PDA

View Full Version : knife rust

explodingearth
11-19-2007, 03:06 PM
how can i keep my knife from rusting long term in the bush? not having any oil? any natural oils i can use

MedicineWolf
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
NEVR-DULL (correct spelling) has always worked well for me. ;) I use it to remove rust and prevent further rusting but I never have much rusting execpt very light the more its in use and kept dry the less chance of rust.
Also natural oils such as Rose Hip Oil and Safflower Oil works well and the Safflower is oderless.

MCBushbaby
11-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Just keep it dry, common sense :)

Don't store it long-term in its sheath, in a basement, or outdoors.

explodingearth
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Just keep it dry, common sense :)

Don't store it long-term in its sheath, in a basement, or outdoors.

im saying if i AM long term outdoors...

trax
11-19-2007, 03:40 PM
make sure you clean and dry it after every use. If you get nicks in the edge, work them out with a stone (or file if they're bad enough, but I shudder at using a file on a knife edge)

explodingearth
11-19-2007, 03:58 PM
trax is a small criss crossed metal tool good for a sharpener? like this one... http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/jo/john-lewis-knife-sharpener.jpg

marberry
11-19-2007, 05:29 PM
after your done with ur fire rug the blade with the wood ashes.

trax
11-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Specially for someone inexperienced with sharpening because the important thing is to have the angle of your edge right on and you can do it with that thing (I think). the other important thing is what material is the sharpener made from, files are generally too harsh and you wind up peeling big chunks of the edge off of your knife. If you use a flat edged sharpener, diamond of Arkansas stone are my personal favorites, but you might get a thousand different responses to that, it'll take a little practice and you might scratch up a knife blade a bit, but you'll get accustomed to finding that angle (between 10 and 20 degrees, depending on the knife) and you'll get really accustomed to just touching it up in no time. the two key things remain though, the angle and the material of the sharpener.

MCBushbaby
11-19-2007, 05:51 PM
You can also use sandstone for a rough sharpening tool. It beats most other rocks you'll find in the bush and if you are in an area like the U.P. you can find them everywhere.

trax
11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Good point, Mitch

Beo
11-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Arkansas stones makes a sharpening ston that is two sided with course and fine stones on each side. For sharpening out nics and burs it works great.

trax
11-20-2007, 11:20 AM
What Beo said, use the coarse side first, then the hard side for finishing.