PDA

View Full Version : Steel source

klkak
02-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I talked to a local that makes some nice knives and I asked him what kind of steel he uses. He is a modern day blacksmith and farrier.

He says he scraps out old V-8 engines for the valves and rods. He then folds the steel together to make the bar stock for his blades (he has a pneumatic power hammer). He said he also uses chainsaw bars.

I asked him how the chainsaw bars work. He said they make very good knives. He uses a plasma cutter to cut out the pattern.

Just thought I'd mention this as another source for good knife steel.

Kevin

Camp10
02-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I never would have thought of chainsaw bars as a good knife steel! Thanks for the idea! I've heard of valves and have seen some very nice looking knives forged from timing chains. I will have to add bars to the list of metal to play with..someday.

To add to the list of sources..I picked up some old cable left from a skidder this past weekend and am going to try forge welding that into a billet this weekend.

rebel
02-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I never would have thought of chainsaw bars as a good knife steel! Thanks for the idea! I've heard of valves and have seen some very nice looking knives forged from timing chains. I will have to add bars to the list of metal to play with..someday.

To add to the list of sources..I picked up some old cable left from a skidder this past weekend and am going to try forge welding that into a billet this weekend.

I don't know the validity of this but, I've heard that all chain saw bars are not the same for good knife making.

Camp10
02-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't know the validity of this but, I've heard that all chain saw bars are not the same for good knife making.

That would make sense to me. I honestly never even thought about them as a source for knife steel. Still, I might dig up a few of the old ones kicking around and see if I can figure out what they are made from. Thanks Rebel!

Rick
I posted a knife made from the chain of a chain saw some time ago. The guy forged it into a block.

Rick
Here it is....

http://www.ckdforums.com/workshop/tut_chainsaw_burnett.shtml

crashdive123
02-03-2010, 10:21 PM
There is a guy in the local knife club that makes pocket knives using chain saw bars. I've also read that ball bearings can be good material for forging into a blade.

crashdive123
02-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Rick - I remember when you first posted that. I now have a much greater appreciation of how much went into that. Thanks for posting it again.

welderguy
02-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Rick, thats some work, thanks for posting that.