PDA

View Full Version : two for pocco

wareagle69
02-19-2010, 08:01 AM
second on the thanks to brother pocco as well just got my box of rocks at the postal orifice yesterday lady laughed when i said "oh good my box of rocks" we only live in the second largest impact sit in the world, but no flint as far as i know, but i am not a rock enthousiast either. and now thanks to YCC also for his pics i know what to do with the rock, just need to find a peice of antler
thanks guys, you rock(pun inteneded)
WE

your_comforting_company
02-19-2010, 08:42 AM
WE, if you can find some hand-sized quartzite they work great in lieu of having antler billets. It's what I used for the first many months of learning before I got the horn. I'll ask Craig what kind of horn it is again, it's really dense and heavy. Whitetail deer works pretty well but it's not as hard as this one and requires more touching up to keep the round end round. The quartzite stuff is really crystalline-like on the inside, you know what I'm talking about.. you find them in rivers and streams, often round on the outside (smooth). The softer rock will peel flakes off a spall really nicely.
I'll get back to you on the kind of antler Craig traded me.
He also told me to stay away from "copper boppers" until I was really good. Craig is really good and he said he can absolutely destroy a rock into a pile of dust with one...

I look forward to seeing some of your chips WE. That's some good stuff!

your_comforting_company
02-19-2010, 08:44 AM
on a side note, I'd send you some WT horn, except what I didn't send to poco, I gave to craig the other day for scales.. If I come across any nice roadkills, I'll save you out the horns and send 'em your way. All I really want is the skin and brain anyhow ;)

Batch
02-19-2010, 12:46 PM
He also told me to stay away from "copper boppers" until I was really good. Craig is really good and he said he can absolutely destroy a rock into a pile of dust with one...

I tried napping using the bottom of a bottle and kept breaking the damned glass. I was using copper and rocks. Maybe that was why I was breaking them.

Rick
02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Just one more reason to drink another beer.

"Hon, can you bring me another beer?"

"Haven't you had enough. That's the sixth one."

"It's not my fault. I keep breaking the dang things. Well, crap! There went another one. Better bring two!"

pocomoonskyeyes
02-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Now, I want you two to stop,,,,,,make sure you are sitting down, are you sitting down???

I had a 5 gallon bucket of that stuff at the Jamboree this past summer!! Maybe a little more!! Then as now, it was free for the asking. Assuming I have any at the time.

I've been doing a little research on my Topo map and lo and behold there is a place about 5 miles from me called Flint Knob!! I haven't made it over that way yet but I really want to go and check it out.(With land owners permission of course.) I am really hoping that it is a "Gold Mine" of Flint and that I can get my hands on some really good stuff. If so I will let you guys know how that goes.

Rick
02-19-2010, 02:30 PM
The Kentucky State Parks Department is still trying to figure out who keeps steeling the rocks from Flint State Park.

pocomoonskyeyes
02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
The Kentucky State Parks Department is still trying to figure out who keeps steeling the rocks from Flint State Park.

Ain't me!!!!

crashdive123
02-19-2010, 08:05 PM

During these tough times it was found that these guys (http://www.cityofflint.com/) have been making raids on the place.

your_comforting_company
02-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I just don't think it gets much better than what you sent me, Poco.. for raw (uncooked) stone to peel so cleanly is just something I've never seen before. Craig has passed me a few cooked chips but they are usually really brittle (I broke all but one piece so far) but the stuff you sent is NOT brittle at all. That stuff is great! If you find anything better than that (which I doubt) you'll really have some good resources on your hands!!