PDA

View Full Version : Another Asian Carp solution. Commercial

Geronimo!
02-20-2010, 04:45 PM
After reading Hunter's post on the first annual asian carp shootout I started looking at different proposed solutions and came across a decent solution. Hunter, this would let you get on on the river every day and blast as many fish as you could.

In Havana, IL a group has built a processing center for the asian carp. The plan would be to take the fish, heat them enough to turn all the moisture to steam, then press the dehydrated feed and bottle the extracted omega oils. they could then sell the oil for use in omega-3 fatty acid supplements and sell the dehydrated fish meat as feed for farms.

“The stuff that came out was pristine. It’s worth its weight in gold.”

Humans have wiped out entire species before and I think we can do it again to the Asian Carp on the Illinois and Mississippi river. This will make taking them out at least slightly profitable.

Anyone want to become a professional asian carp fisherman?

Source- http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/pso/article/fishing_for_a_carp_solution/

Ted
02-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the post and the link,very interesting considering I've knock around the idea of being a comm. fisher a lot. Not to mention I'm only 15 miles from Havana! I'll have to see if I can get a job there! Got a decent job now but getting to hate painting and driving 1 hour to work every day.

Thanks again!

hunter63
02-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Years ago they harvested carp out of a couple of flowages in Wisconsin, big barges, DNR controlled, permits, etc.
Story was, they were gonna make cat food, 'course that was about the time Micky D's came out with fish sandwiches?????

Anyway from what I've read, they are a river fish, I guess I don't see a problem with that idea................
Seems that fooling with Mother Nature never really works out.

So far the only advantage I can see from the Asian carp, is all the jobs they created to study, be-ach about them, and of course politicians.

Batch
02-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Anyone want to become a professional asian carp fisherman?

Source- http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/pso/article/fishing_for_a_carp_solution/

I can't I'm not Asian...

I could be a redneck carp fisherman though. :innocent:

Blasfemo
07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
This is actually a plague in my neck of the woods, the eat almost everything and grow so big at some point they have no natural predators, some exemplars of 30KG have been more and more times reported by local fishers... this was also introduced in your habitats or am i wrong?

crashdive123
07-08-2010, 04:13 PM
This is actually a plague in my neck of the woods, the eat almost everything and grow so big at some point they have no natural predators, some exemplars of 30KG have been more and more times reported by local fishers... this was also introduced in your habitats or am i wrong?

They have been introduced in some areas of the United States.

justin_baker
07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I can't I'm not Asian...

I could be a redneck carp fisherman though. :innocent:

http://blog.rednecklaughs.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/asian-flat-top-mullet.jpg