PDA

View Full Version : The Atlatl

Smok
11-20-2007, 05:11 AM
So the Atlatle is easily to make ??? Please go here and read www.atlatl.com/article1.html have Fun ...:D

Beo
11-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Seen them seems kinda hard to master, but challenging.

survivalhike
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
I'll stick with my .45 Long Colt. In a pinch I would try building something, or just for giggles, but my recommendation is to have a gun in your survival kit.

I decided this after building a really crappy bow and arrow...I mean reeeeeeally crappy. I would have killed myself with this thing before I killed anything else.

Sarge47
11-20-2007, 12:06 PM
I'll stick with my .45 Long Colt. In a pinch I would try building something, or just for giggles, but my recommendation is to have a gun in your survival kit.

I decided this after building a really crappy bow and arrow...I mean reeeeeeally crappy. I would have killed myself with this thing before I killed anything else.

Not nessasarily the best advice for everyone, SH. I'd advise caution on advising firearms, particularly handguns, for "everyone". Here in Illinois there are a lot of laws regarding the use and carrying of handguns, especially in State Parks. (We did a thread on that awhile back, BTW.):cool:

survivalhike
11-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm sorry. I make the mistake sometimes of thinking that it's still America in ALL the states, not just mine. Arguably a rifle is a much better survival tool than a handgun anyway, but it's still more effective than chucking a spear. Hunting in general is much less effective than trapping. In a pinch you really want to have snare material that you can use because once you set them it's like having several hunters waiting to catch you a meal while you attend to other things.

trax
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
We've had threads on both, that atlatl thing and firearms... plenty on firearms. I'm certainly not going to tell someone not to pack a firearm, I've used one all my life so that would be pretty hypocritical of me, but doesn't it make sense to figure out what kind of situations you're getting into, know the laws of those areas and prepare accordingly?

The atlatl for instance, makes sense to me to make one at home and practice like crazy until you're competent with it than heading off into the bush and needing one and not knowing how to use it. The same is true with bows, guns, knives, whatever.

The idea of a bunch of half-assed yahoos with no safety training running around firing guns in the bush scares me waaaaaaaaaay more than anything that's living out there. The same stands for anything else that can kill animals, it can kill me too.

Sarge47
11-20-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry. I make the mistake sometimes of thinking that it's still America in ALL the states, not just mine. Arguably a rifle is a much better survival tool than a handgun anyway, but it's still more effective than chucking a spear. Hunting in general is much less effective than trapping. In a pinch you really want to have snare material that you can use because once you set them it's like having several hunters waiting to catch you a meal while you attend to other things.

I lived in Colorado for about 8 years and I love their gun laws, or rather, lack of them. A firearm is okay, but disscussion of that probably should go under the "Survival Rifle" thread. The problem with any firearm in a survival situation that I see is that , 1st, the person needs to know what they're doing in handling, loading and shooting said weapon; 2nd, the effectiveness of any firearm is in direct proportion to the skill of the shooter: 3rd, the proper licenses are in place; (here in Illinois you have a hunting license and several "add-on" stamps not to mention the mandatory FOID card.); and, 4th, the amount of ammo available, & the time period of the survival situation.:cool:

FVR
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
The atlatl is a pretty effective weapon. I made a thrower in about 5 min., and a quick cut of bamboo I had 6 darts. Once you get that hang of it, it's easy and I would not hesitate if I had been practicing to take a shot out to 40 yards. If ya hit the critter with the dart and the big spearhead, it will die.

There is a big competition one exit south on 75 every year, a knap in, atlatl comp., bow building, trading get together. Nice place to go and learn a bit, even the knappers have gotten nicer over the years. For awhile they were butt heads if you asked questions.

Survival weapon, sticking to my 12 ga. shotgun. Screw it, I'll carry the extra weight in shells.

survivalhike
11-20-2007, 06:08 PM
I wasn't making fun of the atlatl or the use of primitive weaponry, I was rather giving an alternative.

But it is nice to see FVR hop on the gun bandwagon!

FVR
11-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Survivalhike,

I can make bows, knives, spears, arrowheads, axes out of what mother nature gives me.

I prefer the gun.

Missed a nice size rabbit yesterday with my selfbow. Hunting thickets in the pines. Now, if I had my trusty shotgun with no.6's, I'd be eating rabbit. I'm left scratching my sticker wounds.

Don't get me wrong, I loves the bow and arrow. I have killed more critters with a bow than with a gun, but it's alot harder and a bit more time consuming.

Now, if there was a little snow on the ground, I'd be eat'n arrow stuck wabbit.

STB
11-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey guys
those atlatls seem very interesting. I was wondering if there you could make these here in Canada. I was wathcing a video on it, and he was making 6' long darts out of "cane" i assume sugar cane, or maybe bamboo. not to sure whatelse i would be making the darts out of. Im guessing the handhold could be made out of any type of wood, but any good ones for the darts? And do you guys like these more then bow and arrows? which would be more useful in the bush. thanks

Smok
11-23-2007, 12:52 AM
the cane may be river cane and with practice I would say the atlatls is batter then the bow but thats just me . any strait light wood well work

FVR
11-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Here is a good Atlatl site.

http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm68

gordy
04-05-2011, 07:36 AM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNbwPVFkSc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNbwPVFkSc")

A stone age people that use this weapon even today, to hunt. The Woomera, is what they call it. The Australian aborigine are real experts at using this weapon for hunting.

Old thread, but I thought people may want to see how the ancients used it, for real.