PDA

View Full Version : wife finally understands

wareagle69
02-13-2010, 09:13 AM
so the past few years i have talked to my wife about the impotance of being prepared, her usual response is that she will rely upon me if any thing happens, well we have gone over the long drive to town many a time showing her what could happen and possible solutions.
well last week once agin unfortunatly another fatal accident on the trans canada hiway closed it again, it all depends where it happens on her route home sometimes it can be a detour, simple and sometimes might be a couple hour detour.
her options, go back to town and stay at her moms, if she can turn around, if it happens on the divided hiway there will not be much option to turn around, if it happens on the two lane then she has a better posssibilty.
but there she was caught in traffic w/o her bug out bag like i have told her to carry many a time and this was a very nasty wreck involving a semi and truck.
now she has put a bag at her moms and carries one in her truck so she has better options when this happens again.
live and learn

Rick
02-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Good for her. Sometimes a small dose of reality is a good teacher.

Ole WV Coot
02-13-2010, 10:55 AM
My wife don't either. She grumbles when we happen to take my Jeep(well stocked) complains about boots, insulated Carharts, tow chain and just about everything you can think of. If I make the mistake of asking her what she will do if she gets stuck or breaks down her stock answer is call me or someone else and she travels main roads, knows lots of folks and don't want to learn. Still complains every Sunday when I drop my 45 in the console on our way to church, cured that by telling her I just might dislike the sermon. She has always lived in safer areas while I worked in some of the worst. She's not going to change so I have to watch extra close. Picked her up at 7 Corners, VA years ago and she complained about a man hitting on her and what was I gonna do about it. I got out and in front of a hundred or so people I tucked the guy in for a nice nap. Caught it when I got back in the car and 40yrs later still haven't learned. I just keep a few things in her car, out of the way and tell her what and where they are. After 45yrs I give up.

wareagle69
02-13-2010, 11:20 AM
i ended up writing a "manuel" i guess for lack of better description of what to do in such and such scenario, she doesn't mind my preps just doesn't actively partcipate, until it happens, hopefully this is the begining of her taking a more procative approcah to this

oldsoldier
02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
What is about SOME WIVES? Mine is the same way. She doesn't want to discuss prepping. She doesn't for the most part see a need for it. She doesn't like guns. Say's if TSHTF/TEOTWAWKI she wouldn't want to survive it anyway. It took months of begging,bribeing, promising, and groveling for her to agree to a BOB for her vehicle and knowing what was in it and how to use it. She feels that if something happens it's my job to handle it. TRUE It IS my job to take care of things, It is what I have trained for in the army and as a "prepper" I guess maybe part of it is upbringing. I'm a country boy, she's a city girl....

BENESSE
02-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Here's one wife who is in charge of everything prep with a very appreciative and supporting husband but not an actively participating one.
Since we are both extremely busy and have different talents in general, we fell into this division of labor MO where we handle what we're
interested in and know best. (skiing being an exception)

We share this knowledge with each other but it's not as effective IMO as if we were both involved equally and that's frustrating.
I spend an inordinate amount of time researching, testing, reading, doing all I know to do in order to prep the smart way (given our life style)
and it's a very involved, lonely and seemingly never-ending job.

And yet Mr. B really has more experience with the basics given that he was a highly decorated cub & eagle scout :) and just "gets"
how everything works because he grew up learning hands on.
So I don't know quite what to think--be happy that he is appreciative and supportive in anything I do or ticked off
that he is not at all involved in something so vital to our lives.

Pal334
02-13-2010, 01:45 PM
My spouse grew up in Laos. She remembers the basics, starting a fire, cooking over the fire, will throttle , pluck and cook a fowl in a heart beat. up until 15 years ago or so, we would buy a pig, I would kill it, and hang it. She would do all the prep work, only throwing out the "oink" :). Now days she is (in her words) more "Americanized "(after 32 years!!!). She does not do our "prepwork" now, but has a keen nose for what foods to buy and stocked, probably as a result of growing up and knowing what hunger and hardship is.

My point being that people (not only women) are a product of their environment, and can and are dependent on their spouse to a more or lesser degree. But everyone is always teachable.

cowgirlup
02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
. Still complains every Sunday when I drop my 45 in the console on our way to church, cured that by telling her I just might dislike the sermon.

LOL!!
We both prep but differently. DH is a gear junkie. I always thought it was overkill to take the glock to church. It's a 10 minute drive and then he has to un-gear and hide it in the car too.

LOL

Sarge47
02-14-2010, 07:01 PM
My misses is into Survival Prep so well she even made a BOB for our dog! :cool2:

standingbear
02-20-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm still working on my wife about being prepared, She would ratherjust to wait and see.
I'm an old boy scout/Eagle and a leader for a few years so she mostly just grumbles about the money(She's an Accountant).
But I keep working on her and the kids and worry for all. :tongue_smilie:

Winnie
02-20-2010, 09:08 AM
My misses is into Survival Prep so well she even made a BOB for our dog! :cool2:

You will be pleased to hear the Wolfpack Mascot also has a BOB of his own :)

Chiefman
02-25-2010, 09:13 AM
My spouse understands a lot more now as compared to when I was first getting my family prepared for whatever whenever. Seeing what has happened to the economy and me opening her eyes to what is going on around us and then relating that to why I do what I do seems to have brought her more on board. I wish she read this forum and learn what I have learned from most of you guys here.

