PDA

View Full Version : The Preamble to The Bill of Rights

Ken
02-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Most of us are familiar with the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States. Many of us long ago memorized the words........

The Preamble to The Constitution of the United States

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

However, a second "Preamble" was written soon thereafter. This Preamble is little known and almost never quoted. Yet, the words and plain meaning of the little known "Preamble to The Bill of Rights" clearly demonstrate our Founding Fathers' concern about the potential for abuse of powers by the then newly formed federal government. Here it is. It's worth reading and thinking about - especially today:

"The Preamble to The Bill of Rights

Congress of the United States begun and held at the City of New-York, on Wednesday the fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all, or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz. ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution."

Ole WV Coot
02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Kinda looks like division of power and checks & balances just tip the scales one way now. Guess all that swag is heavy enough to tip the scales.

Pal334
02-06-2010, 04:54 PM
THey were some pretty savvy fellows

hoosierarcher
02-06-2010, 05:09 PM
The Best and the brightest of their generation thought it their sacred duty to establish, protect and defend that most reverred of documents, The Constitution of The United States of America. The Best and Brightest of our generation(if we really have any) have little honor, as a general rule, and use their talents to do nothing but acquire wealth, power and status. Almost no teenager I have asked even knew what "duty" meant. And only knew of the word honor in terms of honoring a debt or promise. It seems we're circling in the bowl of the toilet of History.

Rick
02-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't know, HA, The VA is filled with men and women of grit at the moment. They will carry their duty for the rest of their lives in the form of prosthesis and scares.

crashdive123
02-06-2010, 07:23 PM
The Best and the brightest of their generation thought it their sacred duty to establish, protect and defend that most reverred of documents, The Constitution of The United States of America. The Best and Brightest of our generation(if we really have any) have little honor, as a general rule, and use their talents to do nothing but acquire wealth, power and status. Almost no teenager I have asked even knew what "duty" meant. And only knew of the word honor in terms of honoring a debt or promise. It seems we're circling in the bowl of the toilet of History.

I disagree. I know what you are saying, but the best and brightest do not hold political office, so there is still hope.

Pal334
02-06-2010, 08:24 PM
THese men and women that serve this generation with their lives and blood are our heritage!!! They always have been and always will be. In my opinion to even compare them to politicians does not do them justice. Inspite of what is happening, their legacy should be as much a matter of national pride as "The greatest generation" was during and after WWII.

"It seems we're circling in the bowl of the toilet of History." Is only not accurate, it discounts what these fine people are doing and when they return what they will do.

LowKey
02-07-2010, 12:43 AM
I don't think HR means our generation of fighters, but rather those left at home to watch the house while they are away....