to see in daylight!

Good to know, but I think I'll pass, for now, hair on fingers about all growed back, at least for now.

Stargazer
02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
It is also a good thing to keep in mind if you are a smoker...just saying!

Tent seam sealer is another that you do not want all over youre fingers when you light up a smoke.

Geronimo!
02-24-2010, 11:56 PM
If you need to travel with your fire, rub some sanitizer gel on a strip of cotton cloth (shirt), wrap the cloth around a good size stick, then light. It'll give you a slow burning ember for a few hours and should last long enough for a morning hike. Then you don't have to start your fire from scratch for lunch or dinner

pete lynch
02-25-2010, 06:11 AM
I had been wondering if that would work better than the cottonballs/petroleum jelly combo as a firestarter. Thanks for doing the work for me. :)
By the time I get around to putting my thoughts into action, you guys have already done it for me.:clap:

rebel
02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
If you need to travel with your fire, rub some sanitizer gel on a strip of cotton cloth (shirt), wrap the cloth around a good size stick, then light. It'll give you a slow burning ember for a few hours and should last long enough for a morning hike. Then you don't have to start your fire from scratch for lunch or dinner

That's thinking ahead. Thanks!

rebel
02-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Tent seam sealer is another that you do not want all over youre fingers when you light up a smoke.

I hadn't thought of seam sealer. Good info!