BENESSE
02-25-2010, 03:28 PM
My ex understood, I just never understood her is the problem.

At least you don't need her to survive.:)

BENESSE
02-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Nope, I kicked her to the curb, but she still comes around for you know what... I mean you know who. I guess she can't survive without me.

BTW, I couldn't survive with her so I left.

Good thing you found out before TSHTF.

TucsonMax
02-26-2010, 10:49 PM
It took my wife about 6 months to come around and now she's an active participant. I kept pointing out simple real world examples like the Haiti earthquake, the winter storms in the East, the rolling brown-outs in CA, the hurricanes in FL. The truth is, down here, natural disasters are not a worry... but she's a defense hawk (like me) and the grid, etc, is old and not hardened. Having kids at home helps too, "we're doing it for them" turns prepping it into a motherly duty.

PNW
02-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Well, as a wife that 'gets it', I have a husband that tolerates my 'hobby' grudgingly. So, in the generalization of things, not all husbands are on board with prepping.

I had to threaten to stop feeding him, before he would stop complaining about all the food we have...to anyone that would listen.

So how's that for having security destroyed, by a MAN...no less. And yeah 5 years later, I'm still steamed.

hunter63
02-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Good thing you found out before TSHTF.
LOL, LOL, good one.
Truer words were never spoken, can you imagine dealing with a SHTF with some one you can't stand?

Reminds me of this retired engineer, from my previous life.
Married for 50 plus years, he was a work-o-holic, she shopped, lunched, played cards with her friends at the club.
Their paths didn't cross much in their entire married life.

So the guy gets forced into retirement at age 70, spent his time at home, bugging the wife.
Would show up at the shop, to hang out.

His famous statement was,"You know after all these years, I don't know if I like her all that much".

BENESSE
02-27-2010, 01:05 PM
His famous statement was,"You know after all these years, I don't know if I like her all that much".

I've heard that from people whose kids left the nest. For a long time it was all about the kids--all the conversations, vacations, fights, everything.
Once the kids were gone, they were just two acquaintances living under the same roof wondering what happened.

Ken
02-27-2010, 01:15 PM
I've heard that from people whose kids left the nest. For a long time it was all about the kids--all the conversations, vacations, fights, everything.
Once the kids were gone, they were just two acquaintances living under the same roof wondering what happened.

That's why you get rid of the wife and keep the kids. Just sayin'. :innocent:

BENESSE
02-27-2010, 05:03 PM
That's why you get rid of the wife and keep the kids. Just sayin'. :innocent:

Or.....
Don't have the kids in the first place.
Just sayin'.

Ken
02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Or.....
Just sayin'.

What if your mom and dad thought that way? :innocent:

BENESSE
02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
What if your mom and dad thought that way? :innocent:

They did ask the same thing.
My response was that if one isn't prepared to sacrifice and do what it takes to be the best parent they can be, one has no business procreating.

BENESSE
02-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Good thing they made the decision they did, or 2dumb would have no purpose in life. :innocent:

Or you without him, don't care what you say.:)

Ken
02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Or you without him, don't care what you say.:)

:sneaky2:

2dumb2kwit
02-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Or.....
Just sayin'.

They did ask the same thing.
My response was that if one isn't prepared to sacrifice and do what it takes to be the best parent they can be, one has no business procreating.

I'm with ya, B.
I don't have any. (Well...unless you count the four legged one.) LOL

BENESSE
02-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm wwith ya, B.
I don't have any. (Well...unless you count the four legged one.) LOL

That's the kind that will never disappoint you.

roar-k
02-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Ugh, I am trying to convince my fiance` to join in, but she thinks I am crazy. I have quite a few packs/bags I am trying to get in order for our cars and house and she just complains that I have too many.

Wait till I start trying to get her fitted for her handgun and knives....

I may just have to pick a few and ask her which she thinks is cute....

2dumb2kwit
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Ugh, I am trying to convince my fiance` to join in, but she thinks I am crazy. I have quite a few packs/bags I am trying to get in order for our cars and house and she just complains that I have too many.

Wait till I start trying to get her fitted for her handgun and knives....

I may just have to pick a few and ask her which she thinks is cute....

LOL...Be careful!!!:innocent:
(Yes, it's a real AR!)

hunter63
02-27-2010, 09:15 PM
LOL...Be careful!!!:innocent:
(Yes, it's a real AR!)

OMG
Now that is CUTE!
This is my rifle, matches my nails...........
(shaking head, what the gun world coming too...)

Rick
02-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Yeah, the last trip to the range my wife handled some .38s.

"Ooh. I like the pink one," she said.

"Yeah, that will instill fear and panic in the bad guys," I told her.

Dirty look.

Ole WV Coot
02-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm sure a pink firearm would strike fear into the local hoodlums around here. Might work, sure they would laugh themselves to death

Rick
02-28-2010, 12:52 PM
His wife is so ugly he takes her to work each day so he doesn't have to kiss her goodbye.

His wife is so ugly when she sits on the beach cats try to bury her.

His wife is so ugly when she throws a boomerang it refuses to come back.