PDA

View Full Version : Mechanicals?

Ph34r
02-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Hi,

I have been hearing about these new rage broadheads. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Camp10
02-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I read reviews on them and they seem to be very mixed. I think I will stick to the g5's until I find something I like better.

hoosierarcher
02-18-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm no fan of any mechanical broadhead. The reason for this is I believe in the KISS principle of bowhunting and Murphy's Law. By going with mechanicals you're giving yourself one more thing that can go wrong with a shot on game.
That being said, I watched ALL the Rage promotional videos on their website and everywhere else I could search them out. They kept bragging about the entry wound over and over. It dawned on me that that was because that was all they got 75% or more of the time. I think I saw 4 passthroughs out of luterally over 100 shots. I shoot longbows, recurves and selfbows. I shoot bows in the upper 50s to 75 pounds of draw weight. I shoot arrows that weigh 12 - 15 grains per pound of draw weight. I shoot extreme front of center weighted arrows. At MOST I get 200 FPS some bows I shoot only shoot 179 fps and I have almost never NOT gotten a passthrough with 3 blade cut on contact broadheads. I shoot both Wensel Woodsman and Snuffer broadheads. I get them scary sharp. I bare shaft paper tune them until I get a perfect hole, then I give them only as must fletching as it requires to make them have as close to perfect flight as they can. I have shot through both gristle shields of an over 300 pound wild boar at 11 yards with a 73@29" recurve and 800 grain arrows and watched it run a mear 50 yards shooting blood out both sides like two spray cans of red paint before collapsing. That was with dogs chasing the brute in full adrenline mode.
Worry less about arrow speed and KE and more about momentum. Take the time to tune your arrows properly and shoot enough arrow weight. You'll see all kinds of benefits. You'll shoot your bow out of tune less frequently and it may stop all together. You'll shoot through more animals and see better, shorter blood trails.
I've only been shooting bows and arrows for 46 years and hunting with a bow for 37 so I'm no expert or anything.