PDA

View Full Version : The signifigance of the 3 day BOB?

hunter63
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
We have discussed "The rule of three's" as far as needs go.
•3 minutes without air
•3 hours without shelter
•3 days without water
•3 weeks without food
•3 months without hope

Why do you think that the suggested prep's by FEMA and other's seem to favor 3 days as a target.

Plan to carry 3 days worth?
How far can you get in three days?
How long it takes the general populace to get ugly?
Three days before the Govment comes to save you? or road block you so you can't get in the way?

Seems to me that depending on how you pack, maybe a week to two week seems more reasonable and do able.
Thoughts?

crashdive123
02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Their thought process, I believe is, it will be three days before the government will be there to help you.

My thought process is just a wee bit different, hence a six month supply minimum. I prefer they leave me alone when times are good. My preferences do not really change when times are not.

Rick
02-05-2010, 03:41 PM
FEMA has the responsibility to support everyone across the country. That means places like New York City and Parump, Nevada or Sunrise, Alaska so their recommendations not only cover wide differences in population but also wide differences in geography. Three days might be more than enough for one group and woefully short for another. That's why they suggest educating yourself on the type of disasters you may be subject to.

I don't think it's valid to extract one component from their overall plan and dissect it. Their web site is quite good and offers a ton of information and suggestions. I think if everyone followed even the minimum suggestions they offer there would be a lot less folks at risk.

Just my .02 worth.

http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/assemble_disaster_supplies_kit.shtm

mcgyver
02-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I prefer they leave me alone when times are good. My preferences do not really change when times are not.

Oooh, I like that!
Do you mind if I plagiarize that?
:sailor:

trax
02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Oooh, I like that!
Do you mind if I plagiarize that?
:sailor:

oh yeah, like he could stop you now? LOL.

Camp10
02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
3 days is perfect for me! I have a great supply both here and at a place north of here but my BOB is only meant to get me from one to the other. I have no real emergency plan though when it comes to natural disasters oddly enough but I dont really need one because I will be living at work until things are back to normal. :)

Sarge47
02-05-2010, 05:58 PM
We have discussed "The rule of three's" as far as needs go.
•3 minutes without air
•3 hours without shelter
•3 days without water
•3 weeks without food
•3 months without hope

Here's one I added on! 3 of anything: 3 gunshots, 3 signal fires, 3 whistle blasts, etc.; is an recognized signal for "Mayday!" :cool2:

Rick
02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I dont really need one because I will be living at work

Assuming the place still exists, right?

2dumb2kwit
02-05-2010, 06:11 PM
For me, I think three days is about how long the hangover would last, from being drunk enough to think I needed to bug-out.:blushing:

hunter63
02-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Here's one I added on! 3 of anything: 3 gunshots, 3 signal fires, 3 whistle blasts, etc.; is an recognized signal for "Mayday!" :cool2:
Good point, but normally when I hear 3 gunshots, I assuming missed animal, or 2 expensive/noisy misses.
At least during the day.

trax
02-05-2010, 06:13 PM
For me, I think three days is about how long the hangover would last, from being drunk enough to think I needed to bug-out.:blushing:

so 2dumb, how you gonna recognize it from any other day?

BENESSE
02-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Their thought process, I believe is, it will be three days before the government will be there to help you.

My thought process is just a wee bit different, hence a six month supply minimum. I prefer they leave me alone when times are good. My preferences do not really change when times are not.

Crash are you actually carrying 6 months worth of supplies in your BOB?
(including food)

Rick
02-05-2010, 06:29 PM
He is a big guy and he wears cargo pants with extra pockets.

Batch
02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Atleast down here folks ignore 3 shots.

You better have a little better plan than that.

crashdive123
02-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Crash are you actually carrying 6 months worth of supplies in your BOB?
(including food)

While what Rick says is true, my comments were meant to address the question in the original post
Why do you think that the suggested prep's by FEMA and other's seem to favor 3 days as a target.I'm more of a bug in than bug out type person. Actually I'm more of a bug killing type person - but that's for another discussion. However, the way I have my supplies stored, I can have a six month supply of food in the vehicle and headed down the road very quickly.

Camp10
02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Assuming the place still exists, right?

Yeah, I suppose. Being a lineman though, I would guess that only the trucks would have to make it and they would find a new office to run the storm out of.

