PDA

View Full Version : The Alaska Jamboree

klkak
02-23-2010, 02:19 PM
I would like to see and RSVP for the Alaska Jamboree coming this June 4,5,6, 2010. No later then May 15, 2010.

Please post your RSVP here. If you can't make it please don't post in this thread.

klkak
02-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I will be at the Jamboree and will possibly be bringing one other person.

Sourdough
02-23-2010, 02:24 PM
If I am alive I'll be there..........:)

welderguy
02-23-2010, 04:27 PM
God willing and the creek dont rise Ill be there

P.S. I am driving please give direcions, I plan on driving thru Juneau Alaska :innocent:

Mountaintrekker
02-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Myself and my lovely wife and 2 dogs will be there. Quite possibly in our 31' Airstream trailer.

DOGMAN
02-25-2010, 12:27 AM
I am still trying to coordinate it. Nova River Guides is offering a Swiftwater Rescue Class in the Anchorage area May 29,30, and 31st...so I'm hoping to take that class, and make the Jamboree to. I just have to make sure I can afford it first. If March is as busy for me as Feb has been, I'll definetly be there!!!!

klkak
03-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Come on people. This is a once in a life time opportunity.

doug1980
03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Well it will be tough but I'm in. Now if I knew where it was and what to bring?

Mountaintrekker
03-03-2010, 04:44 AM
Should we put this up as a sticky so it doesn't get lost?
Doug: go South from Anchorage and you will see all these purdy paved hiking trails and fancy bathrooms and such, well... keep going that's not it! ;) Keep going till you get to the Hope/Sunrise turn off on your right and take it. Follow all the way down, I'm only good to that point. I think it's up Resurection trail/road but I cant be certain. Maybe the two knucklheads hosting/coordinating will throw us a bone with a map attached at some point, or like I mentioned earlier... half the fun of the Alaskan Jamboree is finding the darn thing! :)

Sourdough
03-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Should we put this up as a sticky so it doesn't get lost?
Doug: go South from Anchorage and you will see all these purdy paved hiking trails and fancy bathrooms and such, well... keep going that's not it! ;) Keep going till you get to the Hope/Sunrise turn off on your right and take it. Follow all the way down, I'm only good to that point. I think it's up Resurection trail/road but I cant be certain. Maybe the two knucklheads hosting/coordinating will throw us a bone with a map attached at some point, or like I mentioned earlier... half the fun of the Alaskan Jamboree is finding the darn thing! :)

Mountaintrekker, You have been to and stayed at Jason & April's Angle 45*. Doug has been to my place last fall. I live on the Hope Road, or just off of the Hope Road. The Hope Road is 16.8 miles long, and the town of Hope, Alaska (Population 190) sits at the end of the road. It is a dead-end road, with one way in and the same way out. We are about 90 miles South of Anchorage, Alaska. The most important thing is, that the only shelter will be what members bring with them, tent, trailer, pick-up truck camper, etc. In fact the only anything there will be is what the member brings. Members will be camping in the wilderness, or staying at a Bed & breakfast joint. I live in a overstuffed, cramped 11' wide by 23' long one room cabin, which is on skids and 1/2 way to it's new location, it is a shack, not what most people envision for a cabin, so you can't sleep with me, unless your a single hot female.

I expect 4 to 6 members to show up. I expect that they will be bored to tears, and that some will go home early. This is the middle of the Chugach National Forest, if members don't like peeing and pooping in the Forest they will be unhappy and bored to tears. Even Cell phone service is spotty. There is one small restaurant in Hope, Alaska which is closed in the winter, and will open end of May. There is no fuel station. If someone wants to google a map, I am next door 1/8 mile to: www.chugachoutdoorcenter.com

Mountaintrekker
03-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks Sourdough! That does help a bit. I heard some talk of a shooting range, is that still a possibility? Of course responsible gun handling and no alcohol until after the firearms are put away. If you think people will be bored to tears, let's come up with a few fun things to do. Maybe some of the city slickers who want to experience "off the grid livin" can dig you a new outhouse hole while those of us who have lived like that can sit back and direct them? ;)
Seriously now: How about some primitive skills sharing? Bow and drill, local edibles, knife or tomahawk throwing, making a primitive bow and arrows, making a sling, using your nifty firesteel on local materials to see what works and what doesn't, skeet/trap shooting (I have a couple of hand throwers) and a host of other possibilities.
I think you have a decent salmon run near that time don't you? We plan on having a small wood fired smoker with us... could be good munchies if the fish are in.
Let me know what you think.

