PDA

View Full Version : motor oil on blade ... ?

Hamza
11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Greetings,

It is I once more! Apologies if i'm annoying people on the forum with my questions, but i like it ... :D anyhow, i was talking to a guy i know about keeping a knife blade from rusting, and he told me to apply motor oil to the blade .. so i thought to myself, hmm, i must ask the wolf pack! so here i'm .. asking! what is the best oil to use in order to keep the blade from rusting? and lastly, how often do i apply the oil to be blade?

- Thank you all -

FVR
11-19-2007, 10:00 PM
I can honestly say that I've never in all my life had problems with my knife blades rusting. The biggest no no is to put your knife back in the sheath wet or have a wet sheath.

I've used my MKII Kabar while diving off the Pacific coast on many occasions and never had a problem with rust. When ya come out of the water, dry your knife. If you want to rub a little oil on it, fine. I use either cooking oil or bore butter. Bore butter works best and smells like ben gay, kind of get used to it. Also works good on a guns wood finish.

Don't use anything that you would not want to taste.

Another good lube is to use your knife to cut up hog meat. Hog fat really protects nicely.

carcajou garou
11-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Motor oil has all kinds of cleaners and additives, not good. I use mineral oil or clove oil as long as it is ingestible. A light coat, just wiped on not dripping.

ruleoffire
11-20-2007, 12:55 AM
i agree with using mineral oil, as that would be the oil you would use to sharpen the knife. i use mineral oil for a tin of stuff, best part is you can get it at most grocery stores (butcher block oil). also, if your knife has a leather sheath its not a bad idea to use a little of this oil directly on the sheath. ive had problems with knives that have been passed in my family with leather sheaths, so keep'em oiled.

Beo
11-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Motor oil is a bad choice, if you gotta skin an animal the oil would ruin the meat and hide not mention taste really bad. While I don't have a problem with rusting on my knives I have restored a rusted knife or two in my time for friends.

trax
11-20-2007, 11:41 AM
It shouldn't be necessary to use any kind of oil if you take care of the knife. A light oil is good when you're using a coarse sharpening stone.

Sarge47
11-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Motor oil bad! Dry is good! I have many knives, not one of them has ever gotten rusty on me and I never use any type of oil. I just keep them clean & dry. However if you use a knife with moist food and don't clean it off ASAP you can have problems. One important camping/survival item is a bandana. This little piece of fabric has many uses, one of which can be as a "dish-towel", wiping your knife dry immediately after using it, then sheathing it.
Also, the knife sharpener you showed earlier with the ceramic rods don't really sharpen the blade, just re-align the microscopic teeth. A good "steel" can do the same thing if you keep the angle right as well as the "stroking" direction which is the opposite of the direction you used on the honing stone. Stone for sharpening, steel/ceramic for touching up the re-alignment. OK?:cool:

trax
11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
that's why I mentioned about the material being important.

MCBushbaby
11-21-2007, 12:40 PM
my cold steel SRK has a teflon costing on the blade 'cept for the cutting edge so I just run it a few times on my camp candle and it stays rust-free. Same would work for unguarded blades, you'd just run out of candle faster :)