PDA

View Full Version : Best Tasting Mountain House Freeze Dry

sjj
02-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Best tasting Mountain House offerings?

oldsoldier
02-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Most my Mountain House freeze dried foods are in the big cans and I just don't open them up and use regularly since they are for LONG term storage.

I decided to get some of the foil packs that have 2 servings each to add to preparedness kits - something lighter than MREs. I just picked up a case of Mountain House Chili/noodles and a case of beef w/noodles on discount at Sam's Club. I tired one of each. I like the beef/noodles but the Chile/noodles was just so so.

Its been awhile since I've tried the different Mountain House offerings. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Their spagetti isn't bad, and the scrambled eggs/bacon is pretty good also

Mischief
02-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Lasagna with Meat Sauce, in the Pro-Pak

Scratch
02-04-2010, 07:13 AM
i bought some but did try them. They are for my BOB.

SJJ - Do you mind if i ask what you paid per pack for the 2 serving packs?

crashdive123
02-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I have a fairly large variety of them on hand. I use them from time to time, but they are mostly for long term storage. While some are better than others, I haven't found any that I did not like. I agree with your assessment of the spaghetti. Some of the others that I have and have eaten (and like) are:
Beef Stew
Beef Stroganoff w/Noodles
Cili Mac w/Beef
Lasagna w/Meat Sauce
Rice & Chicken

I also have quite a few of the breakfasts. My favorite is the Granola w/Blueberries. I have found that while - OK - the Scrambled Eggs w/green peppers is probably my least favorite.

LowKey
02-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Didn't you guys try before you buy? In a pinch it's good to have something, anything, to eat but...why be more miserable?

Freeze dried isn't in my stash yet. I haven't moved beyond canned staples (and yes 2D, they are a bit crunchy but lots of minerals) at the moment but was gonna go to one of those Sports Store workshops where they let you try a bunch of different brands and flavors, all made up on the spot. They have them every once in a while...for a modest fee of course...

lucznik
02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
I have found the Spaghetti and Meatballs, the Lasagna w/ Meat Sauce, and the Rice w/ Chicken to be my personal favorites.

The Beef Stew was alright. I didn't try the Chili Mac with Beef as I don't like that even with fresh food so; I can't imagine liking it in a reconstituted freeze-dried form.

The Scrambled Eggs and Bacon seemed O.K. the first time I tried one but, I think I must have been awfully hungry that time because the second and third times I tried them I wasn't nearly as impressed. It also gave me terrible gas... I don't eat that one any more.

Mountain Man
02-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Lasagna w/meat sauce.
Spaghetti
Beef Stew
Eggs

In that order.

Trabitha
02-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Didn't you guys try before you buy? In a pinch it's good to have something, anything, to eat but...why be more miserable?

Same here. I'm ordering from APack Ready meals for this summers hiking/camping trips...and I plan to try them out then, while taking along a hot-dog safety-net. Last thing I need is to get to the top of the mountain...sit down to eat, and find that my 11 year old simply won't have it. Ugh.
(don't worry...he won't KNOW of this "safety-net", for I am a sneaky mother.) :blushing: I would just hate to find out that they aren't palatable when we NEED them.

Most of my stored food are pantry goods. Beans, rice, canned, soup mixes...things that last a decent amount of time...and that I KNOW we eat. It will be cool if these APack meals are good though. It will certainly lessen my storage space requirement.

oldsoldier
02-06-2010, 06:25 PM
i bought some but did try them. They are for my BOB.

SJJ - Do you mind if i ask what you paid per pack for the 2 serving packs?

Scratch.... I'm not sjj... But I bought several 2 serving packs of mountian house dehyds at wally world aka walmart for $5.95-$6.95 each.

oldsoldier
02-06-2010, 06:32 PM
A friend also gave me this info. Free survival food. www.efoodsdirect.com/george the phone # is 800-409-5633 He said you can get free samples of various food. HOWEVER I have not had time to check it out yet!Some of you may be interested in looking it over. I plan to soon as I have time.

Mountaintrekker
02-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Turkey Tetrazzini
Chicken Teryiaki (sp?) with rice
Beef Stroganoff
Chili Mac
Polynesian Chicken

Just some of our favorites... we also like the granola and blueberries for breakfast, rasberry crumble and blueberry cheescake for dessert!

crashdive123
02-06-2010, 07:42 PM
I did recently try the Mountain House ice cream sandwiches and neopolitan ice cream. I was pleasantly suprised. I bought several of each to put in the long term supply stuff. I figured they were a good comfort thing to lift spirits a little from time to time.

Trabitha
02-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Crash, isn't it that stuff that they used to try and sell as "astronaut ice cream"?
That stuff just through me. LOL!! The texture was odd...

crashdive123
02-06-2010, 08:27 PM
It might have been. Tasted like the real thing to me - well - without being cold, smooth and creamy.

Rick
02-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Uh....It.....I mean......Well, Yuck, again.

http://www.spacekids.co.uk/spacefood/images/icecream.jpg

Rick
02-06-2010, 08:32 PM
This is what happens when you eat WAAAAAAY to much astronaut ice cream....

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/FAT_ASTRONAUT_article.jpg

crashdive123
02-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Try it. I was quite suprised at the taste (in a good way). WalMart sells it for under $2 in the camping section.

oldsoldier
02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Try it. I was quite suprised at the taste (in a good way). WalMart sells it for under $2 in the camping section.

I agree I was surprised at the taste. They aren't bad