PDA

View Full Version : Chopsticks

neondog
02-13-2010, 01:41 AM
They won't save your life but knowing how to use them can make roughing it a little more enjoyable.

It's a lot easier and faster to whittle up a pair of sticks than it is to carve a fork and you can do things with chopsticks you can't do with a fork like grab an uninvited bug off the top of the stew that's cooking.

hoosierarcher
02-13-2010, 04:51 AM
I've known how to use chopsticks since I was a teenager. Everytime I eat in an Asian restaurant the folks that work there almost always comment on my skill level. Rhen they see I don't have round eyes and ask if I'm part Asian of some sort. I explain my Native American ancestry is the reason. Anyway I have whittled out a set in the woods and fellow hikers going past my camp have always said something about how good an idea they were.

canid
02-13-2010, 10:54 AM
yes, its hard to beat the handy factor, since they are made, with almost no modification from material the forests are made of.

Ole WV Coot
02-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree and probably most people have used them. Simple, easy to use, can't beat that.

dbldrew
Why not just use your hands? I know in society it unacceptable to “eat like and animal” but if your living like an animal why not eat like one? I can shovel food faster down my throat using my hands then I can use a fork, spoon or chopsticks. :munchies:

preachtheWORD
When I am eating in the woods I usually find a forked birch twig and made a sort of fork by peeling and sharpening it. It works remarkably well and takes less than 30 seconds.

I can sorta use chopsticks, but when I have had to use straight sticks I have used them more like skewers. But these days I usually have my hobo tool with me.

hunter63
02-13-2010, 12:15 PM
LOL, I think chop sticks were invented by the Chinese to just make us look bad.

Hard to eat soup, kinda runs off.

I'm kinda a finger/knife/sipper, kind of guy.

Why waste time wittling a stick, when you get done fooling around with them, just pick it up and eat it. (do make good kindling)

Ole WV Coot
02-13-2010, 04:36 PM
LOL, I think chop sticks were invented by the Chinese to just make us look bad.

Hard to eat soup, kinda runs off.

I'm kinda a finger/knife/sipper, kind of guy.

Why waste time wittling a stick, when you get done fooling around with them, just pick it up and eat it. (do make good kindling)

This is a guess, but I am betting you were in a Chinese restaurant and someone with you stabbed themselves with a chopstick and embarrassed you so bad you dropped a handful of mashed taters.:innocent:

Runs With Beer
02-19-2010, 12:23 AM
I think with a little work you could make fire with them.

neondog
02-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Why not just use your hands? I know in society it unacceptable to “eat like and animal” but if your living like an animal why not eat like one? I can shovel food faster down my throat using my hands then I can use a fork, spoon or chopsticks. :munchies:

I might be eating like an animal myself for the first 24 to 48 hours but by the end of wk. one, I plan on getting comfortable.

Batch
02-20-2010, 03:25 PM
They won't save your life but knowing how to use them can make roughing it a little more enjoyable.

It's a lot easier and faster to whittle up a pair of sticks than it is to carve a fork and you can do things with chopsticks you can't do with a fork like grab an uninvited bug off the top of the stew that's cooking.

I have scooped bugs with a spoon. I am pretty sure i could do it with a fork as well. Chop sticks, fork, spoon, fingers or what ever. I don't care how I am eating, only THAT I am eating! :)

Tripwire
03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Just don't put them in your hair girls, the Asians think its rude, they don't wear forks in their hair.

When my wife goes to the field, she takes chop sticks and a spoon (which she calls a scoop).

Her Grandma taught her how to cook using them. Its educational to watch her.

If you get the Korean style metal ones, they have a bunch of good uses.

Alaskan Survivalist
03-06-2010, 12:52 PM
In my lightest field kit I carry a cut down pack grill, a Jumbo Sierra Cup and CHOPSICKS. The Sierra cup is the thing that really pulls it all together making it practical.

ytram
03-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Korean metal chopsticks "Oh yes" the real thin ones she does I don't.
I did use them over there at her familys just not to be rude they are a pain when you have big hands even small hands and a touch of arthirtis or good hands.
I like the short round ones and I do have them in my pack.
Try eating "Me-yuk" seaweed soup with them and the long wide tea spoon and you might say no way i wouldn't eat that but I'd eat that before I'd eat beets,grits or hominy.
Oh and if you do ever eat at a Korean restraunt or with Korean's it is ok to pick the bowl and tip it up to your mouth and drink from it to finish off the soup your eating or pour some water in it and drink from it.

welderguy
03-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Korean metal chopsticks "Oh yes" the real thin ones she does I don't.
I did use them over there at her familys just not to be rude they are a pain when you have big hands even small hands and a touch of arthirtis or good hands.
I like the short round ones and I do have them in my pack.
Try eating "Me-yuk" seaweed soup with them and the long wide tea spoon and you might say no way i wouldn't eat that but I'd eat that before I'd eat beets,grits or hominy.
Oh and if you do ever eat at a Korean restraunt or with Korean's it is ok to pick the bowl and tip it up to your mouth and drink from it to finish off the soup your eating or pour some water in it and drink from it.

Hi ytram, Thanks for that Korean dining etiquette , now could ya head over to this link http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 and give us an intro please.

Alaskan Survivalist
03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
I thought I would elaborate for chopstick challenged survivalists:

Grip bottom stick between middle finger and bridge of hand using lower portion of thumb to hold it stationary. The top stick is pinned against fore finger with tip of thumb.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0171.jpg

The tip of thumb serves as hinge and Raising fore finger up or down will close or open stick. Bottom stick remains stationary.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0172.jpg

Combine that with a Jumbo Sierra cup and you have an ultra light cook kit. The Sierra cup can be used as pot bowl dish and cup. Food can be easily scooped into mouth or drink right from it.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0170.jpg

To complete my cook kit I have a pack grill that I cut down to fit in my fanny pack that is great for placing Sierra cup on or grilling fish right on it. No need to carry fuel so it's light and will operate indefinately for survival needs. Just build a fire under it.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1033.jpg

I like my ultra light gear to be functional or it is not worth carrying and this combo is.

JamieScott
08-21-2013, 05:04 AM
I feel more comfortable using my personalized chopstick than fork in eating Chinese foods. I've been using chopsticks for 2 years now.

2crows
08-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Five years in Japan as a kid. Chopsticks are second nature. I prefer the wooden ones though.