I have no interest in being postumously recognized as a hero. I think that I would work through any natural disaster regardless of the sacrifices to my personal comfort :innocent: but if you start talking about attacks or marshal law, etc then I am out of here!

SARKY
02-06-2010, 12:05 AM
You forgot 3 seconds without atmosphere.
My BOB is a 10 day to 2 week bag. Not including whatever i catch or foriage. I'm good for 9 months of bugging in comfortably. Then maybe another month or so on short rations.

BENESSE
02-06-2010, 12:11 AM
You forgot 3 seconds without atmosphere.

I can hold my breath for 2 min.
Is that what you meant?

SARKY
02-06-2010, 12:48 PM
No Miss Benesse, I meant the vacum of space where your internal fluids would boil in about 3 seconds.

BENESSE
02-06-2010, 12:56 PM
No Miss Benesse, I meant the vacum of space where your internal fluids would boil in about 3 seconds.

Don't mean to go simple on you Sarky, I still don't understand under what circumstances that would happen. A fire, maybe?

crashdive123
02-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Not to speak for Sarky, but ---- while accurate, I think there may have been a wee bit of humor intended in that post. There are occasions on planet earth where the same phenomenon can occur if you are not careful. An example would be scuba diving with swimmers goggles on instead of a dive mask. With the mask, as you descend, you can equalize the pressure in the air space of the mask. With the goggles you cannot. The things in the higher pressure area will try and "occupy" the things in the lower pressure area (read - your eyeballs will fill that space if you can withstand the pain and go deep enough).

Rick
02-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Oh, well, Yuck...one more time. So, if you have gas? Just askin'.

hoosierarcher
02-06-2010, 07:02 PM
My BOB is actually infinite. It contains what I need to live off the land for the foreseeable future. A base camp water filter instead of water, fishing and trapping gear as well as some food, books on medicinal plants as well as medications. Winter and Summer clothes and blankets/sleep gear.

crashdive123
02-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh, well, Yuck...one more time. So, if you have gas? Just askin'.

Not a good thing when you dive. You quickly learn to avoid foods that produce it before a dive.

Rick
02-06-2010, 08:16 PM
And all this time I thought those things were depth charges. I guess they were really dive charges.

SARKY
02-07-2010, 01:28 AM
I'll make it simple for everyone. As you know when you boil water at an altitude higher than sea level, the water actually starts boiling at a lower temp. Well in space there is no pressure on your body and before you lose all of you body heat to space, your body's temp will be enough to boil all the fluids in your body.
There is a similar physics experiment we did in high school.

Rick
02-07-2010, 10:44 AM

I'll bet there were a lot of volunteers for THAT one.

BENESSE
02-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I'll make it simple for everyone. As you know when you boil water at an altitude higher than sea level, the water actually starts boiling at a lower temp. Well in space there is no pressure on your body and before you lose all of you body heat to space, your body's temp will be enough to boil all the fluids in your body.

Dang it Sarky!
Now you've gone and ruined my one good bug out plan.
I was fixin' to launch myself into orbit as soon as TSHTF.

Batch
02-07-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm putting instructions on how not to get into outer space in my bag...

crashdive123
02-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Dang it Sarky!
Now you've gone and ruined my one good bug out plan.
I was fixin' to launch myself into orbit as soon as TSHTF.

Apparently Ralph has already tried that with Alice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCv6b96OK0

SARKY
02-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble.
I do have a question though, How many of you who have a BOB /72 hour kit, have it set up to only last 72 hours?

hunter63
02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I do have a question though, How many of you who have a BOB /72 hour kit, have it set up to only last 72 hours?,

Atta boy, brave man, OMG, back to the subject.

Any way, our GOOD's are good for a week on convenient ready to eat stuff, plus water/water purification, 3 underwear/socks changes, 1 shirt/pants, first aid/toiletries etc.
One at home packed, (other preps stored), and similar packs in each vehicle.
Rations based on: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago104.html

Also packed are clothing gear bags, one each, also used as basic travel bags.
Also has knife, multi tools, fire starters, flashlights, first aid/toiletries, spare gym shoes, glasses, cash etc.

