PDA

View Full Version : Bronze Dagger?

ibosserman
02-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I have a bronze dagger that I am interested in trying to identify. My wife and I were at the Spoon River Drive in Illinois and came across a knife seller. He had a pile of old rusty knives that I was digging through and happened to find this piece. The man told me he found it in his grandfathers basement along with some old junk. He said his grandfather collected all sorts of different things and he wasnt sure what or where it came from. If anyone has any info to this dagger it would be of much use to me. I would like to know what culture it comes from and when it was made.

rebel
02-08-2010, 11:44 PM
If it had a thong I'd say Ricktonian.

Rick
02-08-2010, 11:57 PM
If it had a thong, it wouldn't be holding its hands like that.

ibosserman
02-09-2010, 12:04 AM
thanks for the info. lol:tongue_smilie:

rebel
02-09-2010, 12:05 AM
If it had a thong, it wouldn't be holding its hands like that.

Yea, what's up w/ that? OOOOHHHH my arms are too short!

Rick
02-09-2010, 12:11 AM
You got yer dagger and your dragger. Careful which one your grabbin there, bub.

Rick
02-09-2010, 12:15 AM
If you're close to a larger university. SIU Edwardsville, U of I, etc. you might give them a call. Their antiquities department might be able to help with the knife. I don't know why folks don't keep a written record of things like that if they know. What it is, where you bought it, when, how much you paid. It all adds to the value.

I have some items my wife's uncle brought back from China at the end of WWII. He was a colonel in charge of repatriating the American troops back home. He sent a letter with each item he sent home. The letter details everything about the piece. Many he commissioned to have made and you'd never know the kind of details about the piece without his forethought. If you have something unusual or unique then document as much information about it as you can.

ibosserman
02-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Im glad someone had something to say about it that helps a little. Yeah I will check there. We live by ISU. That will be my first stop on this quest in search of knowledge.

crashdive123
02-09-2010, 12:28 AM
I've done some searching. I know very little about daggers and even less about bronze ones. I did find that is quite an interest in replicas. I've got no idea if yours is old/valuable, but it reminded me of the dagger used in the movier The Shadow.

ibosserman
02-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Do you have a site for that movie?

Rick
02-09-2010, 12:33 AM
It might be a late reproduction but it could be an older knife. The handle strikes me as middle eastern for some reason.

crashdive123
02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Here's a picture of the dagger from that movie. Remember - I said it reminded me of it, not that it looked like it. And of course, this one came alive.

http://www.artemar.es/tienda/images/daggerdaga4128l.jpg

Rick
02-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Oh that freaky thing. Yeah, I remember that.

ibosserman
02-09-2010, 12:51 AM
yeah i have seen that one before.