Sourdough
03-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks Sourdough! That does help a bit. I heard some talk of a shooting range, is that still a possibility? Of course responsible gun handling and no alcohol until after the firearms are put away. If you think people will be bored to tears, let's come up with a few fun things to do. Maybe some of the city slickers who want to experience "off the grid livin" can dig you a new outhouse hole while those of us who have lived like that can sit back and direct them? ;)
Seriously now: How about some primitive skills sharing? Bow and drill, local edibles, knife or tomahawk throwing, making a primitive bow and arrows, making a sling, using your nifty firesteel on local materials to see what works and what doesn't, skeet/trap shooting (I have a couple of hand throwers) and a host of other possibilities.
I think you have a decent salmon run near that time don't you? We plan on having a small wood fired smoker with us... could be good munchies if the fish are in.
Let me know what you think.

Look Kevin, We have an events coordinator. Shooting is good. My skill'set is lots of gasoline, lots of paper, four rolls of paper towels soaked in diesel, some dry wood, a full pack of matches, light that puppy, and PRAY hard for fire.

klkak
03-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Dave how 'bout I build the fires for this get together?

I think that was real nice of MT to volunteer to be the events director.

I plan on bringing a bunch of venison both burger and stakes. It'll be enough for one evening meal. I'm not the best cook but I'll cook the venison it if no one else volunteers.

If anyone is comming from outside you don't have to bother iwth bringing a weapon unles you wont to. I have several firearms that I will bring down. If there is any other equipment someone will need I'm sure one of us locals can come up with it for your use while here. IE. sleeping bags, hatchets, tents or tarps. etc.

We will need to know what you need several days before you arrive.

welderguy
03-04-2010, 11:24 PM
My only question is, the temp in June, that way I know what sleeping bag and tent to pack.

OK make that 2 questions, since I'm flying to Anchorage , I am sure they have car rentals right.

DOGMAN
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
The wife has given me the go ahead! and I've got a kennel sitter watching the dogs. So, I am just trying to afford it now...if I can just book a few more tours for March, I can pay for the ticket. I am 95% in!

DOGMAN
03-05-2010, 12:43 AM
oh yeah....I'll be turning 40 in Mid-May...so this is also a birthday celebration for me

klkak
03-05-2010, 01:25 AM
My only question is, the temp in June, that way I know what sleeping bag and tent to pack.

OK make that 2 questions, since I'm flying to Anchorage , I am sure they have car rentals right.

Yes they have car rentals at the airport. Temps in early June are in the Hight 60's unless it snows.:clap:

klkak
03-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Bumping this up again so it stays fresh. We have plenty of rooms for more to attend. Would love to see Chris, Sarge, Rick or Crash show up.

crashdive123
03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
I'd love to be able to go, but it does not look like it's in the cards right now.

Rick
03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I think I'm gonna have to pass, too. I would love to join in, though.

klkak
03-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Well that leaves Chris and Sarge.

klkak
03-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Bumping this up again.

So far we have the following expressing interest.

Sourdough
MountainTrekker
Jason Montana
Welderguy
Doug1980
Klkak

Don't miss out on an opportunity of a life time.

Sourdough
04-30-2010, 01:41 AM
OK, About a month out now. I don't know what anyones expectations are. But, here is my situation. We still have 27" to 41" of snow here, and it is going fast. Next week I move out of the mansion and back to my 12' X 24' shack. So in the move I may be off line for a while.

Just a reminder.........there is NO-THING here, so if you want-it or you Need-it, you better bring-it. There is NO Cover, No Shelter if it rains all weekend. It does not appear that there will be any show & Tell, no wilderness skills exhibitions, not even a campfire story time. So I guess my point is if you are expecting anything, it needs to get communicated ASAP.

rebel
04-30-2010, 01:55 AM
I wish I could sit by the camp fire with ya'll. I know it'd be a good time!