PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Venison Marinades?

Geronimo!
02-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm making backstrap tonight and want something tasty. I was thinking of marinading it in beer and spices like sausages, but I'm afraid that'll taste pretty bad.

Geronimo!
02-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Well,

Instead of waiting for a recipe, I went out and made my own. Here it is:

Oil
Vinegar
Water
Beer
Worcestershire Sauce
Hot Sauce
Half a lemon
Garlic
Garlic Salt
some herbs I found with no names
Seasoning Salt
Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper

As you can probably tel, these were all very scientific measurements I was using and I definitely was not just taking whatever was around and throwing it in.

If I don't die from eating the herbs I found with no names, I'll let you know how it tastes.

Stargazer
02-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Looks good. I would add a little dejon mustard.Rub youre meat with the mustard and drizzle the worchester over it.Then rub youre mystery spices over the mustard.Place in roasting pan and add the beer to the bottom so the roast does not dry out..

Just my 2$ worth.

Rick
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
You, sir, are one sick puppy.

preachtheWORD
02-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Call me oldschool but I just like soaking it in vinegar and salt dissolved in water. Then I pan fry it in lots of butter and a little sage until It is just a little crispy. Then again, I like the taste of venison tenderloin (i.e., "backstrap") pretty much like it is. I've probably eaten more venison than beef in my life so I'm pretty used to the taste that most people call "gamy."

your_comforting_company
02-22-2010, 08:01 PM
my favorite marinade.. salt and pepper and pineapple juice. The acids in the juice help tenderize it and the pineapple gives a little wang to it.
I also like #10 (sausage) spice mixed with Old No. 7.

Or you could just throw it on a hot rock.. thats what I normally do. mmmm-mmmmm

aflineman
02-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I tend to add Sprite or 7up into my brine instead of beer. I also add a bit of cognac at times.
That is just me though, as unfortunately beer and I don't get along (I break out in hives). :(

Stargazer
02-22-2010, 09:17 PM
You, sir, are one sick puppy.

Who me?:innocent:...Thats a hoot coming from someone who wears a pink thong:tongue_smilie:

Geronimo!
02-22-2010, 09:41 PM
The marinade was a success! Not the greatest, but certainly not the worst.

Put the medallions on a broiler pan and broiled at 500 for maybe 15 minutes til they were pink and juicy. They had a kick from the massive amount of red pepper I spilled into the marinade, then the lemon flavors came out for the finish.

YCC, before today I had always believed acidity was bad for venison, but from what I tasted, you're right, it made those medallions as tender as a pink and juicy medallion could be.

aflineman, I've never heard of putting 7up or sprite in a marinade. I'll have to try that. The cognac sounds good.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I've got plenty of cooking to do now.:clap:

your_comforting_company
02-22-2010, 11:57 PM
You are saving the sinews off those backstraps aren't you?:excl::eyepoke: I can think of at least one member who'd like to have them...

Winnie
02-23-2010, 05:53 AM
Next time give this a go,
Olive oil, red wine, crushed garlic cloves, a few crushed juniper berries, whole black pepercorns, sprig rosemary. I leave adding the salt til I cook it. The marinade makes great gravy!

Geronimo!
02-23-2010, 01:12 PM
You are saving the sinews off those backstraps aren't you?:excl::eyepoke: I can think of at least one member who'd like to have them...

sorry ycc, wasn't my deer and we cleaned back in November. Next I get I'll make sure and get you the good stuff. We don't take the hide or anything so it's there's a way to get it to you I'd be happy to.

Durtyoleman
02-24-2010, 06:03 AM
1Tbsp crushed red pepper
1/4 cup O.J.
4Tbsp worstchestshire sauce
1 clove fresh garlic
1/2 tsp sweet basil
1/2 can carnation sweet condensed milk

This will do two pounds meat...can double the recipe for more meat but don't double the garlic it will overpower the meats flavor.

D.O.M.

your_comforting_company
02-24-2010, 08:30 AM
a little off topic, sorry, but G, I imagine it'd cost a pretty penny to ship a salted hide. I was actually thinking of FVR regarding the backstrap sinews; he's a bowyer. I would like to get hold of some extra skins, I only have 6 or 8 left :( I'll stop by the post office today to see what it might cost to ship a skin and find out any details that need to be covered.. like dripping juicies and smells..
just guessing, a wet hide weighs about 10 lbs. add about 2-3 pounds of salt, plus packaging.. probably 15lbs shipped. If you dry it, you lose about 60% of that weight and wouldn't need salt.. probably a lot to ask to dry-salt a hide before shipping.
Thanks for thinkin of me!!

Rick
02-24-2010, 08:57 AM
I don't think they will let you ship it. Perishable items are not allowed. But it never hurts to ask.

Durtyoleman
02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Properly packaged you should be able to ship it. They ship omaha steaks in styrofoam with dry ice after all. The question is will your state allow the hides from animals from out of state...Fla won't allow deer or elk into the state due to concern of disease transmission.

D.O.M.

Old GI
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Call me oldschool but I just like soaking it in vinegar and salt dissolved in water. Then I pan fry it in lots of butter and a little sage until It is just a little crispy. Then again, I like the taste of venison tenderloin (i.e., "backstrap") pretty much like it is. I've probably eaten more venison than beef in my life so I'm pretty used to the taste that most people call "gamy."

That's almost exactly like my first experience with deer heart (not dear, you guys). My mother soaked it in that solution and it was fantastic. It was also my father's last deer, he shot it from a wheel chair with the 870 I now use (NJ shotgun law). Really neat for a teenager, the heart had a 00 Buck hole in it.

your_comforting_company
02-24-2010, 08:03 PM
I think you're right, DOM. I remember reading that in the taxidermy license guide. theres a bunch of forms I'd have to fill out.. processed skins / parts are no problem, just the raw stuff. I would imagine a dry salted hide would be considered "processed" but I don't know.. I'd better check on that stuff. Thanks for the reminder. CWD is bad and we dont' have it around here yet. I don't want to go starting it.