PDA

View Full Version : Acid Rain

Justin Case
02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
We all know that saving rain water in a survival situation is something you should do, but what about Acid Rain ? Is there a problem drinking Acid Rainwater long term ??

Rick
02-21-2010, 05:51 PM
You drink it every day.

Sarge47
02-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Depends on what kind of acid's in it man! I mean there was this time back in the '60's...bummer man, I forget too much these days...far-out! :innocent:

Justin Case
02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
The tap water here comes from local wells , but it has way to much minerals , most people buy drinking water or use R/O in their homes along with water softeners,, are you saying the "acid" from pollution makes its way to well water, ? YIKES,, no wonder everybody has Cancer, After my original post I looked at Wikipedia,

Snippet/Health/Humans

Human health

Scientists have suggested direct links to human health.[31] Fine particles, a large fraction of which are formed from the same gases as acid rain (sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide), have been shown to cause illness and premature deaths such as cancer and other diseases.[32] For more information on the health effects of aerosols see particulate health effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rain#Human_health

gryffynklm
02-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Looks like I'm late to the post. The last link in my post has maps tht show the progress of acid rain reduction. Arizona looks clear. The source of the acid rain may be under better control, but lands heavy hit will take some time to rebalance.

Sorry for the long post.

The article below doesn't cover effects of consumption. In regard to the human health issue, the gaseous pollutants sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) that caused the low ph seem to be at issue. The acid rain health issues seem to be predominantly respiratory in nature from breathing in the water vapor from active rain fall.

Sulfur dioxide is a preservative often used in foods. like dried fruit and wine. THere is a safety section that warns about respiratory issues from inhalation of the gas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_dioxide

Nitrogen oxides primary health issue is also repertory from inhalation of the gas.

http://www.epa.gov/air/nitrogenoxides/

Below From US EPA http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/effects/health.html

Effects of Acid Rain - Human Health

Acid rain looks, feels, and tastes just like clean rain. The harm to people from acid rain is not direct. Walking in acid rain, or even swimming in an acid lake, is no more dangerous than walking or swimming in clean water. However, the pollutants that cause acid rain—sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx)—do damage human health. These gases interact in the atmosphere to form fine sulfate and nitrate particles that can be transported long distances by winds and inhaled deep into people's lungs. Fine particles can also penetrate indoors. Many scientific studies have identified a relationship between elevated levels of fine particles and increased illness and premature death from heart and lung disorders, such as asthma and bronchitis.

Based on health concerns, SO2 and NOx have historically been regulated under the Clean Air Act, including the Acid Rain Program. In the eastern U.S., sulfate aerosols make up about 25 percent of fine particles. By lowering SO2 and NOx emissions from power generation, the Acid Rain Program will reduce the levels of fine sulfate and nitrate particles and so reduce the incidence and the severity of these health problems. When fully implemented by the year 2010, the public health benefits of the Acid Rain Program are estimated to be valued at $50 billion annually, due to decreased mortality, hospital admissions, and emergency room visits.

Decreases in NOx emissions are also expected to have a beneficial impact on human health by reducing the nitrogen oxides available to react with volatile organic compounds and form ozone. Ozone impacts on human health include a number of morbidity and mortality risks associated with lung inflammation, including asthma and emphysema.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the EPD started monitoring and regulating coal fired power plants, the amount of emissions causing acid rain has been greatly been reduced.

EPA progress report and maps showing reduction is acid rain deposition.
http://www.epa.gov/airmarkt/progress/ARP_4.html

Rick
02-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Your well is fed by ground water percolating into the soil. While the earth is a great filter, depending on where you are, contaminates in enough concentration will certainly find their way into your well. So anything contained in rain water can, in theory, find its way into your well.

http://heartspring.net/water_well_contamination.html

Justin Case
02-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys,, we "Had" a coal fired power plant in town here up till they closed it a couple years ago, every day that stack would spew a greenish gray cloud that covered the valley, I read that the plant was fined 10,000 dollars a day for polluting, but , on the plus side, this is a Colorado River area,, and the ground is sandy or rocky near the river, so one would think it is "That" water in the water table,, BUT after Reading your posts,, I'll just drink Beer from now on :)

Sarge47
02-21-2010, 06:28 PM
BUT after Reading your posts,, I'll just drink Beer from now on :)
Which is made from water that is run-off of acid rain...just sayin' :innocent: Remember the "Land of Sky Blue Waters?" Did ya ever notice that bear liftin' his leg and taking a whiz into the lake? Just sayin' :sneaky2:

Justin Case
02-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Which is made from water that is run-off of acid rain...just sayin' :innocent: Remember the "Land of Sky Blue Waters?" Did ya ever notice that bear liftin' his leg and taking a whiz into the lake? Just sayin' :sneaky2:

Yes, But if I only Drink Beer, I wouldn't care anymore,, :clap:

Sarge47
02-21-2010, 06:34 PM
well...you see...uh...CRAP! I don't have a comeback! KEN!!!!!!! :online2long:

Rick
02-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Beer is just water that has been evaporated down leaving the heavy metals behind. That's why you think funny after having had a few.

2dumb2kwit
02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Beer is just water that has been evaporated down leaving the heavy metals behind. That's why you think funny after having had a few.

Yeah, but don't forget about the "buffalo theory". It may still be a net +.:innocent:

rwc1969
02-21-2010, 07:27 PM
You drink it every day.

Exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't mean it's safe, but we do drink it.

Justin Case
02-21-2010, 07:28 PM

I Don't Care,,, LOL

hunter63
02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah, but don't forget about the "buffalo theory". It may still be a net +.:innocent:

The Buffalo Theory, some times credited to Cliff Claven, of Cheers fame,

http://www.joke-archives.com/drinking/buffalotheory.html

hoosierarcher
02-22-2010, 01:22 PM
so called acid rain in most places is less acidic than vinegar.

Justin Case
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
When i was a kid we used to put an egg in vinegar,, 2 days later NO shell ,, pretty caustic stuff if you ask me, :)

RangerXanatos
02-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Yes, the vinegar that you commonly use is only about 5% acetic acid. High concentrations of it is flammable/combustable/explosive. Here is the MSDS sheet on it in high concentrations.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/A0326.htm

2dumb2kwit
02-22-2010, 03:02 PM
When i was a kid we used to put an egg in vinegar,, 2 days later NO shell ,, pretty caustic stuff if you ask me, :)

Yeah, but vinegar based BBQ sauce is one of gods gifts, to us.
Mmmmmmmm, mmmmmmmm!:clap:

Rick
02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, an if you use vinegar for the BBQ even the left overs are gone in two days. It must be pretty strong stuff.

Justin Case
02-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Bones and all !