PDA

View Full Version : Bargain Hunting

crashdive123
02-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Some folks were posting their Dietz Lanterns this past week. I've been keeping my eye out for a bit looking for some local bargains on them. Yesterday I was going to pick up one of the plastic models from WalMart, but they were out. Today I had a little better luck, along with a few other things that will find their way into my "experienced" tool box. They need some work, but that's the fun part right?

Ken
02-20-2010, 06:14 PM
I've got room in my toolbox if yours gets full. What are friends for, right? :)

Nice score, Crash. Again!

Winnie
02-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Now I know what you're on about, we call them Hurricane Lamps.

hunter63
02-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Y'all planning on a "Red light District"?
Nice find, been staying away for sales my self, self defense, trying to down size.....

crashdive123
02-20-2010, 06:35 PM
I figured if I could find a couple of green globes I could put running light on my barge.

Sam
02-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I was at Meijer's this past week and found metal bodied lamps like those for &8.00 each. I know they are not the quality of the ones Crash found but if you need this type of lamp they are not bad.
-Sam

Camp10
02-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Are you going to re-handle the saw or turn it into something else? Nice find!!

Sarge47
02-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Just got back from W-M awhile ago & had seen solar-powered outdoor lights that go around your walk-ways in the yard for $3 & $5 depending on what size you might want. These make great emergency lights & don't use any electricity! :cool2:

crashdive123
02-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Are you going to re-handle the saw or turn it into something else? Nice find!!

Not sure yet. This guy had about 20 more saws - some with handles and some without. I kind of like the way it looks - may have to pick up some more when the budget allows for it.

crashdive123
02-20-2010, 07:53 PM
I was at Meijer's this past week and found metal bodied lamps like those for &8.00 each. I know they are not the quality of the ones Crash found but if you need this type of lamp they are not bad.
-Sam

Sam - some were in good shape, but one is missing parts and another may be rusted beyond repair (spare parts for the others maybe). Here's the one that is pretty rough. New lamps for $8 sounds like a bargain.

Justin Case
02-20-2010, 07:57 PM
the dollar store has some cheapies also,, not the one dollar store,, the other dollar store that sells them for 5.99 i think ,,

welderguy
02-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice find Crash, I love them old lamps even if there unusable they still make great decorations.

Rick
02-20-2010, 10:36 PM
The one I got is probably that little red one in the middle. It's a size 20. I had sat it on the stone ledge around my fireplace. I went to get it this morning and there's a nice kerosene soak in the stone. AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!! The tank is pressed on and the seam is leaking. It will look great when the garbage truck picks it up this week. Cheap a$$ piece of crap.

Check the tank and make certain it isn't leaking!!

crashdive123
02-20-2010, 10:47 PM
I know that the red one on the right has rust through holes in the tank. I figured some of the parts (globe, tank cap) might make the blue one in the middle whole. I wonder if soldering the seams would work? - of course making sure that whole fuel and blowing up thing doesn't happen.

Rick
02-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Actually, I had considered that. I figured the additional solder were add some weight to it so I could toss it in the lake. Then I remember the thread about Chinese Crap in the rivers and I was afraid what might happen if I did.

Stargazer
02-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Nice score Crash..

The lantern on the left looks like a Monarch, its a hot blast lantern.The cool thing with hot blast lanters is that they are great for burning indoors.Due to their design there is little smell from the burned fuel.The little red one looks like a Comet.Clean that one up best you can and check for any dates and codes.Comets can be worth any where from a buck to over a hundred depending on what model you have.The last few on the right look like Little Wizzards.They are cold blast lanterns.A cold blast lantern will give off a whitter light than a hot blast but you get a bit of a fuel smell.Not much but if you have half a dozen burning at once the smell will get to you.

Get a five gallon bucket,a jar of molassas and warm (on the hot side) water.Mix all in bucket and then put lantern in it(strip it down first,globe,fuel cap,wick etc..).Let is soak over night then scrub with steel wool.Its a great way to remove most if not all of the rust with out taking the finish off.