PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a knife ...

Hamza
11-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Greetings, i just bought the knife that is linked below! let me know if i made a good choice or not, i was kinda limited on money so i chose the best thing i could find for the cash i had ... give me your imput!

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-98479313539010_1973_24573243

p.s: I HATE THE SHEATH FOR IT, ANYONE KNOW A PLACE WHERE I CAN BUY NICE LEATHER SHEATHS? :D

Sarge47
11-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Greetings, i just bought the knife that is linked below! let me know if i made a good choice or not, i was kinda limited on money so i chose the best thing i could find for the cash i had ... give me your imput!

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-98479313539010_1973_24573243

p.s: I HATE THE SHEATH FOR IT, ANYONE KNOW A PLACE WHERE I CAN BUY NICE LEATHER SHEATHS? :D

That sheath looks like it works in conjuction with the small opening on the blade as a wire cutter. You might want to consider that before replacing it.:cool:

carcajou garou
11-18-2007, 10:07 PM
The knife looks like a hollow handled knife, that joint is a very weak point. Also I am not a fan of saw blades on the back of a knife as most don't have any set or are just to thick to properly do the job. Sorry :(
That type of knife would fail you when you needed it the most.
For the same cash outlay you could buy a red handled Mora that would be miles ahead and later acquire a small gardening or folding saw to go with it, if you want.
I would save my money and get the best knife that I could get and use the one you presently have in the mean time, but be carefull.

Nativedude
11-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Carcajou is right.

The knife looks like a hollow handled knife, that joint is a very weak point. Also I am not a fan of saw blades on the back of a knife as most don't have any set or are just to thick to properly do the job. Sorry :(
That type of knife would fail you when you needed it the most.
For the same cash outlay you could buy a red handled Mora that would be miles ahead and later acquire a small gardening or folding saw to go with it, if you want.
I would save my money and get the best knife that I could get and use the one you presently have in the mean time, but be carefull.

The handle is pinned to the blade. That pin is a very weak point, the weakest point, of the knife. Everyone of these knives that I have ever seen, that has been used, has failed. . .at the pin.

Here is a link to a good knife for not a lot of money, and a picture of it.

http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm#Classic%20Mora%20Knife

FVR
11-18-2007, 10:57 PM
On the other hand, it's an okay beginners knife. Better than no knife. Many of us on this board have been into knives, hawks, prim. ways for a good long time. We not only know our way around a camp, but we know a little about the equipment.

That being said, if I had a choice between no knife and yours, I'd take it.

Knives are a funny piece of equipment. Everyone has their bias', some like big blades, some like small, some like in between. Some like fixed blades, some like folders, some like serrated blades while others do not. It's all a learning process. Don't worry about the sheath, take it for what it's worth.

After reading the above posts, you know the weakness of that knife, now take what you've learned and expand on it.

Ask anyone here how many knives they have, most will have over 10. Personally, I have over a hundred in a variety of styles and workmanship. My favorites are my two Kabars, a bowie an old mountain man made me, and a trekkers basic steak knife. Ah, throw in the old Union Cutlery folder and my Gerber, and then there is the striker knife, then there are my flint and chert skinning tools, oh, can't forget........................you get the drift.

Put the best edge on it you can, carry it until you replace it. It's the beginning of your collection.

Sarge47
11-19-2007, 01:25 AM
FVR is right about "personal Preference" in knives, check this thread out:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=982

Here you'll read how one of our member's uses a 20" machete for everything.

I'm having a problem loading more than one thread at a time so I'm going to have to give you several posts on the subject as I go here. The main thing to remember, like everything else, is that your knife preference will be decided by your preference as well as your budget. It's best to start out with a "low-cost" knife as that way, if you do happen to screw it up you aren't out that much. To be continued.....:rolleyes:

Sarge47
11-19-2007, 01:30 AM
The next Knife thread for your study. You have a lot to learn on this topic.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=956

There are 3 pages here. Read them all. Study all the material I'm giving you before you ask any more questions, okay?:confused:

Sarge47
11-19-2007, 01:40 AM
this is obviously a popular topic, so "read on McDuff!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=339 :eek:

Sarge47
11-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Gettin' tired yet?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389 :rolleyes:

Sarge47
11-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Read 'em & weep, or learn.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126 :rolleyes:

Hamza
11-19-2007, 07:42 AM
Greetings, I really appriciate it! I understand this is a broad topic, i will study it and give it alot of thought, i thank all of you for taking the time and posting in order to shed some light on this issue for me! Like i already said, i'm very new to this and it's going to take alot of learning and getting used to things before i comprehend certain aspects of outdoor living, again, thank you!

