PDA

View Full Version : posible fire starter?

huskymill
02-23-2010, 05:29 PM
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a-burning-laser-flashlight

i kinda want to make one of these just cause its cool looking. i dont think its a valid tool for starting fires but i guess its possible.

gryffynklm
02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Looks like fun! Keep in mind that the match is already has a start because of its chemical makeup. The balloon is under pressure and has very little mass at the point the laser is hitting it. It wouldn't have to melt the balloon to get it to pop. I would be curious to see how well it could burn a piece of paper or other tinder before I would take apart a drive. Maybe if it was a broken drive.

You can boost the power of a laser pointer to do similar "burning" by finding the component that limits the power to the diode and holding a soldering iron to it. This destroys the limiting function and allows power to flow in restricted. I think the same guy did a video using a laser pointer.

Give a try, I don't know if it can ignite tinder or not, just doubtful of what it can burn energy wise. If you try it let us know.

By the way don't look down the barrel to see if its loaded. I'm sure its strong enough to put your eye out.

hunter63
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
OMG, a Lightsaber!

Well, I guess its got a coolness factor, I probably won't be building one anytime soon myself, but if you, do let us know.

huskymill
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
lol yeah i doubt that it would work for any type of survival situation but you have to admit its pretty cool