PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Shower Curtain Liners

Ken
02-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Many of the "Dollar Stores" sell Vinyl Shower Curtain Liners for a buck. Most often, they measure 70" x 70" and have thin metal grommets at the top and magnets on the bottom. These things are a great multi-purpose item.

They're much cheaper than tarps or tyvek, although admittedly not as durable. However, they are lightweight and take up little room in their original package.

A few of their many uses include ground cover, improvised shelter from rain and sun (white colored liners) water gathering (dew and rain) and as an improvised sleeping bag cover, tent cover, or poncho.

They can also be used to cover a windshield to protect from snow and ice (not that great in a blizzard) by putting the magnetized side on the roof and wrapping the opposite side over and then under the windshield wipers for a faster cleanup after the storm.

Not a bad item to have for the cost of a dollar.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Never thought of them that way Ken...Great post!

welderguy
02-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Thats a great idea, never would of thought much use for them things. Now I am going to have to get a couple to keep on hand, Thanks for the tip.

your_comforting_company
02-17-2010, 07:18 AM
I keep a lot of old shower curtains around. They make excellent tarps for sifting ashes, or a nice ground cover for working hides and keeping trash and ground debris off. Usually there's nothing wrong with the old ones, just a little hard water, or the folks got tired of the color.
Black ones can be used to warm things up in the sunshine, i.e. emergency blanket, and I've seen lots of bright colored ones that could double as a distress flag. Handy to have around. Good thread starter!

gryffynklm
02-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks Ken, YCC, great ideas.

rebel
02-17-2010, 09:53 AM
The shower curtain has been on my hotel room survival supply list.

Ole WV Coot
02-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Used them for years and didn't think of posting them so thanks Ken. I use them for a quick drop cloth when painting a small area, covering the garage floor when tearing a motor apart, mainly protecting surfaces. I never gave it a thought about keeping one or more in the Jeep, will now.

hunter63
02-17-2010, 02:40 PM
That is a good idea.
I have used them as well, and as a matter of fact almost anything that resembles a tarps, old boat covers, hunks of visqueen, to cover wood piles, boats, drop clothes, put on back seat of truck for dog stuff protection.
Can't beat the price!

Ted
02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Lets not forget solor still!

Justin Case
02-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Good Idea ,, Thanks ,

aflineman
02-21-2010, 05:56 PM
I use them to put in the trunk of the car when I get a deer. Helps with clean-up afterward.

Rick
02-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I use them to put in the trunk of the car when I get a deer. Helps with clean-up afterward.

Wouldn't it be easier to clean the deer someplace other than in your trunk? Just wonderin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJRYWSaiRxo&feature=player_embedded#

Justin Case
02-21-2010, 06:25 PM

BIG trunk or Little Deer ? :innocent:

Sarge47
02-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Hey, they also work great to keep water from gettin all over the bathroom floor when you're taking a shower...just sayin'. :innocent:

oly
02-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Good one ken

Theluciddreamers
03-14-2010, 01:28 AM
On the subject of cheap multipurpose tarps and what not. Rite aid, (if you have one in your area) has a section called dollar days. I found a 4'x6' tarps for 3 bones. I was thinking about picking one up! A little pricier than the dollar store one, but I think it might work a little better.

crashdive123
03-14-2010, 07:17 AM
On the subject of cheap multipurpose tarps and what not. Rite aid, (if you have one in your area) has a section called dollar days. I found a 4'x6' tarps for 3 bones. I was thinking about picking one up! A little pricier than the dollar store one, but I think it might work a little better.

If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, the 4.5 X 6.5 tarps are just under $2. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30870 The link is for on-line sales, but the brick and mortar stores have them as well.

hunter63
03-14-2010, 02:22 PM
......I found a 4'x6' tarps for 3 bones.

They still take bones?
We have a couple of "Crazy Franks" outlet stores that advertise, "We sell 1000's of things for Peanuts!", but they don't take peanuts.......

Old GI
03-15-2010, 09:17 AM
No shower curtain goes to waste around my place, as well. Great things to have.

Theluciddreamers
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, the 4.5 X 6.5 tarps are just under $2. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30870 The link is for on-line sales, but the brick and mortar stores have them as well.

I guess your Harbor Freight is kinda like ACO?

canid
03-15-2010, 02:30 PM
i've seen homeless people using them in humboldt. one may was giving them away to others who looked like they weren't staying dry enough.

also: $2 tarps at harbor freight? not here. they start around $7