HOP
11-19-2007, 09:38 AM
The moras that nativedude showed are good knifes for the money they are made in Sweden there is a nother knife from Sweden that is thicker in the spine than the mora I wil try to find the name no one in the US is offering it yet it looks lke on of the composite handle that has a little more stel all around it comes stainless or carbon (my choice)Found it they are Hultafors knives

Beo
11-19-2007, 09:45 AM
The moras that nativedude showed is a really good knife, my neighbor across the street (a big time hunter) has one and swears by it, I like it but tend to stick with the old styles like my hande made patch knife and the Bent Fort Scalper (no not used for scalping and I didn't name it) that is still hand made like the old days. Also my army survival knife is a favorite although my son has taken a liking to it.
Carcajou is also right on a lot of points, but like FVR said its better than no knife. Personally if he likes it and it works then good for him. As he gets more experience and saves money he can get a better knife and ditch the saw back for a good hatchet (or machete Jose Lobo) and he'll be fine.
Beo,

Beo
11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh yeah Sarge, ain't that trolling :D jk

trax
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Oh yeah Sarge, ain't that trolling :D jk

whoa...suhh--lappp!!!

I only own two knives (at a time), a 4" skinner and my folder that I carry all the time. They're cheap but they work. The most important thing to me is the full tang on a fixed blade. If it's "pinned" it should be because it's a folder.

Don't care for that saw blade thing either.

Sarge47
11-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Greetings, I really appriciate it! I understand this is a broad topic, i will study it and give it alot of thought, i thank all of you for taking the time and posting in order to shed some light on this issue for me! Like i already said, i'm very new to this and it's going to take alot of learning and getting used to things before i comprehend certain aspects of outdoor living, again, thank you!

More Homework, H.:rolleyes:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=272

Sarge47
11-21-2007, 01:06 AM
More knife info.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93:rolleyes:

Ole WV Coot
11-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Take a trip to dear old Wal-Mart. They carry so called collectors sets, but for $25 you can pick up a 110 Buck or Fixed & folding Remington or Winchesters. I can recommend the Buck, but don't own the others except for a very old Remington or two. When I was a kid everyone carried a pocket knife and I never heard of anyone in Eastern KY using one in a schoolyard fight, but then you could take your shotgun on the schoolbus and put it in your locker so you could hunt after school. I hunted for years without camo, fancy knives or scoped rifles, used a Case stockman for everything, and a single shot H&R 20 guage. Learn to use what you have well. An Old Hickory knife would a better choice in my opinion.

trax
11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
When I was a kid everyone carried a pocket knife and I never heard of anyone in Eastern KY using one in a schoolyard fight, Learn to use what you have well. An Old Hickory knife would a better choice in my opinion.

too right (shakes Ole WV Coot's hand) that was the way it was for us too. I didn't have a schoolbus and my home was between where I hunted and went to school, but yeah, I've carried a pocketknife all my life since I was a small child. I've never pulled it out to use in anger. Those were the days, sir, truly were.

Sarge47
11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Take a trip to dear old Wal-Mart. They carry so called collectors sets, but for $25 you can pick up a 110 Buck or Fixed & folding Remington or Winchesters. I can recommend the Buck, but don't own the others except for a very old Remington or two. When I was a kid everyone carried a pocket knife and I never heard of anyone in Eastern KY using one in a schoolyard fight, but then you could take your shotgun on the schoolbus and put it in your locker so you could hunt after school. I hunted for years without camo, fancy knives or scoped rifles, used a Case stockman for everything, and a single shot H&R 20 guage. Learn to use what you have well. An Old Hickory knife would a better choice in my opinion.

Hamza lives in Bosnia, I'm not sure if they have Wal-Marts over there. Wal-Mart also carrys the Buck "Special" #119 for $35. Not a bad deal.:cool:

Ole WV Coot
11-21-2007, 04:48 PM
GEE, I sure am sorry. I thought Wal-Marts are everywhere. When folks go on vacation from WV we always check out the local Wal-Mart to get that "homey" feeling.

trax
11-21-2007, 04:53 PM
That if there are places that don't have "wally-world" Bosnia might be one of them.

Beo
11-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah they do but its more like wally-world or war... with commando cashiers, sapper service desk, and POW shoppers.
Damn that's all of them :D

Hamza
11-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Actually i'm studying in the usa, i'll be going back to Bosnia next year, so where i'm at right now, meaning Michigan, we got plenty of Wal-Marts, i've actually seen a Winchester Fixed Blade knife, for about $ 10 at wal-mart, but i was not sure if i shoud buy it or not, it looked pretty nice, but then again, never judge a book by the cover as they say! Thanks for all the info guys, truly useful! Sarge especially, thanks for all the links and useful tips! I will probably make a trip to wal-mart on friday morning, eaaarlyyyy, they'll have bunch of stuff for sale - maybe i'll get lucky and score a nice knife, i personally love fixed blade knives, don't care much for pocket knives! thanks guys.

Adios!