I would say Bug In 3-6 mouths, Bug Out w/vehicles 2 weeks+ w/out much harder but still 7-10 days.
This is not a complete list, just a general example of what we are planned for at this time.

IMO 72 hrs is good start, which I believe is a reasonable target number for Joe Blow sheeple who couldn't even get thru the day, let alone 72 hrs with out some thing prepped.

Most any one here can do a lot better, with less supplies.
Now this is assuming that we aren't headed into outer space, diving in to the lake, near by nuke/asteroid strike.

If that's necessary, we are screwed, the old:
"Go to southeast corner of your building, sit down, remove shart objects from your pockets, put your head between your knees and kiss you a$$ good-by", drill, might apply.

Batch
02-07-2010, 05:11 PM
If that's necessary, we are screwed, the old:
"Go to southeast corner of your building, sit down, remove shart objects from your pockets, put your head between your knees and kiss you a$$ good-by", drill, might apply.

South East? Thats uh... lets see... Awe man! The batteries are dead in the GPS. Can't find my a$$ without a GPS.:brickwall:

hunter63
02-07-2010, 05:18 PM
South East? Thats uh... lets see... Awe man! The batteries are dead in the GPS. Can't find my a$$ without a GPS.:brickwall:

LOL, don't worry about it, will be over before you know it.

BENESSE
02-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I do have a question though, How many of you who have a BOB /72 hour kit, have it set up to only last 72 hours?

Since you axed...
Mine/ours is set up for 2+ weeks/ea.--meaning:
2wks. of food before we have to scrounge elsewhere.
1 week of H2O before we have to find an alternate source to treat/purify, etc.
tools to fish/hunt/'set up shop".
All carried in the BOB. On foot. No caches. No BOV. No retreat. No friends/family to shack up with. Just us and destiny.
However...
We're more prepared to stay put in the city. We ain't getting out unless we have to.
After all, when all the dust settles, you clowns are gonna need a fun place to visit.
And we'll be here to entertain.

SARKY
02-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I grew up in the big apple. My favorite ride was the Staten Island Ferry, $.10 for a round trip ride past Lady Liberty. My favorite night was late Dec. 30 at Times Square when they do the test dropping of the ball ( No damm crowds).

rwc1969
02-07-2010, 11:06 PM

So, would they be safe to drink?

BENESSE
02-07-2010, 11:57 PM
I grew up in the big apple. My favorite ride was the Staten Island Ferry, $.10 for a round trip ride past Lady Liberty. My favorite night was late Dec. 30 at Times Square when they do the test dropping of the ball ( No damm crowds).

It's a magic place, I don't care what anyone says.
When I'm here it gets on my nerves, when I'm away, I can't wait to get back.
Go figure.

finallyME
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Don't forget your body trying to equalize pressure. In other words, your body will probably explode before your fluids boil. :splat:

Batch
02-08-2010, 07:09 PM
So we have to put space suits in our BOBs and then we have to be really good at putting them on quickly.

Ready? GO! One, Two, BOOOOSH!!!

Not good enough lets start all over... :innocent:

Rick
02-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Did Kirk explode? I don't think so. How about Spock or McCoy? Noooooooooo. This whole, "Oh, be careful! You're going to explode in space and your blood will boil", is just one more corporate wives tale designed to exploit us and make money. If it's not the politicians telling us to duct tape ourselves with plastic sheeting so we don't explode it's some corporate mouth piece selling us a bill of goods on the latest space suit.

BENESSE
02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Did Kirk explode? I don't think so. How about Spock or McCoy? Noooooooooo. This whole, "Oh, be careful! You're going to explode in space and your blood will boil", is just one more corporate wives tale designed to exploit us and make money. If it's not the politicians telling us to duct tape ourselves with plastic sheeting so we don't explode it's some corporate mouth piece selling us a bill of goods on the latest space suit.

Not so fast twinks!
Obviously Sarky knows something we don't.

Rick
02-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Let's get this straight. If you're running around with the name Space Cadet you can pretty much assume there's going to be trouble in space. Okay?

Did you ever see Will Robinson explode? Of course not. How about Penny.:creepy: (hubba hubba)

BENESSE
02-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Let's get this straight. If you're running around with the name Space Cadet you can pretty much assume there's going to be trouble in space. Okay? )

Yeah, space between the ears.