PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Newbie

Aurelius95
02-01-2010, 07:23 AM
My parents just passed through Georgia on their way to Florida for a few weeks. I asked my dad if he wouldn't mind giving me his old shotgun, that has been in storage for, well, a while. He said the last time he shot it was in the 1960's or 70's.

They arrived on Friday and he presented me with his 1953 JC Higgins Model 20 - 12 Gauge shotgun. It was originally sold at Sears & Roebuck, but my dad purchased it from a pawn shop in 1962 or 63.

I searched it on Google, and found out its year of manufacture. I also saw that there was a recall on several of the earlier models, however, it didn't affect the shotgun my dad gave me.

I have never owned a shotgun, let alone, one that is pushing 60 years old! I'm sure it will need a good cleaning, but I was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions on upkeep and maintenance? It's a pump action, and can hold five 2.75" shells. I appreciate your help!

- Mark (Aurelius)

crashdive123
02-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I think you've got it. A good cleaning, light lube and you should be good to go.

Ole WV Coot
02-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Might I suggest after a good cleaning have it checked by a gunsmith? Some older shotguns, I have a few I don't use may only handle low brass. I would have to inspect it myself and I do know until checked I would stick to low brass.

Old GI
02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
1953? Not much chance of it having a Damascus barrel?

Ole WV Coot
02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
1953? Not much chance of it having a Damascus barrel?

Don't think it has one either. Seems most Damascus barrels I've seen were on side by side doubles. This was USA made so I agree. I have a few that I really wouldn't want to use high brass in, but that's me. The ones I have are sentimental value only. I have a WWI Win.97 my Grandpa had, looks like stainless, no blue at all. I would if necessary use short brass only IF I ever shot it. It's solid, looks good but it and a few others won't be used. You can pick up a new 870 Express so cheap now I wouldn't want to ruin an old keeper.

Rick
02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I have a Damascus SXS that was probably made in the teens. A Nitro Hunter made in the 40s or 50s, single shot 12 guage that I used up until I was a teenage, low brass. A J.C.Higgins coach gun in 12 guage. Probably late 50's. I used to know the year but I've forgotten. I haven't shot the Higgins in a long time but I wouldn't hesitate to use low brass in it. I had to repair the safety on the Higgins a couple of years back but it's a good gun as far as I'm concerned.

hunter63
02-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Damascus twist haven't been made for a long time.
I seriously doubt the a J.C. Higgins had them in 1953.

Most all Sears,(J.C. Higgins) Wards (Western Field) and some hardware store shot guns were contract guns, varied manufacturers for different years.

It would appear that yours was made by High Standard.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/FAQ/414

If it's stamped 2-3/4" most any ammo, with the exception of Mag loads could be fired in it, and most/NOT ALL all Magnums are made in 3" or 3-1/2 " shells.

High brass vs low brass really doesn't tell you much, left over from the paper hull days, so the extractor could get a better grip to eject the empty shell.
Good visual check, but not "Bible"
I have some all plastic mag turkey loads that doesn't have any "brass" on them at all.

The "Brass" is really coated steel and will rust, (especially if you leave them in you duck hunting coat over the winter)

More telling is the Load info, you probably be looking for "target" or "field loads" staying away from anything that says Magnum on the shell or box (read cheap shells).

These weren't worth much when made, and worth even less now, so shoot it, have fun with it, while saving up for a Remington 870 or Mossberg pump that will handle anything.

Camp10
02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
These were made from 1946-1962 with very little changes to them through their run. They are modern enough to handle lead shot shells with no troubles. If you dont know much about firearms it might be worth your peace of mind to have it checked but as long as there are no obvious defects and the bore is free from obstructions (and free from any pitting or scale). I would give it a good cleaning and see if the action works smooth. If the safety works (unloaded first) see if it cycles shells smoothly. If it does, I would guess it is good to use.

FVR
02-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Take it down to Deercreek gunsmith in Marietta, right across from the convention center. Get Pat to take a look at it and he will give you the no BS about it.

I took him a 8mm mauser years ago and when I picked it up he told me to make it a wall gun. The guy who built it cut the barrel down where it went into the bolt action thingamajiggy and I was told I was lucky the barrel did not shoot off.

He has also worked on a few of my guns with 100% satisfaction.

hunter63
02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I'd get it checked, just for my own piece of mind.

Got a few of the wall guns myself.
Been tempted to hang one up at the cabin, with a little sign on it:

"Caution, this shot gun is a wall gun, not to be shot as it loose and dangerous.
So if you steal it, don't shoot it, as you will hurt your self."

"On second, thought, load the baby up with the biggest load you can find, so after it explodes and you blow your miserable head off, a$$ whole, at least I'll know who in the he[[ you were. AMF............"
(can you tell I've been broke in to, before?)

Haven't done it though, progally get sued, and seeing an empty gun rack thru the window, might be the best way to go.

Aurelius95
02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the input. Based on the lot number, I was able to track its manufacture to 1953. It has these pieces that screw in at the top for long range, mid-range and short range. I assume this is a primitive choke?

Frank, I'll have to remember Deer Creek in Marietta. It's a haul, as I am up 85 near the Bass Pro Shop.

I've checked some sites, and they say a gun in good condition would sell from 100 - 150. To me, if I can use it, it's worth much more.

Overall, the thing I appreciate the most from this shotgun is that it was my dad's. Last year, he brought me an old Marlin 60 that my grandfather (my mom's dad) had given my dad in the 60's. He just kept them, never shoots or hunts, so I decided that they ought to make the pilgrimage down South and receive some lovin'.

hunter63
02-02-2010, 07:56 PM
A95, sounds like it's got the early "Poly Choke" they were popular back then.

It's kinda cool using a passed down, shot gun, and I agree, it's value to you is much more than it would be to anyone else.

Congrats, have fun.