Hamza
11-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah they do but its more like wally-world or war... with commando cashiers, sapper service desk, and POW shoppers.
Damn that's all of them :D

:D YOU GOT THAT RIGHT ...

trax
11-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Wal-Marts, i've actually seen a Winchester Fixed Blade knife, for about $ 10 at wal-mart,
, i personally love fixed blade knives, don't care much for pocket knives! thanks guys.

Adios!

That 10 dollar walmart knife probably would have done the trick for you, depends on what you're doing. Good place and price to start from.
Fixed blade knife might set off some alarms with people that I come into contact during my day to day work and a good folder does what I need done in that environment, each have their charms.

FVR
11-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Walmart also has in it's camping dept. fire starters if you want to try one.

Nativedude
11-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Hazma,

The Buck 110 fixed blade is a tried and true knife for the $$$. That Winchester is an ok knife, but dulls quickly when used for things like, making fig. 4 set-up, whittling, etc. The 110 has a carbon & stainless steel blade, but will discolor and rust if left in the sheath wet. The Winchester is a 440 stainless steel, not the greatest steel for a knife that is going to be used for survival.

Research and handling a knife is the best way to find the "best knife for you," but pay attention to the steel that the blade is made with. A high carbon steel holds an edge better/longer and is easier to sharpen. There are also blades made of D2 tool steel, A0 tool steel, 154cm, & AUS8. These steels cost more but the blades sharpen easily and hold an incredible edge.

Sarge47
11-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Hazma,

The Buck 110 fixed blade is a tried and true knife for the $$$. That Winchester is an ok knife, but dulls quickly when used for things like, making fig. 4 set-up, whittling, etc. The 110 has a carbon & stainless steel blade, but will discolor and rust if left in the sheath wet. The Winchester is a 440 stainless steel, not the greatest steel for a knife that is going to be used for survival.

Research and handling a knife is the best way to find the "best knife for you," but pay attention to the steel that the blade is made with. A high carbon steel holds an edge better/longer and is easier to sharpen. There are also blades made of D2 tool steel, A0 tool steel, 154cm, & AUS8. These steels cost more but the blades sharpen easily and hold an incredible edge.

Actually Buck knives are made out of 420hc. The HC stands for "high carbon". That along with their heat treating process makes a sturdy knife blade. My Ka-Bar "Bull" Dozier is made out of the AUS8A Stainless Steel. Love it!

http://www.tomarskabars.com/1275_INFO.html

Can't say enough about it!:rolleyes:

Rick
11-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I've never been one that liked to hack on stuff with my straight knife so I "built" a couple of cheap wilderness knives. I ran across the original idea on M40s web site:

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Ghurka/Khukri%20Modification.htm

and modified it a bit. I don't like Kydex or leather sheaths so I built my own. Just my choice. The blades are coated with Oxpho-Blue to keep them from rusting. The survival kit is a pelican 1010 box and you can see I use Alice clips because I still use an Alice pack. Stop yappin'. I just like 'em.

Yes, I carry a straight knife. An Ontario SP24. I also carry a nice little Old Timer pocket knife EVERYWHERE.

The Ghurka or the machette, either one, weigh less than a hatchet and way less than an axe. And if I really damage it, I still have my straight knife.

Besides, if you sneak up on a dear and tap them on the rear they feint dead away when they see that machette. :O)

Works well for me.

FVR
11-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Very nice, I've been looking at Ghurkas for awhile, but always fall back on the bowies. May need to just make mods the way I like them.

Rick
11-23-2007, 01:35 PM
That's one of the reasons I built the Ghurka. I don't like a big straight blade like a bowie. For me, they are unwieldy and too heavy. I like a small straight blade. I just think they are a bit more versatile. BUT...You still have to have something to chop with.

Nativedude
11-25-2007, 02:11 AM
I've never been one that liked to hack on stuff with my straight knife so I "built" a couple of cheap wilderness knives.

Works well for me.

Nice lookin' pieces Rick!! ;)

U.S.Marine2111
11-26-2007, 11:52 PM
I'd have to say that the only hollow handle knife I would purchase is by Chris Reeves, everyother hollow handle I knife I have seen is a cheaply made Rambo style knife. But again, it all boils down to preference and budget, like someone already said. For me however K-Bar is the way to go, cheap and reliable, again a personal preference. Doesn't look like a bad knife, how much did you drop on it if you don't mind me asking? FWIW it's probably best to review your purchase prior to pulling the trigger, vs. buying and then asking for everyones opinion. Like Sarge said, the sheath looks as though it acts a wire cutter in conjunction with the hole on the knife. You could probably be rid of it as I doubt you will find any situations where you're going to need covert access into an area protected by barbed wire or the likes in a survival situation. It's more of a gadget, even the Marines and Soldiers don't use that trash, if we're breaching we're bringing bolt cutters with us.