PDA

View Full Version : Recurve bow

Batch
02-14-2010, 04:41 PM
I have been thinking of getting another recurve bow to shoot in the backyard. I might even slap a fishing rig on one.

I don't want to break the bank with it though. Any suggestions?

I left my old recurve in my gun rack when I moved out of my parents house a long long time ago. LOL

My Dad, as is his habit, saw it sitting and assumed it was his. He gave it to my little brother to hunt with. They realize it is my bow now. But, that hasn't convinced them to give it back! :sneaky2:

Anyway, does anyone know of any good deals?

Ted
02-14-2010, 05:29 PM
The only ones I can seem to find locally are take downs around $400. No way!
Cabelas has quite a few on there web site that might interest you, starting at a little over $100

oneraindog
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
i bought a heritage impala and really like it. also look at october mountain bows.

Batch
02-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Somebody want to explain why they have take downs?

I got back into archery a few years ago with a compound. Don't know much about the options.

your_comforting_company
02-14-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't know much at all about bows, but I bought a martin jaguar takedown and it's super light, and was less than $150. I shoot instinctive with it and it hits really well. It needs a better string and some string silencers, etc. but I think it's a decent cheap bow if you just wanna get out there.
takedowns are so you can use the aluminum riser with all the attachment points and swap limbs if you wanna go higher draw, etc. (at least that's my reasoning)

crashdive123
02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
You could also pack them easier while disassembled right?

FVR
02-18-2010, 11:01 PM
You can pick up pretty nice old Bears for less than a hundred bucks.

I would check your local pawn shops, hunting season is over and they are usually pretty cheap, less than a hundred bucks.

If you want to put a fishing rig on it, get one with an insert. If you can't, don't worry as they are easy to install and cheap. Hit sites like 3 Rivers and Kustom King.

You can even get good deals on Ebay if you play your cards right.

As far as takedowns, a good one is the Bear 76er. It was a 3 piece and you can find them now and then for less than 150.00. Again, check flea markets, pawn shops, I've even lucked out at yard sales.

If you want to give the old and cheaper bows a little more zip, put a fast flight string on it. But first you will want to wrap the loops an extra wrap to prevent the string from wearing into the bow. You could always epoxy on a piece of antler or horn and sand down. The FF string will make it a bit faster, may make a little bit more noise but that can be fixed with beaver balls.

hoosierarcher
02-19-2010, 12:21 AM
I sent you a pm.

FVR
02-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Who?............

Batch
02-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Who?............

He sent me a PM.

Thanks for all the info.

My brother and I shot my old recurve for 4 hours Friday. What a blast. Much funner than drilling holes with the compounds. :)

Ted
02-21-2010, 03:24 PM
He sent me a PM.

Thanks for all the info.

My brother and I shot my old recurve for 4 hours Friday. What a blast. Much funner than drilling holes with the compounds. :)

Bet you did ,I have just never liked compounds much. I have one and they def. have some good points, like fast as hell and power full,easy to hold back,ect. But for fun fast shooting nothing beats the long and recuves!